2021 PCX 160/125 owner’s review thread

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: White

Re: 2021 PCX 160/125 owner’s review thread

Post by StillThumps »

Out running errands this a.m. and thought I’d check gas mileage running on a combination of local roads with 45-50 mph speed limits and some residential street riding…no faster rural roads. And Yes, I was able to see 100 mpg pop up on the MPG display..very nice! That beats the Kymco 150i by 10-15 mpg.

The PCX’s suspension seems to be breaking-in as well. It is noticeably more compliant over bumps than it was on the first few rides..and it was pretty good then compared to what I’ve been used to on the Kymco.

I have an older Airhawk cushion that doesn’t fit the PCX seat well, so I’m trying another adjustable air cushion I’ve had that fits it perfectly.
WOW..really makes a big difference in comfort and shock absorbtion. The cover is breathable too which is a big deal to me especially on these hot summer rides. The brand name is unusual “Badass”..and is avail. on Amazon.

Changed the oil early before the 600 mi. as I do on all new bikes. Found some Honda Pro 10w/30 MB oil on sale. Not much of anything in the screen..a good sign. Cheers, ~ST
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Had a nice 65 mi. roundtrip ride back to dealer today to order a factory service manual and see about getting another dumb key made/ordered. The Manual was only $12 but they didn’t have part information on the new type of security key blanks yet. I’m pretty sure A locksmith shop I know could cut a new one without the shutter release on it.

The scoot is @ 300 mi. and the engine is getting smoother. Cruising at 65mph indicated the engine doesn’t feel stressed…waiting a bit before I try a top speed check with GPS. Filled up on the way home..102.5 mpg👍

Really good to see the initial posts from a number of new owners/forum members who’ve posted that they now have their new PCX.
Any of you new owners out there care to chime in with your break-in experiences and thoughts? Lots of us would like to hear from you!🙂
Cheers
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fun2scoot »

StillThumps wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:47 pm ...to order a factory service manual and see about getting another dumb key made/ordered. The Manual was only $12
$12 is a great price. That must be the digital version; The printed Service Manual for my 2015 was...what?...$70 I think.

You lost your second key? That is a shame! Call Honda and they'll send you one for free. (you get one free with a new bike)
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fun2scoot »

I meant to say call Honda Corporate. And, have your key code ready - it should be in your manual. Oh, and it took over a month to get mine.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Thanks fun2scoot! I may give Honda Corp. a call about the key availability. Anyway, I’m glad to say I haven’t lost any keys... but I really like to have 3 of them. 1 always stays home, and I always carry a backup key with me when riding..(I learned to do that the hard way)
😳d*mn!

As far as I know now the PCX service manual I ordered shows it as being a paper copy. Honda Corporate uses Helm to supply their manuals and Helm is even listed in the owner’s manual. It seems the manuals are also available to be ordered directly from the Helminc.com website. I checked the website shows only paper copies as available…and no digital forms. I prefer paper manuals anyway. $70 seems pretty steep! ..But even at that price it’s paid for itself in saving just 1 or 2 hours of dealer’s shop rate🙂

Thanks for the good tips! Cheers
beepblink
Color: Grey

Post by beepblink »

Hello All,

New to the forum.

I just traded in my 2017 pcx for 2021. Rode the 2017 for about a year and wanted ABS and keyless. The suspension was apparentlly better (also the matt colours look pretty good) so would like to share some experiences.

Its got 300km on the clock. Initially I was quite dissapointed. The engine light came on after 50km. Apparently it was a fauly sensor and was reset. OK hopefully not a big deal. The first like 200km it took 3+ seconds to start the bike. Now it seems to be pretty intstant. Also the stop start refused to work for the first 100km and seems now it seems to take like 4-5 seconds to switch the bike off for stop start (The 2017 was like 3 seconds). So for a while I was very dissapointed.. brand new bike and feels like its full of glitches.

