More Aggressive Tires

General Honda ADV150 chat, questions about the ADV150, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

omniphil
Year: 2021
Color: Black

More Aggressive Tires

Post by omniphil »

Just wondering if anyone has found any more aggressive tires vs the stock "adventure" tires....
This scooter is the most dirt worthy bike I have, it would be nice to get some sort of street knobby tires on it but I can't find much in the small tire size.

The non ABS in the rear seems like a downside to most, but that's pretty much what you want for dirt riding (Sort of what this scooter was intended for although I realize most wont see dirt)
The non adjustable Showa suspension is great right where it is as well. I'm 220lbs with gear and the suspension works great off road. (On road as well)
2021 ADV150
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: More Aggressive Tires

Post by Mel46 »

What??? The PCX is a great little scooter, but a dirt bike or "adventure" bike it is NOT.

Here are a few reasons why it is not meant for those types of "fun".
1. The travel of the suspension will never be enough.
2. The center of gravity is all wrong because of where the engine is located.
3. Knotty tires would be a problem because of the distance the tires are from the frame and other parts.
4. Honda has a version of the PCX that does everything you want the PCX to do as an adventure bike...it is called the ADV150.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Mel46 wrote:What??? The PCX is a great little scooter, but a dirt bike or "adventure" bike it is NOT.

Here are a few reasons why it is not meant for those types of "fun".
1. The travel of the suspension will never be enough.
2. The center of gravity is all wrong because where the engine is located.
3. Knotty tires would be a problem because of the distance the tires are from the frame and other parts.
4. Honda has a version of the PCX that does everything you want the PCX to do as an adventure bike...it is called the ADV150.
We have an ADV 150 sub forum now Mel.

I think you can find some knobby tires for the ADV but is the small 150 engine up for some real dirt road action? I'm Not so sure about that
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Wow, I didn't think there were enough ADV150s sold to warrant its own subforum! Are they really that plentiful? I haven't seen one in my area yet, but I would love to. They really look like they would be a great all around bike. I looked them up on the web just now though, and they only come in one color...black. I love my red PCX. Honda should offer the ADV150 in red as well, like they have done with the PCX.

To all of those who have one of those new ADV150s, congratulations on choosing a great little bike (I won't even call it a scooter because it seems to be much more than that....try to imagine a Vespa scooter as an adventure bike....nope, I just can't. )
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
omniphil
Color: Black

Post by omniphil »

I've already been riding my ADV150 on dirt trails, its certainly does fine. Just wish I had a little more aggressive tires. Not fully knobby tires, but a more 50/50 tire vs the 80/20 tires it comes with.

Just figured I would start a thread in case people find different tires and can share the info here.
2021 ADV150
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Hard to find on a size 13 wheel. The front looks possible, which also means you need to run on diff brand of tires for front and rear, if you can find them,
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
EricV
Color: Silver

Post by EricV »

The ADV150 doesn't use the same size tires and wheels as the PCX150. ADV150 sizes are:
Front - 110/80-14
Rear - 130/70-13

Tire pressures are 29F/33R from the owner's manual. (My wife and I both ride '21 ADV150s)

I also would love some more aggressive tires, more like motorcycle ADV style tires like a Mitas E07 or Heidenau K60 Scout. Deeper tread with open blocks.

I've pinged all the tire manufacturers about this and no one really stepped up. Mitas was responsive, but the closest they come is the Mud and Snow MC-32 and it's not available in the correct rear size, (yet??). I did try a Dura HF903 in 130/60-13 and while I loved the traction and it was fine, I lost 2 mph on the top end and speedo accuracy and it's not lasting as long as the OEM rear. I got about 4000-4200 from the OEM rear and have about 4k on the Dura now and it's just about shot. I broke down and ordered a new set of OEM tires from a Honda parts seller, which was cheap, about $280 for the pair.

The best looking tire I could find in the correct sizes with more aggressive tread was the Deli Swallow SB-117 in Indonesia,
SB-117-600x682.jpg
SB-117-600x682.jpg (63.21 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
but I can't find a way to get them.
I also would like to try the Heidenau K-66 which is available in the correct sizes in Europe, but no one sells or imports them in the US at this time. I ordered some from Racing Planet in Florida, but when they came in they customs fees were more than the tires! They didn't know why and hadn't had that happen before, so they canceled the order and no tires for me. :cry:
Honda ADV150 #371
Tupelo, MS
IBA #488
pa-outdoorsman

Post by pa-outdoorsman »

Interesting. I did a cursory search for more aggressive offroad tires for the ADV and didn't turn up much either. All the good accessories and aftermarket parts are available overseas. The Philippines is a virtual paradise for ADV customization, but how you get those items to yourself here in the States is the trick.

On a related note, as I doubt I'll be using my ADV off-road (I have a side-by-side for that stuff), I'll probably switch to a more pure on-road tire once the OEM set is worn out. Lots of folks on the Kymco scooter forum where I am a member swear by Michelin City Grips and say they offer a big on-pavement improvement in handling/grab compared to OEM tires.
2021 Honda ADV 150
Pennsylvania, USA