How Fast ?

General Honda ADV150 chat, questions about the ADV150, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

properperson

How Fast ?

Post by properperson »

75mph on the ADV - not bad for a 150 scoot .....
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (85.38 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Re: How Fast ?

Post by Conelite »

How did you manage that? Heard ADV's are very limited even with mods.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
properperson

Post by properperson »

Conelite wrote:How did you manage that? Heard ADV's are very limited even with mods.
bike not stock.....

Has IRC Z Series road tyres (120 on the front rather than 110)
Carbon clutch pads
Groved clutch cover.
Air box snorkles removed - Huricane stainless air filter replaced the oem one
18G weights from 2019 PCX ( OEM variator )
yellow clutch spring .....

A standard ADV is not as quick as a 2019 / 2020 PCX, which it shares the same bhp engine - In fact most folk are disapointed with the ADV's off line / mid range pulling power when they first get it, assuming the engine is very tight and it will improve over time - but thats not the case - For some reason Honda use 20g weights in the ADV and 18g in the PCX - also the ADV has a different clutch spring .....

Maybe Honda want to reduce the ADV's grunt, to make it better off road ??

By changing the weights to 18g and fitting a yellow clutch spring - The ADV will then be faster off the lights / midrange than the equivilant PCX - Removing the snorkles and fitting a sports air filter improves things further still, and the carbon clutch pads / groved clutch cover get the power down onto the road will less slipping .....

And the good news is that with these mods, the bike round town and at slow speeds is exactly as it was from the factory, beautifully smooth and a delight to ride, without the mearest hint of jerkyness........ But when you open it up, -it pulls like a steam train, almost like you've found another 100cc's from somewhere....

Far too many folk go like sheep and buy an aftermarket "sports" variator, which typically comes with 9, 10 or 11g weights with the promise of improved performance - But in reality the bike will rev like crazy, rattle like billy-o and have the "Honderness" sucked out of it - Thus spoiling the bike .......
kebabby
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by kebabby »

thanks for the information. Do you mind me asking where you bought all the gear from and who fitted it?

Cheers
FierrogirlsADV
Year: 2021
Color: Blue

Post by FierrogirlsADV »

Following. We put the variator and 12/13 gram rollers on one of ours. And the yellow spring. It does have a lot more torque and pep off the line- but this seems like another good option. So just swap the rollers out for 18g and they fit just fine in stock ADV? Thanks for the info 😃
EricV
Color: Silver

Post by EricV »

Keep in mind that Properperson is in Indonesia if I recall from other forums. :)
Honda ADV150 #371
Tupelo, MS
IBA #488
OldManDigo
Color: Red

Post by OldManDigo »

Did any of you tune your adv's after all these upgrades to the Scooter. I've changed the exhaust and I want to change the intake. I am wondering if I have to tune it after all those changes
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

You don’t have to tune the bike after adding a pipe or an air filter, it’s such a small engine that it won’t really do a whole heck of a lot of good and since the bike has computer control , there’s really nothing to tune.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
OldManDigo

Post by OldManDigo »

Oh alright good to know. I was trying to do that with the adv. I already added a pipe. I was going to change the air filter too but a lot of people said you need to tune it at that point.
ScottydADV
Year: 2019

Post by ScottydADV »

Hi new member here, coming from the Philippines. Alrighty, so my ADV is roughly 2 years old. Got in early 20, and ran the hell out of it stock for basically 8 months. So during those 8 months here's what I observed.
1. Pulled off the line decently but with a bit of hesitation
2. I could feel very mild drag, otherwise negligible
3. Power came on very linearly, not strong, but consitent
4. Was able to max it out at 119kph, straight road, very slight downhill road (tucked)
5. 44.4 kmpl mileage (mixed riding styles)

On the 9th month I decided to change things up since I was taking it for an oil change and needed maintenance for the variator (belt), so I ended up putting 17g rollers, a new variator set (forgive my ignorance, I'm not too well versed with the variator parts) belt I believe is stock, stiffer spring (engaging at 1200 rpm), got a locally manufactured exhaust system and a higher flow filter element, as well as changed the fuel pump assy (since I was one of those who experience premature fuel pump failure). Now sadly, here's what I noticed.

1. Initially pulls well, but there's a noticeable flat spot in power right around the midrange
2. Power seems to be spotty, but does improve when revved out
3. Some drag/hesitation from time to time when peeling off
4. Maxes out at 111kph down the same stretch of road (tucked)
5. 38.8 to 39.7 kmpl mileage (mixed riding styles)

Hope you guys can give me advice on this. I did try going back to the stock exhaust but kept the cvt mods and had minimal gains with regards to engine performance, so I put the aftermarket exhaust back, and of course did it because I enjoyed the ruckus the aftermarket exhuast makes (who doesn't?)

Any help would be appreciated.
Hobbit112
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Gunmetal

Post by Hobbit112 »

FYI that is speedo km/h, not GPS corrected. Can be off by 10+% or more. Lower profile tires and smaller rims can also inflate speedo reported speed as speed is taken off gearing in hub.
2019 Honda Click 125i
Yuminashi 164cc bore kit w/150 head
32mm throttle body and intake
13.5° SpeedTuner variator
15gr Dr. Pulley sliders
100/80-14(F), 120/80-14(R) Pirelli Angel Scooters
YSS front fork kit, YSS G-Series rear shock