Anyway, I like the bike in general and these are not deal breakers + maybe it still needs its full run in.

The difference in feel between the two. Straight away it feels slightly less agile in at all speeds, like there is more of an effort to turn the bike into the corner and at any speed. I have a feeling is something to do with the significantly fatter tires (Michelin city grip). Although honda changed the 'chassis' quite significantly, I don't thinks its because of that. It is probably because of these wider tires that for example I feel much more comfortable at higher speeds (80km/h and above).

The main improvent of the bike is the ride. It feels far less crashy. The old bike always fely jittery regardless of the bumps. At normal town speeds bigger potholes were a cringe moment but now you still feel them of course but they seem to be smoothed out rather than transmitted directly to you.

I dont know if its because its not run in or the two extra valves but the getaway from the lights is not as instant as on the old bike, the old bike peak torque was at a slightly lower range. (maybe after 1000km it will improve).

Also the front brake seems a little less instant on the bite. Slightly longer travel.

My average is 2.0 l/100km whilst the old bike was 1.9. So maybe it needs more time to run in before hitting that figure.

The bike did not come with a manual. Is that normal?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Of course it’s not normal, why would you think it would be? Go back to the dealer and demand a manual I and an overall check up while you’re still in warranty.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Hello beepblink, Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts around your new PCX. There are a number of new 2021 owners here in the U.S. on the forum and there are some from other countries as well. Not sure where you are from, but sadly for many the U.S. model PCX for 2021 does not come with Smart Key or Start/Stop. Euro/Asia models do as far as I know. U.S. models also have a drum rear brake but front ABS is available.
Anyway, It was good hearing that your impressions about the suspension working better and the scooter handling feeling steadier on the road at speed. Those were my thoughts as well. Keep posting your thoughts. Cheers
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Took a very nice 65 mi. early morning rural ride today and decided to check out a few performance items on the PCX while on the ride (Scooter is around 450 miles into break-in).

The Traction Control always defaults to “ON” whenever the ignition is turned on. It can only be turned “OFF” by turning on the ignition, then hitting the SEL button to HSTC position, and then holding the SET button until TC OFF light comes on. This has to be done BEFORE starting the scooter..not after. It cannot be turned off while riding.

Took a quick GPS reading for speedometer accuracy and Top Speed check. GPS showed very accurate speedo readings…
36 GPS = 36 Speedo…etc. Top Speed level ground 2-3 mph wind showed 65 mph in both directions. Didn’t want to push it as it’s still breaking-in…but right now I don’t see this new PCX as being able to reach 75-80 mph in stock form. The performance didn’t seem to change with the Traction Control either ON or OFF.
Once the engine loosens up and adding a good windscreen may add another 2-3 mph. We’ll see.

Have to say I’m loving how this scooter behaves at both lower speed AND on 55-60 mph roads. Very steady at speed and able to cruise at 60 mph no problem…and higher if needed. At no time did the engine feel over stressed. The higher speed handling is especially planted and confidence inspiring even passing semi trucks or in crosswinds...a HUGE plus for me after the unsettled handling at speed on the 12” wheeled Kymco Like. So far, this scoot is a keeper!👍 Cheers
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

While in the garage doing some of the “600 mi.” checks for loose fasteners, adjustments etc. I was aware of a couple things that seem to be common with many new bikes these days not just the PCX. A recent post from another new owner Wmillette echoed the same:

Seems many bikes ...maybe just those in the lower price range..do not come with any kind of tool kit any more…not even a minimal one.
I heard somewhere that it is listed as standard equipment..though I’m not sure if that is factual or not. I usually put my own kit together but it seems unfortunate that it’s lacking. The Kymco Like 150 did not come with one either. My Yamaha SR400 did.

The other thing I noticed is that, as good as the rear shocks are comparatively.. the PCX rear shocks lack any kind of spring pre-load adjustment. The stock setting will remain the same for a 150lb. rider..or 350lbs. of rider and passenger.
Even the Kymco Like 150 had spring pre-load adjusters (though it didn’t really matter much as the shocks are very poor).

