Mirror Won’t Tighten?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dank_nipples
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Mirror Won’t Tighten?

Post by dank_nipples »

I have a 2014 Forza 300 and my mirror is floppy and loose. I had ridden it to and from work a couple days before I found it and I had no issues with it. I suspect my wife might have done something to it after trying and failing to get the bike back on the center stand after she had moved it in the garage, although she claims she only grabbed the handlebars and not the mirror post; however I remain skeptical.

I am wondering what my options are as it is not functioning as it is, and if I try to tighten it, it gets tight about 1/4 turn in the hole too early and then passes back to floppy.

Is it stripped? Is there any hope of having a tight mirror again without using JB weld? It looks like there is some sort of collared nut and then another nut stacked on that on the mirror post that I could potentially adjust to get more or less threads on the post to make it work, but I can’t get either of them to budge. I tried to use some gas line thread tape to make it tighter and it works OK for buzzing around my neighborhood and stuff but it’s not perfect and there is no way it will stand up to 75 MPH on the interstate without flopping.

Any input anyone has would be appreciated!
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125
canthai
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Mirror Won’t Tighten?

Post by canthai »

Loctite 442 will do it
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

You are correct in that the collar can be adjusted so that it tightens once you get a few threads into the hole, the collar may be a reverse thread, meaning to loosen you’d go clockwise .....put a pair of vise grips on it and try that before you start using using products in the hole like JB Weld.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Here's how you're supposed to fit and adjust mirrors.
The mirror stem has a thread and a nut on it.
With the mirror taken off the bike:
Put the nut as far up the stem as it will go.
Next:
Screw the mirror stem into the mount hole as far as it can go then unscrew it to position the mirror arm where you want it to be, usually at 90 degrees to bike centreline works best.
Once you have done that, hold the mirror stem and screw the nut down the stem to lock it in place.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Pull the mirror completely off. Then look at the threads. If they are stripped there should be a service somewhere that can re-thread it. Once that is done you may need a washer and some Loctite, but it should be fine. (I am assuming that the loose area has a bolt, not the top area that can't be tightened. Picture of the mirror after you have pulled it???)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If the threads on the mirror stem are trashed, throw the mirror in the bin and get a pair of CB500X mirrors, they're the same shape with longer stems giving a better rearwards view.
If the thread in the mount hole is stripped it can be helicoil repaired.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dank_nipples

Post by dank_nipples »

Thanks for all the replies. None of the threads appear to be stripped on either side as far as I can tell, but I’m wondering if the last thread right up to the adjuster nut might be stripped and that’s why I can’t turn it.
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125
dank_nipples

Post by dank_nipples »

I am happy to report I got it tightened back down. The “collar” screws into the hole normally and is actually what the mirror post screws into, and then the mirror post and the nut are backwards threaded which explains why I couldn’t get it undone yesterday. Just took two 14mm wrenches one to hold the collar and the other to tighten down nut. Thank you to everyone that replied!
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125