2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: White

Re: 2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

Post by StillThumps »

Mrags89 - really glad to hear that ..looks like I will be as well. I stopped at my dealer and took a look at the PCX as it’s being prepped.
One difference I noticed between our 2 scoots was the parking brake. I saw in your pic that yours has the “brake lock” knob below the ignition, and I noticed that mine didn’t have it.
I asked the Tech. and he showed me a metal flip lock that holds the left brake lever engaged when you want a parking brake...yet another “parking brake” adaptation from Honda on these new U.S. 2021 PCX’s
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Jeeez, says the scooter greenhorn. How the heck can two new 2021 models, arriving the same week, be different on such a basic design factor?? Have you guys seen this before -the 1st week? This is also my first Honda vehicle of any kind. Which parking-brake design is better? I know I've seen the knob on prior PCX models, so I presume the lever is the new method. Seems another consequence of eliminating the Smart Key option, on the one hand, and using bin parts for some bikes, on the other. Another unexpected difference. How many other differences might there be comparing other pairs? I should visit my dealer tomorrow, but mine's an hour away. Jeeez...
Vespadaddy
Color: white

Post by Vespadaddy »

I'm in Mpls. There are 2 dealers with a PCX on the floor, Honda Town and Tousley Sports both have a non-abs copy on the floor. I am going to look at the one at Honda Town shortly, but I am just looking, as I have decided that I won't buy it without ABS (and I really want the E-key and the associated alarm), so with the chip shortage, I may wait until 2022. And then, if they decide to drop the PCX 160 cc motor into the ADV scooter.....

Anyway, if anyone in Mpls is looking, they are out there.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Vespadaddy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:00 pm I'm in Mpls. There are 2 dealers with a PCX on the floor, Honda Town and Tousley Sports both have a non-abs copy on the floor. I am going to look at the one at Honda Town shortly, but I am just looking, as I have decided that I won't buy it without ABS (and I really want the E-key and the associated alarm), so with the chip shortage, I may wait until 2022. And then, if they decide to drop the PCX 160 cc motor into the ADV scooter.....

Anyway, if anyone in Mpls is looking, they are out there.
Vespapop, enjoy your looking: it seems there aren't any on the floors in my region! I am going to pick mine up tomorrow,; but, between you and I, I believe you have articulated to a T, where my head is, if not my heart. We'll see how my soul is directed in the morning.
Vespadaddy

Post by Vespadaddy »

I went and visited the local dealer with the non abs version on the floor. I am smitten.

I currently ride a Ruckus, which I adore for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I am a city mouse. I rarely venture out to the burbs, as I fled the burbs at 18, and love city living. Hence, a 40 mph scoot fits my mission, and it means I can generally ride WFO at all times. Brake for a stop, the WFO until the next stop. I find this both enjoyable, and, given the scooter is slow, a habit that doesn't increase my insurance bill. Second, the Ruck is both small, and also plated as a moped, so sidewalk parking is A-OK.

How does this apply to the PCX? I have never sat on a PCX before today, and while the front fairing/windshield area makes it look large in pictures, the scoot seems small when you are sitting on it.

So, it is still fairly small, with good carrying capacity (I will have a rear rack), and 65+ mph. I'm trying to hold out for an ABS version with the E-key (I'm betting it is included in the 2022 model), but I liked it even more than I thought I would when I saw it today.

I can't imagine having any buyer's remorse with this scooter.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

I liked it too, but I am still not an owner. I'm sleeping on it. The salesman was surprised it also didn't come with the hazard light control as expected, something I had not noticed. Still, this dealer has no other PCXs nor ADV150s coming; nor is Honda currently making any available to them to order. We started it up and it felt and sounded so nice...
Vespadaddy

Post by Vespadaddy »

If I had my eye on the ADV150, I would def. wait to see if 2022 brings the new 4 valve head and 7 cc bump that the PCX got this year...

Sad that Honda didn't drop the price a bit given the pulled features... Especially given that the delivery is so late...
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Vespadaddy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm If I had my eye on the ADV150, I would def. wait to see if 2022 brings the new 4 valve head and 7 cc bump that the PCX got this year...

Sad that Honda didn't drop the price a bit given the pulled features... Especially given that the delivery is so late...
The 2022 ADV150 was announced a while ago, but well after the new PCX and its new engine. I was very surprised that it will be unchanged, except that it will be red in the US. You may mean calendar year 2022.

Good points on how Honda should have handled delaying US supply and then short-changing US owners.
Wmillette

Post by Wmillette »

New To Group

I was very disappointed when my pcx arrived in florida..... first one available!

