Ditch the Expense of Car/Truck/SUV Ownership and . . ..

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Ditch the Expense of Car/Truck/SUV Ownership and . . ..

Post by Mel46 »

Only occasionally do I see an actual, original Mini driving around here in the Atlanta area, and I am always impressed that it is still running.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

i have a 2018 honda fit its white great car to bad there no longer selling it here
Yeah . . . I saw that.

I've had my share of cars and trucks over my lifetime and can honestly say the Fit represents some of the best characteristics of any of them. It's like a "Swiss Army Knife" of automobiles.

It will haul a lot of stuff with the rear seat folded down (and pull a utility trailer), has a great sound system, air conditioning does the job, has spirited acceleration for a 1.5 liter engine, excellent fuel economy, and it's easy to see what's around you. Equipped with a backup camera it's easy to park in tight places. Having the 6 speed manual gives it a high fun factor. For what could well be my last car I'm totally happy with it.

If Honda does reintroduce the Fit to the U.S. I hope it's just an improved version of the current combustion engine powered model. Not the electric one as a "lease only" model. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :?

After all, Kawasaki recently brought back the KLR 650. :D
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Driving home from a rodeo 47 years ago in a 1953 flathead ford V8 pickup with this song playing on my Lear Jet Cassette and a young lady who I had just met fell asleep on my shoulder, I kind of needed a truck back then
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Only occasionally do I see an actual, original Mini driving around here in the Atlanta area, and I am always impressed that it is still running.
Certain cars are destined to become an "icon" and some aren't.

They don't have to be the fastest, biggest, most expensive, or most equipped. But they do have to strike a certain chord in the soul of the onlookers.

TBH I would definitely rather have an original "Mini" than a Chevy Suburban. In fact I'd rather have a new Mini than a Chevy Suburban. Most of the time I see the Suburbans on the road there's only one person in them . . . the driver.

I can understand having one if you own a business or need it to haul a large family and their stuff but just to drive around in? . . . what's the point? :roll:

A PCX would do nicely instead. ;)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Driving home from a rodeo 47 years ago in a 1953 flathead ford V8 pickup with this song playing on my Lear Jet Cassette and a young lady who I had just met fell asleep on my shoulder, I kind of needed a truck back then
Great story!

Makes me think this . . .. :D

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

As I have mentioned in the past, we recently moved out of the county we had lived in for over 30 years. We are now quite a distance from everything we grew to love in that county. However, one of the things we don't miss is all of the Suburbans and spinoffs from it. It seemed like every family with 2 kids had at least one of them. Some had two of them or something similar. That is East Cobb...home of the East Cobb Snobbs.

When we moved there it wasn't as snobby. In fact, it was just right. Then all of the corporate giants started moving their companies from the North down to the South because of taxes and other things. Pretty soon home prices started to climb, and regular homes were being demolished, being replaced with mini-castles. Along with the castles came the expensive cars.

Soon it wasn't unusual to be driving to work in my little Hyundai, and being passed by a Maserati or a Cadillac Escalade. Then those drivers started to drive like they were immune to laws and courtesy. By the time we moved we were watching 5 to 10 accidents a day right in front of our subdivision.

On the day we moved we were clipped by a fast moving car that blatantly ran the red light 5 seconds after it had changed (we got use to counting to 5 before moving after getting the green light because of that kind of problem.) By the way, it was a hit and run because the car didn't even slow down after clipping us.

Why is it that having money means forgetting courtesy?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Why is it that having money means forgetting courtesy?
For some it breeds a feeling of "entitlement".

There are those who just feel that they are a "cut above" the "masses" and are privileged to do as they feel (within limits they feel are reasonable).

I know what you mean about the changing characteristics of neighborhoods.

I've seen a lot more "crush" and "create" development going on in my area also.

There is a mass migration of people leaving the cities looking for new lives elsewhere.

Sadly the "Mayberry RFD" way of life is a fragile and not geared for overcrowding and greed. :?

Taking a ride on the scooter is good therapy to cope . . .. :lol: :roll: 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Bit of a coincidence but my 1969 988 Morris Mini Cooper should be back on the road this summer after a 35 year break. Any interest in pictures?
Oh yes, very much.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Old Grinner wrote: Taking a ride on the scooter is good therapy to cope . . .. :lol: :roll: 8)
Oh, but I wish I could! Winter is here, unfortunately, and the weather is just not cooperating. In the Spring there will be bikes out on the roads just about every day, but in the Winter it is just too cold and wet.

Spring will be here soon!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150