70000km (40000 miles) CVT/engine service?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

pingo
Year: 2014
Color: White

70000km (40000 miles) CVT/engine service?

Post by pingo »

Hello everyone, first-time poster here.

I've recently bought an SH150 ABS 2014 in Italy, just shy of 70k km (40k miles) and with unknown history. Pardon me for asking in the PCX section, I figured since it shares the engine and almost all of the CVT with the PCX 150, I'd just ask in this section since it gets way more views and has more experts.

So I drove it for a hundred km and it seems in good shape, the only odd things I can notice are:
- abnormal noise coming from the clutch/variator/gearbox when driving or when manually spinning the rear wheel while the scooter is on the center stand. To me it seems to fit the description of the clutch bearing failure described many times on the PCX
- substantial clutch chatter which goes away when the bike warms up (I've read recommendations to swap clutch pads with 22535-KVB-900 so might try that)

Finally, my actual questions are:

1. If you were in my shoes, which parts of the engine and CVT would you take a look at or simply just swap out as a precaution?
2. Does the PCX service manual mandate any major procedures or part swaps after this many driven km's?

I am currently visiting Indonesia and I am trying to source all the spare parts I might need as they are 50-70% cheaper here compared to Europe and luckily most parts seems to be same parts number across the SH150 and PCX150 (PCX150 being way easier to source parts for).
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: 70000km (40000 miles) CVT/engine service?

Post by Oyabun »

On Indonesian part costs, I'd change all drive related parts on an unknown service maintenance history. Drive and driven face, rollers, complete clutch, drive belt etc.
Practically everything in the variator housing. And I'd change gearbox oil also.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

pingo wrote:
Finally, my actual questions are:

1. If you were in my shoes, which parts of the engine and CVT would you take a look at or simply just swap out as a precaution?
2. Does the PCX service manual mandate any major procedures or part swaps after this many driven km's?
1. Go with an aftermarket Variator, Driveface and maybe clutch assembly.. Pretty cheap and at least you will start with all new components. Belt too.
2. Time will tell if you need a new cylinder or if your crank bearings are bad.. Other than that, Im sure you are fine. Pay attention to oil consumption.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I concur, my aftermarket varactor wore out at ~27K miles of use. It might of already been replaced, the symptoms include stuck acceleration, king of like stuck in gear. The clutch pads, the recommended pads will fix the clutch chatter, but a side effect is slow takeoff. Change the outer clutch bell too. The clutch bearing failure noise is only evident when the clutch is disengaged. It's quite loud when they go out.

The easiest would be to just do what other members here have recommended and just replace everything in the CVT housing.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
pingo
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by pingo »

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will go on the hunt for parts to swap out all everything in the CVT.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I would only put OEM parts.