Does my bike need an annual service if it's only done 1,500 miles?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Does my bike need an annual service if it's only done 1,500 miles?

Post by RideLondon »

Exactly as the title says. I have a 2018 PCX, which has only done 1,500 miles since its last service last November (from 4,000 miles up to 5,500). Do I still need a minor service (oil and filter), or shall I wait until I hit the suggested interval of 8,000 miles?

Many thanks.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Does my bike need an annual service if it's only done 1,500 miles?

Post by Jge64 »

Only thing I would do is change the oil annually.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
airhead83
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by airhead83 »

I've never taken my bikes to my Dealer to do a simple service (not even the 1st service when they're new). Your owners manual should give a guideline as to what needs attention, just follow it. The exception to following 'by the book' (for me) is how soon/often the mfg. recommends "Valve Adjustments". I think most are overly conservative... but that's a personal judgement.
No matter how many miles on the bike.. an 'annual service' is a really good time to give the bike a thorough look over. Tires can develop cracks/cuts from normal wear... bolts and fasteners can come loose on the plastic parts... etc.
It only takes a few dollars to renew with oil and clean/replace an oil filter... an there are plenty of how-to videos available to look at if uncertain.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

Unless somethings changed with later models, they don't have an oil filter -- only a strainer (which can be easily accessed during an oil change but doesn't get replaced).

I used to check mine "more frequently" but it's never had anything more than the odd speck of something - so these days I only do it every 20,000km or so (check the strainer that is -- I change the oil every 4000km).

I'm not an oil expert, but I have read that yearly changes are cheap insurance and cost next to nothing if you do it yourself. In your case you could probably "toss a coin"; if it were my bike I'd feel better having changed the oil but if you didn't then I doubt anything of significance would happen either. I definately wouldn't worry about the strainer.

I'm in a similar situation with a pair of Honda generators that I have for power outages - some years they only get 10 minutes running. I try to change the oil every couple of years but don't worry about doing it annually. They still seem fine after 10 years.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RideLondon wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 am Exactly as the title says. I have a 2018 PCX, which has only done 1,500 miles since its last service last November (from 4,000 miles up to 5,500). Do I still need a minor service (oil and filter), or shall I wait until I hit the suggested interval of 8,000 miles?

Many thanks.
No.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

RideLondon wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:42 am Exactly as the title says. I have a 2018 PCX, which has only done 1,500 miles since its last service last November (from 4,000 miles up to 5,500). Do I still need a minor service (oil and filter), or shall I wait until I hit the suggested interval of 8,000 miles?

Many thanks.
Alot depends on how it is stored. If it's stored under cover in an attached garage which means it doesn't endure daily temperature changes and airflow that creates condensation and even effects vapor that's collected in the crankcase - then maybe changes of the oils are not necessary. But if it's kept outdoors under a cover or in a detached garage that has significant temperature differences from day to night (especially freeze/thaws) - then I would. One quart to do both engine & final drive, hey it's cheap to do. And there is no filter only a mesh, once the screen is cleaned during the first oil change, I haven't yet read of an owner that found anything in the screen afterwards. Anyone ?

Change the oil when it's hot when the moisture & acids created by combustion are in suspension.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:30 am

Many thanks.
Alot depends on how it is stored. If it's stored under cover in an attached garage which means it doesn't endure daily temperature changes and airflow that creates condensation and even effects vapor that's collected in the crankcase - then maybe changes of the oils are not necessary. But if it's kept outdoors under a cover or in a detached garage that has significant temperature differences from day to night (especially freeze/thaws) - then I would. One quart to do both engine & final drive, hey it's cheap to do. And there is no filter only a mesh, once the screen is cleaned during the first oil change, I haven't yet read of an owner that found anything in the screen afterwards. Anyone ?

Change the oil when it's hot when the moisture & acids created by combustion are in suspension.
Still no. Check the oil level and tyre pressures and step away from the internet.

Presumably by now you have done something or nothing? Out of courtesy let us know?
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful.

The bike is stored in an underground parking lot and the temperature never drops close to freezing. I think I'll just check the oil today and possibly top it up if needed, but I doubt it needs changing. I'll get the full service done at 8,000 miles.

I'm in the UK, and I need to get the bike MOT'd by February, so I'll need to take it in for the MOT, but I won't ask them to service it this time.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RideLondon wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:27 am Thanks for all the replies, really helpful.

The bike is stored in an underground parking lot and the temperature never drops close to freezing. I think I'll just check the oil today and possibly top it up if needed, but I doubt it needs changing. I'll get the full service done at 8,000 miles.

I'm in the UK, and I need to get the bike MOT'd by February, so I'll need to take it in for the MOT, but I won't ask them to service it this time.
;) :D :D
tomtomclub2021
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by tomtomclub2021 »

Passing MoT is one thing. Caring about your bike is another. Read your manual. Besides oil, your Coolant liquid now needs being changed as it's over 2 years. get the blue one, (search this forum) it will last for 5 years after change- easy to DIY.