Has the Forza died?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Has the Forza died?

Post by mymitzi »

Maybe too late to help with the "tire loosing air". Yesterday.........was checking my tire pressure for PCX & Forza.............topped them up a few pounds.
This morning, was pushing the PCX out of the garage and could feel it was hard to roll. Rear tire was flat. Coincidence?? Aired it up and did
a soapy water test..............no leak?? Pretty sure the valve stem got compromised [while checking pressure day before]..........removed it , cleaned it............reinserted........holding fine. If soap test is a fail.......Valve stem could be the culprit.....
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Front tire still good.

I added a bottle of Ride-On for insurance. My front wheel has a few dents in it. I ride HARD!!!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I had a few good rides this week.

On Monday I did Merritt, Spences Bridge and back to Hope. Just after Merritt is the junction where you can go to Logan Lake or to Spences Bridge. Both are nice roads. I chose Spences.

I met a herd of about a dozen Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep. They blocked the road and took their time moving to the side.

It was windy in the Fraser Canyon but the heavy Forza just plowed its way home.

When I got home I found out that the RCMP had been shooting people at the junction a few hours after I had passed.

Yesterday I was supposed to have a phone visit with my doctor to re-new my useless prescriptions. I am typing this still waiting. Pretty useless.

I was pissed off so I went on another ride. This time I went from Hope to Princeton to Merritt and back home. The RCMP COVID roadblock was unmanned so I had an ice cream at East Gate.

There was still snow at the side of the road at Allison Pass (4400 feet). I climbed up to Sunday Summit and a small deer tried to run me over at highway speed. I hit the brakes hard. I saw a pair of moose in a pond but they were gone by the time I stopped, no pictures.

I got to Princeton and filled the Forza up with 5 liters of gas. Merritt was only another 100 km but you never know what is going to happen on the back highways. Fires, riots, RCMP, landslides, washouts can mean very long detours.

Highway 5a is a delightful road for the Forza when it works but a nightmare if it breaks. Mine has 157,000 km on it now so I worry sometimes in the middle of nowhere.

I got to Merritt and decided I wanted some grocery store sushi. It was late in the day and it was discounted. I had not noticed when I got to the cashier that the discount also had a 30% discount. So how old was this???

I filled the Forza again with 3 liters because I was unsure if the RCMP COVID roadblocks were in place. I might have got halfway home and then be forced to turn around. A full tank is good tank.

The Coquihalla Summit (4000 feet) was partially blocked by a truck tire tread across a whole lane. I pulled in at the nearby Zopkios mandatory truck brake check. I could not tell which of the dozen trucks had a blown tire.

I found the truck going down the steep hill going very slowly with the four way flashers going. One of the drive tires was making a lot of noise. I passed the truck where the highway was burnt from a previous truck fire and another truck fire and even more truck fires.

There is no fire department on most of the Coquihalla Highway. If the truck burns, it burns for a few days. I saw one truck fire during a hot summer where they called in a heavy lift helicopter to dump water on the cargo of burning 2x4's.

I got home and there was a Chinese air filter in my mail box for the Forza. I left the front door unlocked in case the old sushi caused any problems.

The useless doctor has not called me. Lunch and then mow a few lawns if it is not raining too hard. The Forza needs washing.

I ordered a Continental Conti Scoot rear tire yesterday. The Shinko has 8000 km on it now. I want to get ahead of the game this time. Have the next tire here and waiting.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Nice to hear your tales!

I watch 'Highway through Hell' on TV so am familiar with a lot of the Coq area that you describe. It sure is a beautiful area.

Keep traveling and stay safe!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am not sure but I think I am in the background on a few Highway Thru Hell episodes. I ride so much that I end up at a lot of crash scenes.

I bought a stolen/recovered Dodge Dakota truck from Jamie Davis's mother one year. The holes where the locks were pushed out were still there. Bad electrical so I sold it.

I also did volunteer work with Al Quiring's father Bob at the Abbotsford Airshow for a number of years. We had a huge shit tank drop from a sling. The shit went flying that day.

Jamie towed me about 35 years ago from an Abbotsford bar. I should not have been riding anyway that night.

One of the minor characters had his 5th (???) wedding a few doors down from me. He died of cancer just to get out of that last marriage.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You should keep a diary and see if it could be pulled into a book.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

davenowherejones wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 pm I am not sure but I think I am in the background on a few Highway Thru Hell episodes. I ride so much that I end up at a lot of crash scenes.

I bought a stolen/recovered Dodge Dakota truck from Jamie Davis's mother one year. The holes where the locks were pushed out were still there. Bad electrical so I sold it.

