Gas to put in my PCX 150

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Re: Gas to put in my PCX 150

Post by jkautz »

ScooterMan wrote:I use 87 in the winter and 89 in the summer here in the USA.

Higher octane gas is actually LESS volatile. Higher octane gas reduces combustion temps and detonation because it takes longer to burn. In other words, 87 is more flammable!

To fight detonation, you need to understand what causes it. There are 3 things

1)High outside temps (summer)
2)High altitude
3)Load (throttle position) & long inclines, heavy riders, etc.

I like using 89 in the summer as I ride full throttle on the freeway in 90-100 degree heat sometimes and encounter some inclines. 87 could possibly have me detonating. Prob not, but just in case, I run 89 in the summer.

What is wrong with running 91? SOme will say you are just wasting money, but there is another reason NOT to run high octane fuel when you don't need it. Your engine (combustion chamber) will accumulate carbon deposits if you run high octane fuel when not necessary that over time can rob performance. On 91, your engine can't burn the entire fuel mixture in time (since 91 takes longer to burn) and attaches itself to the valve heads and combustion chamber as carbon buildup.

So yeah, for the most part, run the recommended gas and oil!

Regarding oil...the plain bearings on the crank and the oiling holes in the motor (orifices) are designed to flow a certain amount of oil through them. You change the viscosity by running too thick of an oil, and the top end can be oil starved at times, same with the piston skirts causing premature wear. You go too thin on the oil, and the plain bearing could be left unprotected by the "too thin" oil film between the surfaces.
What oil do you run on yours? 10w-40? Sythetic?? Semi??

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Now that we have 2 PCX 150 scooters (vs 1 PCX and 1 Burgman) plus several small Honda pieces of equipment such as a new lawn mower, I have done a bit of reading in the Honda manuals that come with them. I don't know if there is much of a difference between their small engines but in their manuals for those other pieces of equipment they tell you to use an additive when using gas with 10% ethanol blend. Therefore, I now rotate between Seafoam and an ethanol converter/additive. I also have 3 gas cans at home that I put the additive in when I fill them. I can fill all of my equipment from those cans plus my bikes...or I fill up after a ride and go right home to add the additive in preparation for the next ride. I use 87 octane gas, but for those who live outside of the United States I understand that our octane rating system is different from yours. Notice that I said I 'understand' that it is different. I am no expert. I just noticed that the formula for calculating it looks different than what is used elsewhere. In any case, if we are out in the country try side and run low on gas, we look for a gas station that does not advertise 10% ethanol added.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

dasshreddar wrote:The pcx 150 owners manual says (PON)86 or higher octane... whatever "PON" is?
I've been using 91 all the time, but I would be curious to see the results, if any, if you did 87 one week 91 another week etc...
Where was that guy getting his 92 from?
Old Post... been using 87 since... works fine( even with cam and intake parts).
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I have been using Rotella full syntheitc in the dark blue bottle 5w-40. I also have been known to run Mobil1 too...just depends on what I have handy. But always full synthetic. I wouldn't hesitate to run 5w-30 in there though either. Just don't go 20w-50, straight 40 weight, or 0w-10, 0w-20, etc. Keep it in the ballpark.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

ScooterMan wrote:I have been using Rotella full syntheitc in the dark blue bottle 5w-40. I also have been known to run Mobil1 too...just depends on what I have handy. But always full synthetic. I wouldn't hesitate to run 5w-30 in there though either. Just don't go 20w-50, straight 40 weight, or 0w-10, 0w-20, etc. Keep it in the ballpark.
Rotella full synthetic in the dark blue bottle? Isn't that the T6 diesel engine oil?

Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

jkautz wrote:
ScooterMan wrote:I have been using Rotella full syntheitc in the dark blue bottle 5w-40. I also have been known to run Mobil1 too...just depends on what I have handy. But always full synthetic. I wouldn't hesitate to run 5w-30 in there though either. Just don't go 20w-50, straight 40 weight, or 0w-10, 0w-20, etc. Keep it in the ballpark.
Rotella full synthetic in the dark blue bottle? Isn't that the T6 diesel engine oil?
Yes, it's been a popular motorcycle oil though, even for cars. Has very good resistance to sheer which is great for performance applications, or longevity. Not necessary to use a non "energy-conserving" oil though in the PCX since it doesn't share the transmission oil with the clutch like a regular motorcycle. So, any car oil is just fine. But synthetic is always preferable. I run the Rotella T6 in my modified Subaru WRX running on e85 and it puts down 440tq to the wheels. SHop recommended that oil.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

Good to know. I run 15w-40 Rotella in my truck in the summer and the Rotella T6 5w-40 in the winter. So maybe ill use the 5w-40 T6 in my PCX since I always keep a few dozen quarts on hand.

Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

For those of you who live in Thailand, have you noticed a big difference between 91 gasohol and E-20? A friend who has an older PCX (125) swears by E-20 and recommended I try a tank. Any thoughts or real world experiences?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry, I have only used 91 so I can't offer any feedback.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

jkautz wrote:
The_Head wrote:I use 87. We do have 85 here, but I don't think I'm going to risk it to save 8 cents on the fillup.
It sounds like not one person answered this question lol Is it okay to run the premium 91 octane in a PCX150 or not?
Yes. You will notice absolutely no difference in performance.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
chowzai
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Post by chowzai »

Guys, I use v power nitro + unleaded just now with octane rating 99. Lol. The engine is so much more responsive to the point I had to go back and check I put in unleaded. Not anything else. I personally highly recommended.

Acceration is also much quicker. Maybe it was because I had below a half tank before and a full tank now but that shouldn't make a difference.

R
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Okay. YES you may use anything from 86 octane on up in your PCX. NO, there will be no consequences other than too much money spent on high-octane fuel you don't need. No carbon or other abnormal residue, no valve damage, no extra heat, nothing other than overspending on fuel. I work in powertrain engineering for a major company we all know and love for many years, now. I have developed and tested quite a few motors and have never seen any damage caused by high-octane fuel. We do all early (and sometimes full-program) development with MS8004. It is 97 RON fuel with no additives(and REALLY pricey). As development progresses we continue on testing and developing the calibration with whatever fuel the motor is designed for. Hot-rods typically require high-octane (min 92 at the pump)(because we develop more pressure with them) while our base or ordinary duty motors are all designed to run on 87 E-10 (at the pump). Honda has developed and calibrated these motors to run 86 min. octane. You may run all the 90+ fuel you like without any consequences other than higher cost. Are we all clear on this, now?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, I filled my bike with 91 octane and before I left the pump I heard a high pitched squeal, almost like a cry, from my wallet. I can't be sure but I think I heard that every time you fill your tank with high octane fuel an angel cries. Hmmm...maybe that was the angel and not my wallet??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Mel46 wrote:Ok, I filled my bike with 91 octane and before I left the pump I heard a high pitched squeal, almost like a cry, from my wallet. I can't be sure but I think I heard that every time you fill your tank with high octane fuel an angel cries. Hmmm...maybe that was the angel and not my wallet??
Hi Mel, can I (steal) appropriate that line "an angel in my wallet"? I hear a hit single in there.

One other thing, someone here asked what "PON" meant in Honda's octane spec. It stands for "Posted" octane number. "RON" is "research" octane number. There are others (MON for "motor" octane number, the list of these derivations goes on).
Honda calling out "posted" octane number suggests to me (my opinion) their motor is capable of running on nearly anything referred to as "gasoline" that will burn(outside E-85)(that's a whole different can-o-worms).
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Non-eth 90 (REC90) for mine.....very local and top tier.....nice to live near marinas....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

I put pure gasoline in my tank and continue to do so(beyond the PCX), the 89 octane is just a bonus, it doesn't come in any other flavors.

Hard to say if there's any real benefit in doing so, I just don't think there's any benefit in diluting fuel with ethanol.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

91 e10 deff makes mine feel peppier...
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

Pcxdemon wrote:91 e10 deff makes mine feel peppier...
That's what I use here in Bangkok. We also have 95 E10 widely available, as well.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I run 98 Vpower in mine from Shell stations.
aka DrewJW
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

To clarify,
We here have unleaded 91ron, 95ron and 98ron as well as 91e10 ( 10% ethanol mix) and the e10 is the only one that gives a slight but noticable power difference on my Pcx as mine is highly tuned so the difference is slightly easier to tell.