The quality of the PCX continues to be impressive..even with these minor niggles. The fact that the scoot comes with TC, a redesigned high compression 4 valve engine, better bearings, and freer breathing intake and exhaust for essentially no increase in price speaks for itself.

Waiting to hear some other new owners besides me to chime in with their thoughts about their new scoots. Cheers ~ST
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Really not hearing much in the way of reviews/ride impressions from other new 2021 owners. I’ve just added the Honda accessory windscreen to my new scoot and it really takes the wind pressure off your chest at speed. As I didn’t see any offerings from Givi yet or other manuf. I bit the bullet and bought the factory windscreen (there is only 1 screen height offered). There isn’t much of any buffeting at all from the new windscreen but there is a fair amount of wind noise (goes away if I lower my head 2-3”).
I’ve already ordered a clamp-on deflector to help that and I always wear earplugs anyway.

New Topspeed check showed a couple mph faster @ 67mph indicated. The only other mod I have planned sometime is to add Dr. Pulley sliders. They worked really great on my Yamaha Majesty 400… and as they allow the belt to use most all of the variator pulley’s range it could get this new PCX close to 70mph which is plenty for me. Being able to cruise comfortably at 60+mph is all I need anyway and this great scoot does that already. Cheers, ~ST
Mack62
Color: Matt Grey

Post by Mack62 »

So this is my first post and my first scooter. I've been riding motorbikes since 16. My first bike was a CB350F and my last was an R1200RT. I am still in the break in period so have not been pushing it too hard but have been up over 90kph a few times. I bought this scooter for my wife to learn to ride while I await a UK to Spanish drivers license exchange agreement (post Brexit). Depending on what happens I may be need to take my license all over again and be stuck on an A2 (35kw) bike for two years. I've just recently moved to Spain.

So in Spain scooters are everywhere and it is easy to understand why. Easy to park, economic and hugely practical. I test drove the PCX, the Scooby and the Forza. Choose the PCX as it has the lowest seat height and thought this will make it easier for my wife to learn. The Forza was by far my favourite.

Initial positive thoughts:
  • crazy manoeuvrable although feels like a bit of toy compared to the R1200
  • peppy enough for in town and smaller roads between towns
  • insanely good mileage (2.1 l/100km so far and much of that two up)
  • really nice looking bike with quality paint and overall finish (mines the matt grey and it matches my lid very well :))
  • not a bad ride when I am driving by myself
  • good storage capacity
  • great lights and and dash
The not so good:
  • would much prefer a rear disc over traction control (the brakes are not fantastic)
  • for two up riding the shocks are undersprung and non adjustable (our combined weight is about 140 kgs)
  • the underseat storage still won't fit my Nolan N70 GT helmet but it also barely fits in the Shad 33l topcase
  • the stock windscreen isn't much good but keep in mind I am coming from a bike with very good wind protection
So I am likely to want to upgrade the screen to a Givi once they are shipping and will look into better shocks if we end up using it a lot for two up. Regardless of any negatives, been having a lot of fun with it.
Mack62

Post by Mack62 »

One other thing I should mention, if you take the 4 year warranty here in Spain the PCX comes with Honda Mapit. It is a GPS tracker, with a data card. The app is decent and you can setup alerts if anyone disturbs your scoot or if it leaves a particular geofenced area. It also tracks all your rides which is surprisingly useful.
IMG_20210725_160433.jpg
IMG_20210725_160433.jpg (354.68 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Mack62 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:12 am So this is my first post and my first scooter. I've been riding motorbikes since 16. My first bike was a CB350F and my last was an R1200RT. I am still in the break in period so have not been pushing it too hard but have been up over 90kph a few times. I bought this scooter for my wife to learn to ride while I await a UK to Spanish drivers license exchange agreement (post Brexit). Depending on what happens I may be need to take my license all over again and be stuck on an A2 (35kw) bike for two years. I've just recently moved to Spain.