I also did volunteer work with Al Quiring's father Bob at the Abbotsford Airshow for a number of years. We had a huge shit tank drop from a sling. The shit went flying that day.

Jamie towed me about 35 years ago from an Abbotsford bar. I should not have been riding anyway that night.

One of the minor characters had his 5th (???) wedding a few doors down from me. He died of cancer just to get out of that last marriage.
Cool!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I just finished two Harley Davidson test rides. The 500 pound 2014 Honda Forza 300 felt positively lightweight.

I rode the Pan America 1200 Special first. It lowers the tall bike at stop signs. Very heavy and too tall for this old rider. I punched the bike and broke my thumb nail. Ouch. I left blood on the HD.

I rode the electric LiveWire next. Lower but still really heavy. It needs a windscreen and higher bars. My belly was on the “tank”.

Scary rides. I will keep the Forza.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

Two years ago my wife, who has a Forza, had a hankering to get a Harley Freewheeler (the tricycle).
When she test rode one it felt so weird, because you don't lean on the corners, that she decided to stick with the Forza. :)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am going to wash and wax my Forza tomorrow.

Not because I want it clean but so that all my neighbours can see me.

Some of them might even pay me the money they owe me for cutting their lawns.

I need cash for the insurance.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Not much to say about the FORZA..They are sooo damned bullet proof. Run and run and run.. Just tires, oil, and belts now and then.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Don't forget the valve check! Ah, just kidding : )
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Forza got a brief wash. No money was collected. Waiting for the rain to slow down. I might even have to wash the dishes.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I rode on this Father's Day from Hope to Hedley and back.

I went slow today because it was very hot. Under 100 kph. I pulled over lots.

Hope to Princeton 90.5 miles per Canadian gallon ( 32.2 km per liter),
Old Hedley Rd to Hedley & back 107.7 mpg (38.3 kpl),
Princeton to Hope 98 mpg (34.9 kpl)

2014 Honda Forza 300 with 158,802 km

I had some good but a bit expensive homemade ice cream in Hedley.

A few people did some dumb things but no one did anything really stupid. The RCMP were not seen the whole day.

A Porsche club was out. About 40 of them passed me. There were a few supercars slumming in the group as well.

The Shinko tires are working OK. The above numbers are out a bit with the 60 series rear tire. How does the Forza determine speed?
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

VSS - vehicle speed sensor - is located in the final drive case.
Remove air cleaner housing and rear wheel. Unbolt sensor.
So it counts revolutions of the hub. Change the tire diameter/ circumference and this will effect the speedo reading
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My next rear tire arrived today from Montreal. A ContiScoot 150/70-13 made in Korea.

So how skinny do I let the Shinko get? I think I can ride it for a few more thousand kilometers.
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Post by canthai »

Tires are all that keep the bike planted on the road.
Use worn/old tires at your peril
When to change - when not safe
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Tires are expensive for me. I use them until I figure they are not safe.

I use them longer than most people.

I ride a low power SCOOTER at slow speeds.

A race bike at high speeds would have me changing tires more.
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

Been riding the Forza for the past two weeks. Serves my daily commute and one 130 mi round trip to photograph some hummingbirds. Replaced the rear tire 2 weeks ago, re-installed the original Dunlop I had in storage. Will order another Michelin when this tires runs low on tread in 2k mi. I need new rear pads too. I road the City Grip down to the cord. (I installed the City Crip shortly after initial purchase. So I would be good for a few seasons.)
I had no idea how thin the bottom of the tire is once the cord is exposed. It's very thin.
Dave, amazes me when I see 95,000 miles on a scoot. Mine just reached 8,000 mi this past week. I bought it with 550 mi I think 4 years ago. How long can I expect the front pads to go?

The highlight of the season for me will be in Sept when I travel to Elk Co, PA to photograph the annual elk rut. I tow the scoot, set up camp and use the scoot to transport me around the county with a large 500mm lens, body and tripod camera set up strapped down. No shots from the car window as I travel around but I usually set up on the edge of the fields using a tripod anyway. The campsite is 5 mi deep in a PA forest riding a semi-packed gravel road. Can get hairy. It always a great week and parking at the best spots is never an issue.
A9_04211.jpg
A9_04211.jpg (195.88 KiB) Viewed 10119 times
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

No riding this weekend. We have a severe hot spell. It was 43.8C or 110.8F yesterday. Some kind of record for here.

It is 41C and rising right now. My AC is not good.

Drink water and watch Formula One next.