Dealer ripped me off he wanted $6700 otd with transfered plate! I got as low as $5700 otd still upset..... there fees were off the chart rediculous.

The pcx came with no smart key, no tool kit, nothing but a paper owners manual!
The Digital dash has no color like in the honda pics, its very blah!

The 2 abs and non abs have 2 different emergency brakes, one pull knob on body , and abs cheap lever on brake handle!

Only things i can mention for others is this....

KEYLESS AFTERMARKET IS AVAILABLE AT 140-175 AND MINE IS HERE ON MONDAY TO INSTALL....

ENGINE START IS AMAZING! Press the sw and pow ! Theres no Cranking it just pop starts!

Also top speed is limited at 70mph even down hill,,,,

Its easy to get to 65 but 68 69 very hard if at all

Ride is rough and seat very uncomfortable

I have a youtube channel UavAdvrtising. The videos will soon be on there of the bike and keyless install

Thanks
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

what? I thought a few people here and on other sites were saying it would do 70-80 mph?…. I knew that wasn’t the case… Not in the United States
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Vespadaddy

Post by Vespadaddy »

Right, because the SMAX doesn't, right? So it must be impossible... lol
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Yam always got it right, they put a rear disc on the sMax and they gave it higher TopSpeed. But that’s never been the PCX plan. And I knew it wasn’t going to change now. Not in the US….
Glen
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Wmillette wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm New To Group

I was very disappointed when my pcx arrived in florida..... first one available!

Dealer ripped me off he wanted $6700 otd with transfered plate! I got as low as $5700 otd still upset..... there fees were off the chart rediculous.

The pcx came with no smart key, no tool kit, nothing but a paper owners manual!
The Digital dash has no color like in the honda pics, its very blah!

The 2 abs and non abs have 2 different emergency brakes, one pull knob on body , and abs cheap lever on brake handle!

Only things i can mention for others is this....

KEYLESS AFTERMARKET IS AVAILABLE AT 140-175 AND MINE IS HERE ON MONDAY TO INSTALL....

ENGINE START IS AMAZING! Press the sw and pow ! Theres no Cranking it just pop starts!

Also top speed is limited at 70mph even down hill,,,,

Its easy to get to 65 but 68 69 very hard if at all

Ride is rough and seat very uncomfortable

I have a youtube channel UavAdvrtising. The videos will soon be on there of the bike and keyless install

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your "first" find.

Could you post a link to source/info on the aftermarket keyless, please?

I noticed the impressive "pop start" too: electrics can't be significantly faster.

Can you elaborate on the "Ride is rough" please?

Sounds like you're still embracing the PCX regardless of the disappointments and downsides

Your vids look very interesting: do upload a PCX one ASAP.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

On the SMAX, I did see a US vid a while ago where the guy does show 80 mph indicated, but also a low-70s # on his GPS unit.

Still good; but, on the downside, there have been a couple of recent recalls on all SMAXs, and worse, Yamaha has announced it is dropping production of it along with several other bikes. So, the 2020 SMAX is it, and in the US, it will now be the Zuma 125 or the XMAX.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Wmillette wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm New To Group

Also, Wmillette, I suggest you now post on the owner's thread started by StillThumps.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

I saw the comments about “pop start”. I saw where on the 2021 PCX Honda mounted an electronically controlled ‘starter/alternator’ directly on the end of the crankshaft. It spins the engine directly on startup without any gears meshing or “cranking noise”. Once running it reverts to being an alternator and charges the battery. Pretty cool! ~ST
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

The alternator/starter is not new, it’s been on the PCX as long as I can remember, at least back to 2015, it was on mine, it’s primarily to save weight.
Glen
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I believe all the ESP engines had the starter/alternator combo - it is also how the idle stop works as the crank always defaulls to a known positition so the engine can start immediately.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

iceman wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:27 am I believe all the ESP engines had the starter/alternator combo - it is also how the idle stop works as the crank always defaulls to a known positition so the engine can start immediately.
If so, the "pop start" should be a PCX norm, given that ESP on PCXs goes back a decade now.

Idle stop is another feature we don't get on any Honda US issue that I know of, by the by...
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

I've been SO ready for the PCX, but, alas, the US PCX has not been readied for me.

FWIW, I've decided this morning to pass on the lovely PCX that I've awaited patiently for months and has had my name on it: just too many missing features on the (belated) US issue. I will wait for Honda to improve its practices, raise its standards, but probably now opt for another scooter or motorcycle.

I've appreciated becoming scooter-literate through the PCX and forum participants; so thank you, nevertheless. I still think that the new PCX much of the world has been enjoying for months is a beautifully-designed scooter.