How to reduce your coronavirus infection risk

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

How to reduce your coronavirus infection risk

Post by gn2 »

Link to an explanation of how coronavirus spreads and how to reduce your risk of infection.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... e-air.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How to reduce your coronavirus infection risk

Post by fish »

Could you please summarize the article?
(I can't open because I don't "agree", to their terms of usage )
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

fish wrote:Could you please summarize the article?
(I can't open because I don't "agree", to their terms of usage )
Fish
+1
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

In all seriousness, it's saying what I've been saying all along (knowledge that I've received from epidemiologists that I deem to be credible) - and thats that the virus is transmitted as an aerosol.

If you walked into a room with poor ventilation that had someone smoking in it for several hours the chances of you being able to smell the smoke particles would be approx 100%. If someone with COVID-19 has been breathing in a room with poor ventilation for several hours then anyone else entering that room is probably going to catch it for the same reason (regardles of whether they "socially distance" or not); particles of smoke/virus float around.

This is what's REALLY p*ssed me off about CDC/WHO advice - there are currently over 1/2 million infection control failures occuring each and every day now and STILL they won't warn people about the need to ventilate rooms and get as much fresh air into them as possible. If EVERYONE used a bit of common sense and followed some easy to follow infection control protocols the virus would be gone from planet earth in about a month -- but it seems that a relatively high percentage prefer massive loss of life and widespread economic carnage that will impact their children and grandchildren for decades.

This winds me up too much - so bricks or bouquets, I'll just leave it at that.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Lysol or Clorox in a slow drip will cure it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately I can go into any store here, large or small, and I will see at least one person who refuses to wear a mask, even though there are signs everywhere that state that customers MUST wear a mask. What do you suppose happens if they bring Covid-19 with them?? Do you think they care? They will fight the store security and management but they WILL NOT PUT ON A MASK, even if there are little children in the room near them.

Gee, why is Covid-19 spreading...
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I wear a mask too any time that I leave my house. I rarely take it off for anything. I don’t eat out, and I only go out when I need to pick up prescriptions or any important appointments. However I do think it spreads almost 100% of the time where person is spending more than 15 minutes in close proximity to an infected person. That’s why when you open up the bars, the churches , weddings and any close gathering indoors, you get a super spreader event.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Anytime I have to go into town to get groceries or enter some other establishment I put my mask on in the car before leaving and keep it on until I return home.

My goal is to get my stuff and get out. I don't chat on a cell phone going down grocery aisles and I follow the arrows taped on the floors. It amazes me how many people I see going the "wrong way" and don't seem to care. Or, they go part way down an aisle, grab something, and then go backwards (wrong way again) to exit the aisle.

I dislike it when I hear people in stores coughing (like clearing a lung . . . not just a light cough).

Granted some have smoked for years or worked in places where they had bad air and can't help it but you just never know who's got COPD or who's got COVID.

If I do have to talk in a store I try to keep my distance and keep it brief and make sure the mask is covering both my nose and mouth. 8)

Rant over . . .. :roll:

On a positive note I can't say enough good things about my Honda Fit. Great car!!! :D
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

Masks don't do any harm, but the vast majority don't do a lot of good either. If you're in a confined area with 100 people and one isn't wearing a mask you're far more likely to catch COVID-19 from someone wearing a mask simply because there's a far greater chance that one of the 99 with a mask will have the virus vs the one who doesn't.

Masks have the potential to stop droplets being ejected, but they do ZERO to stop the virus passing either way as an aerosol; the virus is so small that trying to stop it passing through a mask would be like trying to catch cement falling from a ripped bag with a tennis racquet in that most of it wouldn't even touch the sides.

In the absence of wearing a N95 respirator (or a SCUBA tank (obviously that would be ridiculous -- even though it would be very effective)) the best advice I can offer is to play the odds and limit your exposure to confined areas that have lots of people;

- Limit shopping to buying esentials only - no unnecessary trips.

- Limit the number of trips you make by buying more each time

- Try to shop at a time before a lot of other people have spent time there (especially if the store isn't ventillating with fresh air - which is probably all of them).

Treat shops like active war zones where everyone is trying to kill you and nobody can be trusted. Be conscious of what you touch and sanitise before and after.

The public REALLY need to sort their priorities out if they want to get this under control. Visits to non-essentials like bars, the churches, weddings could ALL be deferred without consequence in these life-threatening times - but (as per usual) the stupidity of a few will mean that the actions of the rest are null and void - and thus it'll continue to accelerate. 536,733 infection control failures in the past 22 or so hours -- will probably be another record (or close to it) (highest was 548,85 infection control failures yesterday). We're not even at the end of the beginning of this thing yet.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Our groceries are brought out to my truck, no-touch. Fast food , the same. Library items the same.
Walmart delivers to our door.
All prescriptions are mail order.
I frequent a vacant coffee shop, and sit outdoors.
I mask up at gas stations and wear gloves.
Family and friends visit by phone.
Daughter goes to college in her bedroom.
We all mask up every time we leave the car or the house.
O.S.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

