2021 PCX 160/125 owner’s review thread

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: White

2021 PCX 160/125 owner’s review thread

Post by StillThumps »

Like many others, I’ve really been very interested in Honda’s newly redesigned 2021 PCX since I heard it was being developed. And later this week my dealer has informed me that mine will finally arrive..hoorah! So, as I really value, appreciate, and enjoy hearing others opinions, experiences, and viewpoints (and I know many others do as well) I thought a new thread for all new 2021 PCX owners to share their own was in order.

I hope all new 2021 owners from any country will share their thoughts and experiences…for the benefit of all PCX people/fans.
Thanks in advance for your posts! Cheers to all, ~ST
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 2021 PCX 160/125 owner’s review thread

Post by StillThumps »

The pending arrival of my 2021 PCX this week already has me thinking of things I want to compare and critique.
I have owner experience with 2 scooters: My first was a 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400 maxi-scoot that I had for several years. That beast was a single cyl. dual overhead cam, 34 hp. freeway mile-munching scoot that could cruise at 85mph if so desired (NOT me).

My 2nd and present scooter is a Kymco Like 150i. As I’ve never owned a PCX before, this scoot will serve as my point of reference and comparison. Similar in ways to the new PCX, the Like is also a 4 valve, sohc engine rated at 13.5 hp @ 9000 rpm. It is air cooled, not water cooled as is the PCX. It also has a flat seat I can slide back on, I know the prior PCX seats have had issues for a number of owners.

1. The Like is really quick to about 45mph and drops off quick. The best speed I have gotten is 61 mph indicated.

2. The Like has great LED lights, especially the headlight.

3. The Like has disc brakes F&R with ABS…and they’re strong and work great.

Things I don’t like about the Like:

1. seat height, 31.1” I’m 5’10 and 30” inseam and am on tip toes.

2. bargain basement suspension: even for a scooter it is a real back pounder…an Airhawk helps some

3. Factory/dealer support is mostly non-existent…a REAL frustration.

These are a few points of reference I’ll use in comparing it to the new PCX. Newbies who are new to riding have a clean slate which is good in some ways as there may not be previous bias to influence things. Their reviews will be interesting.

Current or previous PCX owner’s reviews will have a great base of experience to evaluate from if they own or ride the new model.
So, as the new PCX scoots are sold and ridden and broken-in, it’ll be great hearing all the varying thoughts and perspectives!

Cheers, ~ST
mrags89

Post by mrags89 »

I have a deposit on one that just arrived in and should be picking it up this week. I had a 2013 150 in red back in 2014, so i will definitely chime in also to see how this one is to previous models as well. I look forward to everyone's pictures and first impressions!
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Good move and nice comparison. I Like the Like, but, yes, Clevelandmoto and a suburban Chicago one are the only dealers I know. The new PCX seat looks most like the ADV150's to me, so those reports may be good guides. Seat height should prove better for you, but width of the seat and floorboards can affect reach as well, as I'm sure you know. This will be my first scooter, and only my third motorbike, not counting my 2013 ebike.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Ezrider- As you’ve been a motorcycle-only owner till now, I’m wondering if you’ve had any chances to ride or test scooters? Or will this be your first experience riding a scooter? I know for me the experiences are different in many ways. Motorcycles require more attention to the actual operation of the machine since both hands and both feet are needed in concert to ride one.

Riding scooters on the other hand seem to allow me more freedom to simply be aware of my surroundings and enjoy the views, the countryside, and the sensations of being in motion. Hope your experience riding your new scooter is as fun and enriching an experience as it has been for me and so many others! Cheers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I rode motorcycles for 30 years, and my first scooter was a 2015 PCX, then got a Xmax in 2018. I really don’t see any difference at all with the shifting or the clutch needed on a motorcycle, mostly because it’s not even something you think about, or I can say it another way, the lack of all that on a PCX does not make me any more agile alert or comfortable. It’s just different, but your mind adapts. And my last bike that I had, a CTX 700, was a DCT automatic transmission which was then in use, identical to a twist and go scooter. The big advantage of a scooter is I can put much more under the seat and I don’t have to have bags or a hideous rear box, and overall it’s much nicer to get up on a curb to park in front of a store (where you’re allowed) up on the curb, and moving around the garage is a godsend compared to moving a 5 to 700 pound bike. And with my 300, it’s just as fast as the 1100s that I used to ride becauseI ride 35 to 70 miles an hour, which the X max does easily. So I don’t miss the raw horsepower of a big bike.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

StillThumps wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 am Ezrider- As you’ve been a motorcycle-only owner till now, I’m wondering if you’ve had any chances to ride or test scooters? Or will this be your first experience riding a scooter? I know for me the experiences are different in many ways. Motorcycles require more attention to the actual operation of the machine since both hands and both feet are needed in concert to ride one.

Riding scooters on the other hand seem to allow me more freedom to simply be aware of my surroundings and enjoy the views, the countryside, and the sensations of being in motion. Hope your experience riding your new scooter is as fun and enriching an experience as it has been for me and so many others! Cheers
Only once, ST, and barely: I test-rode a craiglisted Honda SH-150 a year ago, and the differences were obvious right away, particularly how your feet are irrelevant. I haven't owned a motorcycle in 8 years, nor ridden one in about 12, but I bicycle a lot, so the scooter activity really felt inactive. Heck, even my AT car requires regular right-foot action, and spirited driving especially so. But that is it; my second scooter ride will be on Thursday.

I did seek out more test rides. I have sat on an ADV150, a Piaggio Liberty 150, a Vespa 300, and just last week, an SMAX and XMax; but, I never found any of these bikes available to ride. A craiglisted Vespa owner didn't let me ride his because I didn't have an endorsement at that time, and another Vespa had a bad tire and I chose not to ride it. I was also interested in a Zuma 125, but never even sat on one of those. I have never sat on a PCX either, although I've probably sat most on the ADV150, and that's close enough for my experience, plus I couldn't sit on a 2021 anyway! We shall see, but I am PCX-pumped. Cheers and thank you.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

No worries ezrider! I think most m/c riders feel a bit strange when first riding a scooter..I know I did! The first couple times I went to use the rear brake I felt like I should be pulling in the clutch. It really doesn’t take long to get accustomed to riding scoots. Saddle-time and muscle memory are great things!🙂 Cheers, ~ ST
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Jge64 - I think you’re right-on about scooter practicality and ease of parking. I can get 4-6 bags of groceries in my Kymco between under the seat and the topbox. Cruising the countryside on my motorcycle is great too…if not much traffic. But I grew to really dislike commuting on my m/c in city traffic..especially at rush hour, 90 degrees, engine heat, and all the continual clutching and shifting between lights…ugh! That’s where I discovered the wonder of scoots..they simply rock🙂
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Happy to say I rode my new 2021 PCX home today..30 or so miles. Not a lot of time or miles but enough for initial impressions as I’ve never ridden any PCX previously. A quick review of initial impressions:

1. Build quality looks top notch. Fit & finish look great, controls naturally placed, nice large mph dash readout

2. First thing I noticed after sitting on the scoot and riding a bit is the infamous “seat hump”..feels rather confining with a built-in
but stop. I guess I’m used to the freedom of movement after being on the Kymco’s flat seat for so long. That’s fixable though with several options.

3. Even new and not broken-in the engine had noticeably more power that the 150 Like. I was doing a lot of 40-55 mph roll-ons on the way home and it wasn’t breathing hard. Very nice!

4. Handling is quick at slow speeds but feels steady and planted on the highway.

5. I did find out that non-ABS models have the parking brake knob. The ABS models have the left hand brake flip lock.

I’ll chime in later with more after I get some miles on this sweet new scooter. Cheers, ~ ST
mrags89

Post by mrags89 »

Sounds good ST! makes me even more excited when i go to pick up mine!
Newtovillagelife
Color: black/brown

Post by Newtovillagelife »

Hi All, I just recently purchased a 2021 PCX 160 in Thailand. The owners manual is in Thai, which I don't read or speak, so I had a few questions. Regarding the keyless start, how exactly does that work, can anyone send me the section of the owners manual that covers the operation. I have been locked out a few times not sure how, eventually was able to start. Also what happens if the battery in the remote dies and you are out in the country somewhere...how will you start your scooter???

Thanks any help would be appreciated.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Great, ST, and congrats on the first US-based PCX owner's report I've seen anywhere! I drove an hour to my dealer and was bummed that I couldn't see the PCX -that they were too busy and would not uncrate it until the day I pick it up. Appreciate the helpful clarification on the PCX brake knob. Enjoy your new ride and look forward to your updates.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Newtovillagelife wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:11 am Hi All, I just recently purchased a 2021 PCX 160 in Thailand. The owners manual is in Thai, which I don't read or speak, so I had a few questions. Regarding the keyless start, how exactly does that work, can anyone send me the section of the owners manual that covers the operation. I have been locked out a few times not sure how, eventually was able to start. Also what happens if the battery in the remote dies and you are out in the country somewhere...how will you start your scooter???

