How-To VIDEO: Center Stand Removal and Maintenance

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

How-To VIDEO: Center Stand Removal and Maintenance

Post by iceman »

Ok, not a PCX but the centre stand and bits are the same - and although covered previously in this forum, this video is an excellent tutorial on how to remove, properly clean and re-instant the centre stand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91Hb5AHirnQ

Mine needs doing badly as it does not go up by itself now without a little help - maybe the spring is weak but the shaft and pin are very dirty now and rusty so needs some major attention. I do have a new stand and spring (not pin) so if I can get the pin out, should be a major improvement once cleaned.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: How-To VIDEO: Center Stand Removal and Maintenance

Post by mymitzi »

Mine needs attention too...........Thanks for sharing.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Hope to tackle this in about a weeks time when off shift. Although my stand freely raises and lowers, and the spring may no longer be strong like it used to be, I am worried I will have trouble getting it off. If so, I'll just take it to a trusty bike MOT/repair place I've used for years.

Someone on the FB Forza forum was talking about this issue. Seems the £5000 Forza 125's are plagued with mechanical issues includeing many having centre stand issues within the first 2-3 years of ownership from new. One person broke part of the metalwork and had to use a thick bolt and drill-through to repair it.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Yeah.....probably will tackle the center stand servicing myself. Think that guy left out the part of the video showing the "spring struggle".....maybe??.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Happy to report...........done. [except for the lost washer..........always something. Used the tried and true 10 Quarter insert between coils.
That and a vice grip to tug on the spring. Still need a pretty fair tug but not bad. Set the side stand on about a 1 inch+ board......not too
high as to jeopardize the scooter. Then could lower the center stand for easier insertion of the coins. W/o the lost washer,maybe 20 mins.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

OK......update The above "Happy Report" applies to my 2014 Forza 300. The Quarters did not go into the coils on my 2013 PCX. However,
was able to pry the spring off [front end] pretty easily.[straight screw driver] Went back on even easier with a LARGE Phillips screwdriver first try!
This time, hooked the spring on the front post......and used the phillips to slip it on to the back catch. That notch stayed in place as I stretched it on. Toughest part was getting shaft out. Like the man said in the video, soak it the best you can with penetrating oil. Good idea to let it soak over night. I was impatient. Was able to do, w/o removing the muffler. [Would have made it easier though..... to drive the shaft out].
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I felt really tired after a bought of night shifts but thought I would tackle the centre stand before rain hits in a few days.
After positioning the bike and getting prepared I then realised I would need to remove the exhaust to be able to tap the pin to push it though, so for now put the operation on hold for a short while :)

Although there is going to be dust and crud build up, I believe the spring is weak now as I have always used the centre stand and it's a '14 reg. Where the spring end meets the support, looks rusty so hope I can get the pin out.

I knew I had a new stand and spring from partzilla long ago, but forgot I also bought a new pin - so whether I use all of them or not I have all the bits I need.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Good to remove exhaust. Will give you a straight shot at the pin/shaft. Spraying with penetrating oil really helps. Probably won't be a "next time"
but if there is, I'll remove the exhaust too. Knew both scoots needed that done and your post got me going on it.........Thanks. Wish you well.
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

I have disconnected and connected many centerstand springs over the years...here's how I do it:
With the bike on the side stand and centerstand up, tie a long cord to one of the rear wheel spokes, assuming cast wheels. Run the cord thru and above the hooked end of the spring that lives on the centerstand lug.
Pulling the cord will lift the spring off the stand. Same method for reinstallation.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Now you tell us! : ) Thanks Honda c110 Nice/simple fix.
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

You're welcome!
I generally uses a long work boot lace, and gloves. If it'll work on a V-Strom or Bandit it'll work on a PCX...