Important Information for new riders!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SantinoInc
Year: 2019
Color: Gray

Important Information for new riders!

Post by SantinoInc »

Ok, so I'm a super n00b when it comes to scooters and motorcycles. My 2019 PCX has only been in my possession for less than a month and I've gone on it less than 10x so far due to my fucked up schedule, weather, etc. Anyway, what I have lacked with road time I tried to make up with by learning basic scooter/motorcycle techniques. Something that I never heard of was COUNTER STEERING. I literally never knew that when you're riding say 15mph or more in a straight line if you push the right handle bar forward the bike will go to the right despite the fact that the front tire is directed to the left. I'm sure that most of you guys already know this stuff but there may be a couple of fellow noobs out there that are not familiar with this concept so I figured I would post two links on YouTube to illustrate the importance of this concept.

Video 1 is a near fatal accident that occurs because the rider is going too fast and didn't grasp the physics of "counter steering"
Video 2 is what I feel to be the best explanation and example of how counter steering works.
Hope these videos can help someone...I know they definitely had an impact on me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVE79XT8-Mg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzk8oyNO708&t=505s
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Important Information for new riders!

Post by Jge64 »

Some of these concepts can get really confusing for the new rider. I went through this when I first came back to riding after 10 years I took the motorcycle safety foundation courses -both beginner and advanced, and then read the big book of proficient motorcycling by david hough . I finally decided to just go out and practice the way that I could turn quickly and not worry about what I was “supposed” to do. That has worked fine for 12 years now…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
SantinoInc
Year: 2019
Color: Gray

Post by SantinoInc »

Jge64 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:00 am Some of these concepts can get really confusing for the new rider. I went through this when I first came back to riding after 10 years I took the motorcycle safety foundation courses -both beginner and advanced, and then read the big book of proficient motorcycling by david hough . I finally decided to just go out and practice the way that I could turn quickly and not worry about what I was “supposed” to do. That has worked fine for 12 years now…
The guy in the first video certainly looks pretty confused when he tries to steer hard to the right 3 separate times instead goes to the left right into incoming traffic. I would agree that the concept is certainly confusing but it is worth committing to your riding muscle memory. I think even more important though is not driving too fast and thinking you're a better rider than you really are.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

I only just lean my bike gently to turn. Meaning to say I just shift my weight left and right instead of interacting with the handlebar. I think I go slower than average rider.
ImageImageImage
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

I don't consider it a push left or right thing as much as a push down as I lean left or right. It's just how I visualize it. Doesn't take much to have the bike go the way you want when you're doing it.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX