General Suspension Questions

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: White

General Suspension Questions

Post by Chris753 »

Hey everyone!

I am starting to realize what the PCX is really designed for, and my focus is shifting to the suspension...
(Just today, I was able to go 56 miles in speed limits 35-45, and I got 126MPG, amazing! It was very enjoyable as well.)

In general, I find myself getting 'bucked' off the seat more than I would like just at 35MPH alone. I am having to re-adjust frequently back onto the seat where I was. (I am 135 LBS)
I've also found the suspension really translates rougher roads into my seat as well...roads such as chip seal roads that are not so smooth.

I've found the worst is where two pavements meet, and if that section has buckled upward at all it creates a big buck and I'm off the seat.
So to clarify, I'm not really talking about huge pot holes I usually can go around those. (I know some may say go around bumps, or take smoother roads, but that isn't always possible)

So do I need a softer suspension to absorb the bumps? Or would a stiffer suspension counter act the bucking?

Right now it's mostly the rear I'm having issues with bucking me off the seat.
I'm thinking of the recommended standard YSS Z-series at $140 or so...Or would the NCY Rear struts with the dual adjustment be better? ($375 ish)

Just for fun, here is a picture from todays ride
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: General Suspension Questions

Post by gn2 »

Take the weight off your butt as you approach the bump.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

gn2 wrote:Don't ride feet forwards, tuck them back a bit and take the weight off your butt as you approach a bump.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

The YSS shocks have quite a bit heavier spring rates and more substantial damping than the oem ones.
With your weight they would be quite uncomfortable.if you have a riding buddy or a gopro, you should check what causes the uncomfortable hits on the rear suspension. It might be that it is due to hitting the end of the travel.
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

gn2 wrote:Take the weight off your butt as you approach the bump.
gn2 wrote:
gn2 wrote:Don't ride feet forwards, tuck them back a bit and take the weight off your butt as you approach a bump.
Thank you gn2, I have utilized this method quite a bit, however I will try scooting my feet back even further to see if it helps.

My main annoyance is if the bump is in a shaded area where I can't clearly see it, or I'm watching traffic closely and happen to not see it...it just scares me a bit one second it's smooth the next I'm up in the air.

Oyabun wrote:The YSS shocks have quite a bit heavier spring rates and more substantial damping than the oem ones.
With your weight they would be quite uncomfortable.if you have a riding buddy or a gopro, you should check what causes the uncomfortable hits on the rear suspension. It might be that it is due to hitting the end of the travel.
Okay, this is why I ask first :) I suspect that could be an issue, however I am some what surprised it seems that 3.0" rear suspension travel is the norm for other scooters too...so I am not sure :\

Here is a example of what typically can buck me off. I have highlighted it, notice the edge of the patch is slightly elevated...imagine that but more so around here, and also stretch that patch all the way across the lane...When I hit those at say 35 MPH it bucks me right off.
2020-11-02 16_49_12-Clipboard.png
2020-11-02 16_49_12-Clipboard.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2948 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I bought adjustable shocks for our bikes, and then we adjusted them to suit our riding style. Different adjustable shocks are made for different weight carrying capabilities. If you purchased a YSS shock the was meant for a much heavier person, you might find yourself bounced off of the bike when you hit a rough spot in the road.

I can't recommend a particular set for your weight, but whatever you get, make sure that it is adjustable and not the XL for heavy riders.
Here is the link to a good site, but it will be up to you to read up on it on the web. This website does have a wide selection, and wide pricing, of YSS shocks. Also try using the forum search facility for YSS shocks. There has been a lot of discussion about them. They are a great improvement to add.

https://bikerzbits.com/yss/honda/pcx-shock-absorbers/

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... 09#p117457
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... 315#p74815
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... 09#p117651
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2530
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

gn2 wrote:Take the weight off your butt as you approach the bump.
Credit to gn2, I honestly think this might be the best answer. Looking at all the options I see, alot of shocks are north of $200 before shipping and taxes, and it is hard to justify.

I took a 67 mile ride yesterday and didn't get bucked as much, I realize that the bumps that are the worst are also just as jolting when I take them in a full sized car too, and no shock is going to help that.

I found what also helps, is at least for me to ride with the toes of my feet fully forward against the base of the sport / cruising foot section.
This allows me to gently push down on my feet forward, taking the weight off my rear, but it also helps in keeping my rear from sliding forward on every bump, allowing for a more pleasant ride and not re-positioning all the time.
AsokPCX
Year: 2017
Color: Black/Orange

Post by AsokPCX »

I bought these for mine, XLoad springs for my weight 115Kg + pillion.

https://www.yss.co.th/product-detail.ph ... rd=&page=1

They help but the biggest improvement to the 'bucking' is a bespoke seat. basically the whole seat is now flat with the rear.

It is very comfortable and the added height in Bangkok traffic is fantastic.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

How many miles on your scoot? When I bought my scoot with 7K miles, the suspension didn't bother me. But at 38K miles I started to feel every bump, many of the bigger ones I had to lift my but of the seat otherwise I felt my spine compress, lol. After I added the YSS shocks, front and rear. I didn't have to avoid every single bump on the road and those big bumps I could ride through them without lifting my but of the seat. There is one downside though, I can feel the smaller bumps now, so the the scoot shakes more while going down crummy roads. I still lift my butt off the seat when approaching those big bumps though, but I'm just not as concerned about them. Also my suspension doesn't bottom out anymore. As for my question on the miles of your scoot, when I removed the original shocks from my PCX, I noticed that they felt pretty worn out. If I would of replaced them with new ones, It might of helped a lot.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

Gil wrote:How many miles on your scoot? When I bought my scoot with 7K miles, the suspension didn't bother me. But at 38K miles I started to feel every bump, many of the bigger ones I had to lift my but of the seat otherwise I felt my spine compress, lol. After I added the YSS shocks, front and rear. I didn't have to avoid every single bump on the road and those big bumps I could ride through them without lifting my but of the seat. There is one downside though, I can feel the smaller bumps now, so the the scoot shakes more while going down crummy roads. I still lift my butt off the seat when approaching those big bumps though, but I'm just not as concerned about them. Also my suspension doesn't bottom out anymore. As for my question on the miles of your scoot, when I removed the original shocks from my PCX, I noticed that they felt pretty worn out. If I would of replaced them with new ones, It might of helped a lot.
Hi Gil!
It has 12K miles on the clock
I think when I originally posted, there were a variety of things at play.

I had put a new rear tire on, I think that even though technically I let it do 100 miles to break in before I started complaining, it didn't really break in until mid November really. I put it on in August so I'd say about 250+ miles it really started getting better.

I also found that running 30 psi rear instead of 33psi helps substantially for me. Even over the huge bumps it is much less violent than before...this makes sense, at 33PSI cold the tire would probably warm up to 38PSI or something, with less cold PSI it helps out once the tire warms up too.
I think I am running about 25 - 26 in the front, that also helped a little bit too.
(Keep in mind, I weight say 140LBS, if I packed for a trip I would increase PSI; also this will likely slightly decrease the tires expected life too)

The biggest thing I found though, was to push your toes all the way forward (Long legs here) against the base of the "highway risers" -if you will- but not actually on them.
Then once I come up towards a rough section I just kind of push down and forward with my legs...This pushes my rear, back and up slightly...kind of almost rolling up a few inches on the backrest portion of the seat.

This made the ride much much MUCH better for me, as a large problem I originally had was constantly re-shifting back to my original riding position, after sliding forward on the seat after hitting a bump...that technique keeps me fairly locked in the seat position and helps with the bumps.

Sure the monster bumps will still get me now and then if I don't see them in time, but I would say those tips cut down 80% of the issue which is good enough for me :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

My worry is damage and wear to the front wheel brace(s) rather than me - some roads in London have pot holes, suck drains, bumps every 5--100 yards. Terrible as spending too much time looking down on the road than ahead.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Chris753 wrote: Hi Gil!
It has 12K miles on the clock
I think when I originally posted, there were a variety of things at play.

I had put a new rear tire on, I think that even though technically I let it do 100 miles to break in before I started complaining, it didn't really break in until mid November really. I put it on in August so I'd say about 250+ miles it really started getting better.

I also found that running 30 psi rear instead of 33psi helps substantially for me. Even over the huge bumps it is much less violent than before...this makes sense, at 33PSI cold the tire would probably warm up to 38PSI or something, with less cold PSI it helps out once the tire warms up too.
I think I am running about 25 - 26 in the front, that also helped a little bit too.
(Keep in mind, I weight say 140LBS, if I packed for a trip I would increase PSI; also this will likely slightly decrease the tires expected life too)

The biggest thing I found though, was to push your toes all the way forward (Long legs here) against the base of the "highway risers" -if you will- but not actually on them.
Then once I come up towards a rough section I just kind of push down and forward with my legs...This pushes my rear, back and up slightly...kind of almost rolling up a few inches on the backrest portion of the seat.

This made the ride much much MUCH better for me, as a large problem I originally had was constantly re-shifting back to my original riding position, after sliding forward on the seat after hitting a bump...that technique keeps me fairly locked in the seat position and helps with the bumps.

Sure the monster bumps will still get me now and then if I don't see them in time, but I would say those tips cut down 80% of the issue which is good enough for me :)

Great observation and fix. Tire pressure didn't even come to mind, but will keep it in mind when the subject comes up again.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.