2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: White

2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

Post by StillThumps »

Some Good News!! Saw today on CycleTrader at least 3 new 2021 PCX’s that are actually in dealer showrooms around the U.S. with stock numbers.. 2 with multiple pics. 1 non-ABS was in NC, 1 was in Illinois, and an ABS model was in Fla.
One surprising change I noticed from 2 of the dealers with photos was the lack of Smart key on both PCX’s. Both bikes showed standard metal ignition key and selector switch knob. Couldn’t see any illuminated dash pics, but I’m assuming (hoping!) that traction control is still standard in the U.S. models. Hope mine shows up soon!
Anyway, it’s really great to see that they’re FINALLY trickling out to dealers’ showrooms.
Performance reviews from a new owner in Australia are impressive and positive..showed top speeds in the 75+ mph range! Waiting on some reviews here in the States. Cheers, ST~
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 2021 PCX’s arriving at U.S. Honda dealers!

Post by StillThumps »

Since my local dealer doesn’t know anything yet, I know many of us are wanting more factual information about the U.S. model of the 2021 PCX, so I called the dealer in NC that has one in stock.

I found out a few things of interest from their sales rep:

1. The U.S. model does NOT come with the Smart key system like Euro/Asian market bikes do.

2. Traction Control is still apparently Standard on the U.S. market PCX

3. The U.S. model comes with a Parking Brake (not sure about Euro/Asian bikes). The knob is labeled “Brake Lock” and is mounted below the ignition near the right knee position.

The salesman also said the PCX they just got in already had a deposit on it….Of Course!🙂 I’d love hearing from others if they know more or if you’ve bought one. Cheers Everyone, ~ST
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Geeez... Exciting and disturbing for me, ST, how about you? Indeed, my dealer's report is that my order has arrived in their warehouse. I was excited when I got the news, but I'll now have to think about this quickly and prepare, because if the pictures you saw are accurate, a dumb-key bike is not what I ordered, or thought I did, based on (only) early, but comprehensive reports and pictures of what the US model would include and not (rear disk brake, idling stop, etc.). Heck, those pics, which include the smart-key, have been my screensavers since March, if not February.

Heck, again, US ADV150s and Super Cubs have had that Smart key system since last year, at least. I may decide to keep waiting. You, the (few?) others?

Edit: Yikes. I had not seen your morning follow-up. Thanks :( :o o_O :? :x :lol: :cry: :roll:
Nickypoo

Post by Nickypoo »

I just got a call from the dealer... My PCX arrived today! I'll be picking it up on Monday I'm so excited!
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Congratulations and Good for you Nickypoo! Looks like NC is getting PCX’s before us here in Ohio…sigh!
If you can, start a new topic with your thoughts & impressions of your new PCX. Many of us would welcome first person reviews!
Ride safe and have fun. Cheers
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Ezrider, I hear your quandary about the new U.S. model having no Smart key. Have to say though that it’s not really a big deal to me. The ABS, Traction Control, and overall high quality of the new PCX redesign are big draws. Actually, I prefer NOT having a Smart key myself, being as I’m a longtime fan of the old “Kiss” principle. Cheers Mate! ~ST
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Hey and thanks, ST. FWIW, my order decision was definitely grounded on, inspired by this quasi-official, usually-reliable insider-guy's February "tons of new changes" report: https://www.hondaprokevin.com/2021-hond ... ecs-pcx160 . I think that he's with a Thailand dealer, so that's as close to the action as you can get. Maybe this Honda switch is why we have no PCX update from him since valentine's day, and he expected to ride one in April -as did I as of my March order. I was definitely persuaded/seduced away from the ADV150 by this article -though those are no longer available to me anyway. I do note that the current Honda Powersports site does not show the Smart Key for the PCX, although it still shows a picture of it in the gallery: they're still revising, cleaning/clearing up it appears. Most or all else is still there, I think, under features and specifications.

The Smart Key probably will not be a deal-breaker for me, though it does include, with the remote, a bundle of features including an auto-brake, an alarm, and auto-shut-off, and I am vexed, for the record. You're right, it's the new 4-valve engine, new frame-related improvements, and other changes that matter most.

We shall see... it was a good PCX week for sure. I'm guessing that orders are being shipped according to dealers' order dates, but good luck with the expedition of your order in any case.
--------
And congratulations and salutations, Nickypoo. EnJOY and ride safely.
Vespadaddy
Color: white

Post by Vespadaddy »

Gotta be that chip shortage, so Honda punted and pulled the e-goodies to get the bikes to market.

I'll bet the e-key fob ignition is back next year, when the chips aren't in such short supply. Guessing Honda didn't adjust the price for this year...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Rather have a normal key so lucky you get that :)
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Vespadaddy, I had the same thought as you and think you’ve most likely nailed Honda’s marketing strategy. Better to adapt and get idle product to market than wait for a worldwide chip shortage to end. Those receiver/transmitters have to use a fair amount of chips.
It’ll be interesting to see what the 2022 model configuration is.

I liked the convenience idea of a Smart top box…but then I saw Honda’s eye-popping price😳. I’ll be using my trusty old Givi box with keys. Already have the PCX adapter from Givi.
Vespadaddy
Color: white

Post by Vespadaddy »

I'm with you on the smart top box angle. It also looks like the electronic mechanism was designed by an intern. It isn't flush to the back of the box, nor does it seem any effort was made to minimize the size of the mechanism. And then there's the price...

I'm still on the fence about getting one this year, if available. One benefit of the keyless ignition is increased theft prevention. If there's no key slot, they should have a more difficult time jamming a screwdriver into the (non-existent) key slot and using brute force to turn the ignition. But, I guess I'll carry theft insurance either way...
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Vespadaddy- One thing I saw in the dealer photos that I neglected to mention was that the U.S. model’s standard ignition key itself has a security device. On the scooter the ignition slot itself has a push button spring loaded metal cover that covers the slot and prevents tampering when parked. Only the special shaped end on the ignition key itself can release the slot cover to expose the key slot.
I have an almost identical setup on a Kymco scooter and it works really well. Not Hands-Free but effective nonetheless.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Keyless models may not get stolen but theives do lots of expensive damage busting the ignition area / plastics. Happened a few times. It probably does help theft wise but I would never trust that in London.

Much less hassle without it, less to go wrong and may as well use chains and such for theft protection.
mrags89

Post by mrags89 »

My dealer just sent this ins today, Richmond Virginia.
Attachments
pcx.JPG
pcx.JPG (226.74 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

Mrags89, is that a PCX you reserved that came in? If so Congrats!..They have a class look all their own. Cheers, ~ST
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

FINALLY!..had an email from my dealer that said my 2021 PCX ABS model is on the way..arriving this week. Apparently It’s the only one he’s getting in for the time being. Looking forward to riding and reviews! ~ST
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

Fantastic, and congrats, ST.: Yours made it on the first-week US shipment. Mine is also the only one my dealer is expecting.
ezrider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ezrider »

mrags89 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 pm My dealer just sent this ins today, Richmond Virginia.
Nice, mrags. Does that have your name on it? If so, that is a smart, thoughtful dealer.
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User

Post by StillThumps »

ezrider, You sound more optimistic and hopefully you’ll be riding your new PCX soon. I started a new thread for 2021 owners everywhere to chime in. It‘d be good to hear your thoughts, reviews, and ride reports in the days ahead. Cheers
mrags89

Post by mrags89 »

StillThumps wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:53 pm Mrags89, is that a PCX you reserved that came in? If so Congrats!..They have a class look all their own. Cheers, ~ST
Yes that is the one i have a deposit on. will be picking it up sometime this week.