SH150i Factories Question (Asia); Differences?

General Honda SH300i or SH150i chat, questions, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

2018SH150i
Year: 2018
Color: White

SH150i Factories Question (Asia); Differences?

Post by 2018SH150i »

Hello Fellow Forum Members,

ANYONE HAPPEN TO KNOW????

It's my general understanding that the SH150i (3d Gen >2017/2018/2019) was made (assembled from imported parts, probably) in a few places. I am particularly interested in ASIAN assembly plants.

Understand that this bike has been assembled in ASIA mainly (probably exclusively) in

THAILAND, and

VIETNAM

The bikes assembled are not identical, in that they are made slightly differently for different markets. Sometimes differences are a slight as the LED color in the dash (yellow, vs orange).

But sometimes there are major differences. For example, some SH150's available for sale in Indonesia do not have the 152.9 (153) cc engine, rather they have a 149.3 cc engine that is more commonly found in other 150cc class bikes sold in SE Asia (Vario, Scoopy, etc).

I was informed that the bikes made in VIETNAM, starting around 2018, use ONLY the 153cc engines and use a newer version of the air box; was also told that the electrical system (harness) is manufactured in JAPAN and imported into VIETNAM for final assembly; whereas a local subcontractor in Thailand had manufactured the harnesses to Honda specs for SH150's made in Thailand.

I own a 2018 SH150i in Indonesia that was made/assembled in Vietnam.

I am looking at a used 2017 SH150, that was made/assembled in Thailand.

Questions:

1. Are there actually differences in the THAI vs VIETNAM made bikes; what I was informed (by a local dealer) may or may not have been correct. People make up shit all the time lol

2. Can anyone confirm engine and air box differences between the THAI and VIETNAM made SH150's Gen 3?

3. Anyone know whether the bikes made in Thailand and Vietnam are different in any other way/respect?

4. I am inclined to TRUST Vietnam made/assembled bikes over Thailand made/assembled bikes. Why? The Vietnam factory is NEWER, the Vietnamese generally are more quality control oriented than the Thais, and an imported-from-Japan wiring harness gives mrore confidence than one made by a Thai subcontracting OEM parts supplier.

Anyone that happens to know about these specific question OR can shed light from any other perspective, would be greatly appreciated.

PS: IT DOES appear that there are fairly marked differences between ALL Asian made SH150's vs EURO made SH150's ... Particularly front end, fork, grill and lighting assemblies. Not sure why. Also not sure whether smog-rules enforced in Europe (not enforced in Asia) are reasons ASIAN and EURO 150's might be slightly different (catalytic converter? fuel maps?)

Thanks for any feedback on these questions.

William - Jakarta Indonesia August 2021