Tires and age of tires

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

QuiGonJohn
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Tires and age of tires

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Hi, do I have to worry about my tires "aging out" on my PCX 150. It is a 2015, which I bought in Jan 2020 and it had about 700 miles on it. So I figure it had the original tires. Now, almost 2 years later I have about 3400 miles on it. And if i am right about the tires, they are pushing 7 years. We also own an RV and there is always talk on RV Forums about replacing tires that are "aging out". So I wondered if I need to worry about that on my 150.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: Tires and age of tires

Post by big bear »

i replaced my tires on my 2016 pcx a couple of months ago they were 5 years old and were starting to wear a little i could of got more miles out of the tires but having good tires on a bike is important. I couldent get city grips due to all the parts shortages i ended up buying conti scoots they seem ok
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

I will list exact type I currently have tomorrow. What did it cost for front & back and did you have a shop install them? Like to have an idea what I might expect to pay.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

QuiGonJohn wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:25 pm I will list exact type I currently have tomorrow. What did it cost for front & back and did you have a shop install them? Like to have an idea what I might expect to pay.
I have a 3-minute video linked below that may be helpful. Pay particular attention at 2min 20sec to see how to read the manufactured date of your tires, it's a simple code to read.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho ... ORM=VDRVRV
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Thanks, here is all the info from my tires:

Front: Tire is iRC SS-560F and Size is 90/90-14 M/C 46P and Date Code is 34-14

Rear: Tire is iRC SS-560R and Size is 100/90-14 M/C 57P and Date Code is 34-14

So I gather that yes, I need to replace them. Any info you can give me on getting the same tires or if those are too hard to get or too pricey, then opinions on good alternatives, that will give me a similar ride, etc.
tomtomclub2021
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by tomtomclub2021 »

Change them. I just changed the front tire on mine, the thread was well within spec but tire was 6 years old. Difference in grip and confort is night and day, should have done this earlier would have probably saved me from crashing in cold and wet last year. Get Michelin city grip 2, they are even better that the already Good original citygrips
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

So I just did a little searching for the City Grip 2. How important are all those numbers? Obviously the rim size (14) is absolutely important, but the other numbers like I see 110/90, but not 100/90. Or I see different numbers and letters where I have 46P and 57P. Like on Revzilla, they have a 90/90-14 52S but they say it is only for the rear.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

QuiGonJohn wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 am So I just did a little searching for the City Grip 2. How important are all those numbers? Obviously the rim size (14) is absolutely important, but the other numbers like I see 110/90, but not 100/90. Or I see different numbers and letters where I have 46P and 57P. Like on Revzilla, they have a 90/90-14 52S but they say it is only for the rear.
All those numbers are important. They not only represent the width and height of the tire, but maximum speed and load ratings.
The link below has several charts giving a break-down of what each letter and number represents and is fairly easy to de-cipher. For example, the 46P means 375 lbs at 94 mph, the 57P means 507 lbs at 94 mph. Tire manufacturers factor all these variables to offer a safe and reliable tire for your scoot.
The article does a better job explaining than I can. Take a few minutes and read through and you'll have a better idea how far from your bike's original sizes you can stray and still be comfortable and safe.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle ... formation/
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Thanks, looked that over, still trying to get an understanding. So those weights you mention, would the weight load increase with a slower speed? For example, the very fastest my scoot can go is 65. And does it need to include the weight of the bike and if so, then is that factored for how much of the weight is on the front tire and how much on the rear. I have been in contact with 2 shops near me, one is the Honda dealer I bought the bike from, the other is another shop where I bought a cracked trim piece from. If a tire has all the same specs, like 90/90-14 46P, but the seller says it's only REAR vs. FRONT, does that make a difference or is it the same tire? Also, I gather going up in load/speed rating does not hurt. Like on tire I found was 52S for the front, where my current front is 46P.
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

The weight limit ratings are for bike, rider, gear, passenger, total weight. No problem going with a heavier/higher rated tire. Front and rear tires often have different tread patterns that are best suited to be used on either front or rear. All modern tires that fit your scoot will have already taken into consideration all those things during their development. Tire companies know what bikes use the smaller wheel sizes and make their tire accordingly. If you stay with a reputable tire company, and stay with Honda's size recommendations, you can't go wrong.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Well I've ordered the City Grip 2's from my local Motorcycle Enthusiasts shop. They should be in and put on next week.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Just got my City Grip 2’s installed on my Honda PCX-150. Felt odd at first, but by the time I got home I guess I was getting used to them. The salesman at the motorcycle shop said these tires are rated for 10 years (if need to replace for time vs. miles). Hope that’s true because they were about a year old, from the production date on them.
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

One more thing, maybe someone can help with. My old iRC tires had max press indicated of 31 F and 44R and whenever I checked press, that is what I set it to. Now these City Grip 2's both say max press of 45. Should I set my pressure to that. The shop that put them on had them around 32.
dankly1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2019
Color: Silver

Post by dankly1 »

As a general rule, you should set the pressure in accordance with the sticker under the seat. I believe that the 2015 is 29 front and 33 rear (36 with a passenger). Some deviate a little bit based on load or desired ride, but I will never go below the number on the sticker under the seat.

MAX pressures on the sidewall are just that...the max cold pressure that the tire can take. I don't think I've ever seen a recommended tire pressure that matches the MAX. Hope this helps.

Dankly
2019 PCX150
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
1983 Suzuki FA50
Iron Butt Association #80052
QuiGonJohn

Post by QuiGonJohn »

Thanks, I found that under the seat. Same as my manual, but the manual states it kinda funny. "With more than 200 lb of added weight". But fully loaded, as the label says, they show 33 front and 36 rear. I think I will keep them at what I was using on my old tires, 33 F and 41R. I just think it's kinda hard, do the lower pressures still assume the one rider (me) and the added a passenger (wife). What I used on the iRC was their max press off the sidewalls. The hard part is that I would think if the tires aren't pressed up to the max 45, then they really should not be carrying the max weight they are rated for.