So in Spain scooters are everywhere and it is easy to understand why. Easy to park, economic and hugely practical. I test drove the PCX, the Scooby and the Forza. Choose the PCX as it has the lowest seat height and thought this will make it easier for my wife to learn. The Forza was by far my favourite.

Initial positive thoughts:
  • crazy manoeuvrable although feels like a bit of toy compared to the R1200
  • peppy enough for in town and smaller roads between towns
  • insanely good mileage (2.1 l/100km so far and much of that two up)
  • really nice looking bike with quality paint and overall finish (mines the matt grey and it matches my lid very well :))
  • not a bad ride when I am driving by myself
  • good storage capacity
  • great lights and and dash
The not so good:
  • would much prefer a rear disc over traction control (the brakes are not fantastic)
  • for two up riding the shocks are undersprung and non adjustable (our combined weight is about 140 kgs)
  • the underseat storage still won't fit my Nolan N70 GT helmet but it also barely fits in the Shad 33l topcase
  • the stock windscreen isn't much good but keep in mind I am coming from a bike with very good wind protection
So I am likely to want to upgrade the screen to a Givi once they are shipping and will look into better shocks if we end up using it a lot for two up. Regardless of any negatives, been having a lot of fun with it.
Hola Mack: Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. I presume you have the 125, and is that the only model available in Spain? In the US, where our scooter options are quite limited, we only get the 160. A CB350F was a remarkable bike in its time and possibly unique in cycling history. Did you get that new at 16? I'm even older, as my first bike was a first-issue T500-II Titan, at 20 -a remarkable bike as well. My only other motorcycle was also a 500cc, and I rode that in my 40s and 50s.

Last month I bought my first scooter, a 2022 Yamaha Zuma 125, and I'm liking it A LOT! If available in England or Spain, it may be the BWS 125 which has been in Asia for awhile as a 2021. Here, they just arrived last month. I'm also still braking mine in, and the highest I've seen so far was on my ride home from an Ohio dealer, and it was 58 m/93 kph. I'm going to push it in a couple of days to see what it can do, but I didn't get a 125cc scooter to ride fast. It will supplement my bicycles and be an alternative to my 4-wheel (premium) gas HOG. Enjoy the PCX and Spain. Look forward to continuing reports on your migration, licence adventure, and PCX. If two-up doesn't work, you may get to like the PCX enough where a second one for yourself is the best and most-fun option.

¿Dónde en España, por cierto, si es propio? I actually hope to visit there and England, possibly next year, providence and public health permitting. I haven't been in Spain since my Titan days.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Hey Congrats! ezrider on your new 2022 Zuma 125! I’ve looked at them off/on for a long time (the older style) and know many owners have given them good reviews. I also remember the 500 Titan..it was truly a great bike in its day too. Did it feel strange at first to have a brake lever where the clutch used to be?😄

Maybe you can post your ongoing thoughts/reviews about your new scoot in the “other bikes” section…I for one would really be interested in hearing about your new bike. Enjoy riding and breaking-in your new scoot! Cheers, ~ST
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Hola & Oy Mack62..thanks for your good review of your new PCX! and good to hear from some European owners. I really agree with you about the lights. Rode mine at night recently and the headlight is simply hands down the best..better even than the Kymco’s really bright LED headlight. Another + for the new PCX! Cheers mate
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

StillThumps wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:13 pm Hey Congrats! ezrider on your new 2022 Zuma 125! I’ve looked at them off/on for a long time (the older style) and know many owners have given them good reviews. I also remember the 500 Titan..it was truly a great bike in its day too. Did it feel strange at first to have a brake lever where the clutch used to be?😄

