PCX - restricting top speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ecb
Year: 2015
Color: White

PCX - restricting top speed

Post by Ecb »

Hi

I know this is the opposite to what everyone wants here.

How can I restrict the top speed without restricting performance on my PCX 125 2015?

The top speed in the city I live is 30 m/h. I would like to restrict my pcx to that speed as my wife and I we don’t use our pcx on roads with speed limit over 30m/h

Obd port?
tjupille
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: PCX - restricting top speed

Post by tjupille »

The top speed of the PCX is governed (68 mph? depending on the year), but changing that involved hacking the software in the ECU, which is a non-trivial task. A possible alternative would be to swap the variator ramp, but I doubt that an appropriate variator is commercially available, so you would have to get a custom variator machined. Again, a non-trivial task.

Easiest and cheapest would be to sell the PCX and get a 50cc Ruckus (top speed of 35 mph).
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I would not want to limit my bike to 35 miles an hour because there are times where you might want to use the power to get out of a dangerous situation. Rather, I would mount my iOS/android phone to the handlebars, download a GPS speedometer program that’s free, and set a limit of 30 mph that would ding you every time you went past that.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

tjupille wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:05 pm Easiest and cheapest would be to sell the PCX and get a 50cc Ruckus (top speed of 35 mph).
Hey hey hey, Some of us have done 60mph on that 5cc lol :lol:

You can not go past 30mph by telling your right hand to add less throttle?...... You can try limiting your throttle cable travel?....
Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 14-27-50 i dont know - Google Search.png
Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 14-27-50 i dont know - Google Search.png (65.88 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Ecb
Year: 2015

Post by Ecb »

Thank you for all replies.

I would not limit the throttle as it will limit performance as well.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Ecb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:04 am Thank you for all replies.

I would not limit the throttle as it will limit performance as well.
Then your old option is to lay off the throttle. Doubt you can find someone to reflash the ECU....
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

Jge64 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:29 pm I would not want to limit my bike to 35 miles an hour because there are times where you might want to use the power to get out of a dangerous situation. Rather, I would mount my iOS/android phone to the handlebars, download a GPS speedometer program that’s free, and set a limit of 30 mph that would ding you every time you went past that.
This is it right here. Limiting the speed to just 30mph is dangerous. You'll encounter a situation and you'll give it the beans, but you'll hit the speed limit and... it just gets bad.

In Taiwan, the speeds are just 50kph or 60kph everywhere. Sometimes even ridiculously low like 30 or 40kph. I still ride about 70 or 80 all the time and just watch out for speed cameras and police. Never had a problem.