fish wrote:Our groceries are brought out to my truck, no-touch. Fast food , the same. Library items the same.
Walmart delivers to our door.
All prescriptions are mail order.
I frequent a vacant coffee shop, and sit outdoors.
I mask up at gas stations and wear gloves.
Family and friends visit by phone.
Daughter goes to college in her bedroom.
We all mask up every time we leave the car or the house.
O.S.
Would be great if everyone in the world followed your lead. The stats have just rolled - 573,616 infection control failures yesterday. Will probably be up to 1,000,000 per day in a few weeks; that'll be one way to achieve herd immunity whether they strive for it or not - just a pity a LOT of older people will die in the process (toss a coin as to whether I'll be one of them).
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I,m an old guy who understands that self preservation is #1 in our genetic make-up but sometimes think how long do you want to last?
As a buddy explained you don't want to end up in a place where you hide your own Easter eggs.
It is the younger people who are left to pick up the pieces, stripped of their aspirations and are left to mourn without any guidance who concern me.
If you're needed you will probably hang in there- if not- well draw your own conclusions.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

relic wrote:I,m an old guy who understands that self preservation is #1 in our genetic make-up but sometimes think how long do you want to last?
Well I just turned 60 - so my answer to that is "a few more years yet" ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well I am one of those at risk people and I can say that I do not appreciate other people making the decision as to whether I get exposed or not. They do that every time they walk into a public place without a mask and dare anyone to do anything about it.

Yesterday we went to help a widow who had lost power from the hurricane. Trees and telephone poles are still down in her area... in fact, one of the entrances to her street was still completely blocked.

On our way there, which is 36 miles away through winding back country roads, we stopped at a coffee shop to pick up some fresh coffee for us and for her. We had to go inside to get the drinks. There was a HUGE sign on the door that stated that masks MUST BE WORN by customers who enter. The shop had all of the other precautions in place as well.

So, while we are picking up our order, in comes a lady without a mask. Shop personnel tried to ask her to please put on a mask, but she just glared at them. She didn't abide by the 6 foot distance markers. She didn't stand at the order spot a few feet back from the counter. Instead, she came right up to the counter, put both hands on the counter, leaned over into the counter space where the personnel stand to take orders...forcing the cashier to step back...pointed to the items she wanted while repeating the names of the items...and generally got in everyone's space.

When she picked up her order she bumped into other customers without saying "excuse me", and left her hand marks on counters, chairs, doors, and wherever else she went. Zero apologies for just being rude. It was a small store, and with all of the seating closed off temporarily so that only left the 'take out' area for potential customers. There were 3 other customers. That lady didn't even wait in line. She just pushed others out of her way and went straight to the head of the line. THESE ARE THE TYPES OF PEOPLE WHO WILL KEEP THIS VIRUS ALIVE.

Enough said.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

When she picked up her order she bumped into other customers without saying "excuse me", and left her hand marks on counters, chairs, doors, and wherever else she went. Zero apologies for just being rude. It was a small store, and with all of the seating closed off temporarily so that only left the 'take out' area for potential customers. There were 3 other customers. That lady didn't even wait in line. She just pushed others out of her way and went straight to the head of the line. THESE ARE THE TYPES OF PEOPLE WHO WILL KEEP THIS VIRUS ALIVE.
That's a shame you had to deal with that Mel . . ..

Judging by your description I'd bet she was either an "ignoramus" or "totally wasted". :roll:
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

Mel - she sounds like she has an appalling attitude, but please don't make the mistake of thinking that you're safe just because everyone around you is wearing a mask. Masks may stop droplets but they do ZERO to stop the virus spreading as an aerosol. If you're unlucky enough to inhale some of the air that someone with the virus has exhaled chances are you'll get infected; regardless of whether one or both are wearing masks - and regardless of whether you were socially distanced.

If it were me (being someone who's 60 and overweight) there's no way I'd be risking my life by frequenting shops like that in the US - regardless of how compliant people were or the precautions they had in place. Ultimatly it's just an exercise in risk management; one can't be too careful but one can be not careful enough. Based on overall US stats currently one in every 107 people currently have an active form of the virus (as best we can tell from the stats; many of those recovering will no longer be contagious - but on the flip-side many will have the virus but not be counted in the stats) so as it stands it's 3,106,806 active cases out of a population of 331,648,064. Do you feel lucky today? Stay safe buddy.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Coasting -

I agree 100%. You just Gotta stay away from everybody except the people you know in your family that are not infected. Have your food delivered, use fast food and prescription drug windows when you can, and just stay away… There is no other way to be more sure than this.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

Jge64 wrote:Coasting -

I agree 100%. You just Gotta stay away from everybody except the people you know in your family that are not infected. Have your food delivered, use fast food and prescription drug windows when you can, and just stay away… There is no other way to be more sure than this.
Agreed. Just imagine what would happen if EVERYONE did this for a month. The R0 would fall to about 0 and the virus would be gone from the world in about a month. Will that ever happen? ... not a hope in heck. I can think of no finer testiment to the collective average stupidity of the world that what we're all witnessing now. For me it's reinforced the point that when stupid and idiotic people's lives and/or economic futures are literally on the line they continue to make stupid and idiotic decisions.

One of my favourite movies is Idiocracy; it started out as a B grade satire ... and over the years morphed into what looks like being an accurate future documentary - I kid you not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One of my favourite movies is Idiocracy; it started out as a B grade satire ... and over the years morphed into what looks like being an accurate future documentary - I kid you not.
It does cause one to wonder when we see what's going on these days . . .. :?

At least some of the critters in this world are trying to hold up their end. :D

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Bats can carry virus.. However when one is infected it instinctively distances itself from the rest of the colony.. True fact.