Maybe you can post your ongoing thoughts/reviews about your new scoot in the “other bikes” section…I for one would really be interested in hearing about your new bike. Enjoy riding and breaking-in your new scoot! Cheers, ~ST
Hey ST, thanks. I am enjoying the Zuma very much and will consider posting a review on that section. I am mostly a bicyclist so I'm much more used to two-hand braking than not. What feels a little strange is no shifting, no engine braking, AND no revving: Is there any way to rev a scooter other than on a center stand?? :lol: If I can't have gears, I'd sure like a neutral. Also, irrelevant/inactive feet feels weird.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Any PCX owners or fans happen know the variator roller weight in the 2021 PCX? I’m Thinking of ordering Dr. Pulley sliders but am not sure what weight to order without knowing the OEM stock roller weight. I could always take stock rollers out and weigh them but that’s last option. Haven’t tried contacting Honda Corporate yet.

Anyway, The 2021 has been a great ride so far with close to 1k mi. on the odometer. Really felt like the scoot had gotten noticeably stronger/quicker by around the 750/800 mile mark in break-in. Puts a smile on my face every time🙂 Cheers
Mack62

Post by Mack62 »

ezrider wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:40 am Hola Mack: Congratulations and welcome to the Forum. I presume you have the 125, and is that the only model available in Spain? In the US, where our scooter options are quite limited, we only get the 160. A CB350F was a remarkable bike in its time and possibly unique in cycling history. Did you get that new at 16? I'm even older, as my first bike was a first-issue T500-II Titan, at 20 -a remarkable bike as well. My only other motorcycle was also a 500cc, and I rode that in my 40s and 50s.

Last month I bought my first scooter, a 2022 Yamaha Zuma 125, and I'm liking it A LOT! If available in England or Spain, it may be the BWS 125 which has been in Asia for awhile as a 2021. Here, they just arrived last month. I'm also still braking mine in, and the highest I've seen so far was on my ride home from an Ohio dealer, and it was 58 m/93 kph. I'm going to push it in a couple of days to see what it can do, but I didn't get a 125cc scooter to ride fast. It will supplement my bicycles and be an alternative to my 4-wheel (premium) gas HOG. Enjoy the PCX and Spain. Look forward to continuing reports on your migration, licence adventure, and PCX. If two-up doesn't work, you may get to like the PCX enough where a second one for yourself is the best and most-fun option.

¿Dónde en España, por cierto, si es propio? I actually hope to visit there and England, possibly next year, providence and public health permitting. I haven't been in Spain since my Titan days.
Hola ezrider. Yes the 125 is the only option here in Spain. It is all tied to licensing as someone with a car license for 3 years automatically gets a motorcycle license up to 125 (15hp). The CB350F was a great bike and I wish I still had it. Mine was a 1973, I bought it in 1979 from a fellow University student who needed the money for $200 CAD. The head gasket was blown on it. Cost me about $20 in new gaskets and day to install the gaskets. I drove it for 4 years and sold it for $700. The picture is a scan of an old photo when I brought it home just before Christmas. :) I replaced the exhaust to a 4 into 1 system in the spring. Sadly have almost no pictures of it.
11535902_10206560353224401_4785023858314979448_n.jpg
11535902_10206560353224401_4785023858314979448_n.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
The Titan was a crazy fast bike for it's time. All those old two strokes were scary beasts. I drove a RD350 once but never the bigger Suzuki or Kawi.

I looked hard at the Yamaha nMax 125 here but the local dealer had no stock and wasn't very helpful. The local Honda dealer was exactly the opposite. I am living in the La Safor area (South of Valencia). Enjoy your new ride.
Mack62

Post by Mack62 »

One quick update. Have confirmed that a 5kg (11 lbs) watermelon easily fits under the seat, along with 8 El Águila beer and nice bottle of Albariño. :)
IMG_20210730_105203 (1).jpg
IMG_20210730_105203 (1).jpg (295.05 KiB) Viewed 8883 times