Welcome, and congratulations on your new PCX. In the US, the new PCX we're just now getting, alas is not equipped with the Smart Key system. When I was expecting from an early report that we were getting it, I had saved this rare English video. Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ItyS4OsNg
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Newtovillagelife wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:11 am Hi All, I just recently purchased a 2021 PCX 160 in Thailand. The owners manual is in Thai, which I don't read or speak, so I had a few questions. Regarding the keyless start, how exactly does that work, can anyone send me the section of the owners manual that covers the operation. I have been locked out a few times not sure how, eventually was able to start. Also what happens if the battery in the remote dies and you are out in the country somewhere...how will you start your scooter???

And here's one that is not in English, but is English-annotated and PCX-specific: HONDA PCX 150 SMART KEY TUTORIAL - YouTube
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

2nd short PCX ride review…only managed to get a 30 min. ride in while running errands today but it was great.
After 5 min. of riding on some familiar local roads I caught myself thinking simply..WOW! This new scoot has it where it counts in my book.

Some things I noticed:
The throttle response is instantaneous and the fueling is spot on. There is a bit of vibration at idle, but any 4 valve, 12:1 compression,
Thumper will vibrate a bit. It disappears once underway. This thing feels Alive.

Power delivery feels really smooth..very fluid and eager to GO. I’m still doing roll-ons to help break-in and find I’m smiling a lot. This scoot is in a different class from the Kymco Like 150. Early days yet but I think this scooter is going to punch above its weight class.

Tires are IRC brand, not the Michelin’s in the ads. I’ve no prior experience with this brand but they seem to stick well and track straight.

Brakes are very good. I’m particularly surprised by the rear drum brake at how well it performed and it’s easily modulated. Front disc feels strong and stopping distances felt good even though the pads and shoes aren’t bedded in fully yet and the tires aren’t scrubbed in either.

The PCX suspension for me is a breath of fresh air after riding the Like for so long. I rode over some familiar washboard roads today and
I would describe the suspension as firm but pleasantly compliant. On the same roads and bumps I would describe the Kymco’s ride as harsh, jarring, and sometimes painful. It’s still a scooter with limited suspension travel, but it seems Honda really worked on this given the limitations. Makes me wonder how good the ride would be with ADV150 type shocks.

Did manage to mount my trusty old Givi box. For those interested, the Givi mount from prior years works on this new scoot. And it’s Too soon for Givi to have a paper template for drilling the 4 holes in the little plastic tail cover..but it’s not difficult to make your own template as I did. Looks good on the PCX.

All for now, but I’ll chime in again. Cheers, ~ST
mrags89

Post by mrags89 »

Inkedimage_67236353_LI.jpg
Inkedimage_67236353_LI.jpg (192.44 KiB) Viewed 13543 times
Just picked mine up this evening as well. IT definitely is a smooth ride, haven't pushed it too hard because of the break in, buty it will turn out to be a wonderful scoot. I also took pics of the key ignition to show that they indeed took out the smart key feature and added a basic key with security cover like they have been doing for years. I have the non-abs model so i have the brake lock knob.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Glad to see that beauty in your garage mrags89! Looking forward to your reviews and ride reports. Cheers mate, ~ST
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

mrags89 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 pm Inkedimage_67236353_LI.jpgJust picked mine up this evening as well. IT definitely is a smooth ride, haven't pushed it too hard because of the break in, buty it will turn out to be a wonderful scoot. I also took pics of the key ignition to show that they indeed took out the smart key feature and added a basic key with security cover like they have been doing for years. I have the non-abs model so i have the brake lock knob.
Great, and thanks for the pic, mrags! You also got the IRC tires, I presume?
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

StillThumps wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:31 pm

...Some things I noticed:
...There is a bit of vibration at idle, but any 4 valve, 12:1 compression,
Thumper will vibrate a bit. It disappears once underway. This thing feels Alive.

... Tires are IRC brand, not the Michelin’s in the ads. I’ve no prior experience with this brand but they seem to stick well and track straight.
I noticed the vibration just starting it up. Surprised, but it felt quite "motorcycly". Glad to hear it goes away too.

I think IRC is a Thai tire. The Kawasaki Versys-X 300 comes with IRC tires and I recall on a review that while the tire report was positive on most of the differing terrain, it was definitely not good when it started raining. Of course, that's a bigger, faster bike, and I don't know that it's the same tire. Another gyp, though, with City Grips also missing on our US issue.