Lifespan

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Joshpcx125
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Lifespan

Post by Joshpcx125 »

Hi guys, I own at 2018 honda pcx 125, i bought it 2nd hand with 8k miles on. Its now on 19.5K miles. I change the oil and oil filter every 1k and do a service every 2k. Rest I change when needed. I always let it tick over for a few mins on a cold start before riding and ride steady for first 10/15mins to let it get upto temp. I rarely go above 45mph and once a month or so I go full speed just to keep things moving etc. How many miles would I expect to get before engine goes as its coming upto 20k mark. Once it hits 20k I'm going to get valve clearance checked and full service. Thankyou
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Lifespan

Post by iceman »

People have many times that on a PCX - mine is late 20k miles and runs fine - never a valve check in 7 years and usually only oil changes and pads, tires when they wear. Some say they have done 50,000-100,000.
Kept outside all year round, ride all year round, original battery and plug.
Joshpcx125

Post by Joshpcx125 »

I always keep mine running on original parts, I use mine for work regardless of weather, its kept in a garage at home and always ceramic coated. I do look after it as much as I possibly can. Hence changing the oil every 1k. I know these are reliable engines but I hope to reach 50k on it before anything serious happens
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Changing the oil at 1k is excessive.

Most bikes like this end their lives by being written off through accident damage or real neglect rather than engine wear.

You are almost certainly overthinking it.
Joshpcx125

Post by Joshpcx125 »

It's just something I've always done. I've always looked after my bike and like to get to best milage as possible out of them. For the sake of £10 for some oil, it seems worth it in my eyes
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

It’s not worth it, it’s a waste of money , it puts more used oil back out there in the environment, and it’s expensive. These bikes are made to run for hundreds of thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions. Extend your oil change interval to one year or 4000miles, that’s still OCD but will save you some money.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Joshpcx125

Post by Joshpcx125 »

I'd be over the moon if I got 100k on mine. I'd be happy if I got 50k. When I comes to bikes and cars I have major OCD with them. I can not help my self. I wash it once a week with a full ceramic coating every month aswell. I've put too much money into her
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

My PCX is at 80,000km and running fine. I do oil changes every 4000km.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

After my first dealer oil change I switched to full synthetic oil. With synthetic oil you can expect less wear on the engine, and changing the oil at 4,000 miles is still considered early (the recommended change cycle for all synthetic oil is 7,500 miles). I have done this with every bike I have owned ever since synthetic oil came out. If you want your engine to last, instead of changing the oil every 1,000 miles, switch to synthetic and change it every 4,000 miles. You would still be changing it early, but it will save you money and extend your engine life.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

Mel46 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:19 am After my first dealer oil change I switched to full synthetic oil. With synthetic oil you can expect less wear on the engine, and changing the oil at 4,000 miles is still considered early (the recommended change cycle for all synthetic oil is 7,500 miles). I have done this with every bike I have owned ever since synthetic oil came out. If you want your engine to last, instead of changing the oil every 1,000 miles, switch to synthetic and change it every 4,000 miles. You would still be changing it early, but it will save you money and extend your engine life.
Not sure if the "4,000 mile" reference was for my attention, but I change mine at 4000 kilometers (not miles) - which is exactly twice the 8000km interval stated in the Honda PCX manual. And yes - I've always used a MA2 synthetic (I run with Motul 5100 4T 15W/50), although in reality I probably don't need to change it at all anymore given that it now burns about 800ml every 4000km.

Personally, I try not to over-think it - it's just something I do (and have always done) every 4000km in the hope that it would get me more km's before having to work on the engine. In practice, I'm not sure how that will work out but at 80,000km ("50,000 miles") it's still going fine (and with no loss of power) apart from using a bit of oil on WOT runs. I'm expecting to get well over 100,000km before having to touch the engine.

To me, changing it at 1000km when - by the book - it still has (at least) 87.5% life left is just too conservative by any measure; at 100,000km it's going to have equated to $1000 worth of oil which is considerably more than a replacement cylinder, piston, and rings ... which it'll still need sooner rather than later anyway. I think the OP would be better served financially by changing the oil far less frequently and putting the money saved in a jar for engine work. Just my 10c thoughts.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Many many variables go into the lifespan of the engine. These are: number of cold starts, duration of heat up cycle, ambient temperature, load, load until fully warmed up, quality of the fuel, assembly of the engine, ring clearance, valve clearance, bearing clearance, amount of dust particles in the engine oil, viscosity of the oil, oil change intervals, ambient dust levels, condition of the injectors, condition of the air filter, quality of the spark....

These are just a few to start with.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Coasting wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:19 pm
Mel46 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:19 am After my first dealer oil change I switched to full synthetic oil. With synthetic oil you can expect less wear on the engine, and changing the oil at 4,000 miles is still considered early (the recommended change cycle for all synthetic oil is 7,500 miles). I have done this with every bike I have owned ever since synthetic oil came out. If you want your engine to last, instead of changing the oil every 1,000 miles, switch to synthetic and change it every 4,000 miles. You would still be changing it early, but it will save you money and extend your engine life.
Not sure if the "4,000 mile" reference was for my attention, but I change mine at 4000 kilometers (not miles) - which is exactly twice the 8000km interval stated in the Honda PCX manual. And yes - I've always used a MA2 synthetic (I run with Motul 5100 4T 15W/50), although in reality I probably don't need to change it at all anymore given that it now burns about 800ml every 4000km.

Personally, I try not to over-think it - it's just something I do (and have always done) every 4000km in the hope that it would get me more km's before having to work on the engine. In practice, I'm not sure how that will work out but at 80,000km ("50,000 miles") it's still going fine (and with no loss of power) apart from using a bit of oil on WOT runs. I'm expecting to get well over 100,000km before having to touch the engine.

To me, changing it at 1000km when - by the book - it still has (at least) 87.5% life left is just too conservative by any measure; at 100,000km it's going to have equated to $1000 worth of oil which is considerably more than a replacement cylinder, piston, and rings ... which it'll still need sooner rather than later anyway. I think the OP would be better served financially by changing the oil far less frequently and putting the money saved in a jar for engine work. Just my 10c thoughts.
I'm not an expert but I think changing the oil at 4k rather than 8k isn't exactly twice the 8k recommended interval. I think its somewhere around half.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Inoplanetyanin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:02 pm Many many variables go into the lifespan of the engine. These are: number of cold starts, duration of heat up cycle, ambient temperature, load, load until fully warmed up, quality of the fuel, assembly of the engine, ring clearance, valve clearance, bearing clearance, amount of dust particles in the engine oil, viscosity of the oil, oil change intervals, ambient dust levels, condition of the injectors, condition of the air filter, quality of the spark....

These are just a few to start with.
Just a few? Tell me more...
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

you you wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:30 pm I'm not an expert
I agree - you're not an expert. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?