Excessive Wind Noise Help

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: White

Excessive Wind Noise Help

Post by Chris753 »

Hello everyone! I have a 2018 PCX150...When I got it a few months back, the previous owner had installed a National Cycles wind screen, citing lots of wind on his chest.

I have grown to be okay with it, it does provide tons of protection, but the WIND NOISE oh my!! It sounds like standing in a blizzard at 40MPH or above. (Like: Wsheeew wsheeeeewwew...etc)
It is deafening. I have started wearing earplugs, but they are kind of a pain as I cannot hear anyone talking to me at a stop / destination until I take them out.
I know it is not my helmet, I have a 50cc with no shield and at 40 it's a smooth wooosh sound.

Does anyone have any tips for this? Should I buy a stock shortie screen?
I have grown so used to this bigger screen, looking at the short stock ones they looks too small to me?

This is where my eye level is when I'm riding:

I am thinking it is one of these, but I am not sure the exact height model:

Side View:
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Excessive Wind Noise Help

Post by mymitzi »

No perfect solution......Thinking a shorter, windshield, if the ear plugs are too much of a hassle.
I've had the same problem and chose the ear plugs.........just ask people to speak a bit louder. :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Rather than trying to guess which windshield you need to get something you can adjust, buy a medium windshield and put on adj lip. Then you can adjust the flow depending on which way the winds coming and it goes over your helmet. It works perfect for me.

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/puig-wi ... lsrc=aw.ds
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

Thank you both!
I think for now I will live with the ear plugs, but keep my eyes peeled for a visor clip maybe for Christmas :)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Jge64 wrote:Rather than trying to guess which windshield you need to get something you can adjust, buy a medium windshield and put on adj lip. Then you can adjust the flow depending on which way the winds coming and it goes over your helmet. It works perfect for me.

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/puig-wi ... lsrc=aw.ds
I recommend one of the bigger visor clips.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If you still have the stock wind screen you could try reinstalling that to see how things work out for you . . ..

When I had my PCX I left it stock and was fine with it.

It will get noisy the closer you get to 60 MPH but then again riding in the wind is part of the experience.

I do find that riding with a helmet is a big plus when it comes to ride enjoyment although some may not agree with me.
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

Old Grinner wrote:If you still have the stock wind screen you could try reinstalling that to see how things work out for you . . ..

When I had my PCX I left it stock and was fine with it.

It will get noisy the closer you get to 60 MPH but then again riding in the wind is part of the experience.

I do find that riding with a helmet is a big plus when it comes to ride enjoyment although some may not agree with me.
Unfortunately the previous owner did not have it when I purchased it...I think it was around $50 so I may also look into getting a stock replacement just to try.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Unfortunately the previous owner did not have it when I purchased it...I think it was around $50 so I may also look into getting a stock replacement just to try.
Perhaps others can chime in as well who are still running stock wind screens? Always good to get a second opinion! :D

Mine was a 2017 . . ..
100_4777a.jpg
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Chris753 »

Old Grinner wrote:
Perhaps others can chime in as well who are still running stock wind screens? Always good to get a second opinion! :D

Mine was a 2017 . . ..
100_4777a.jpg
Very nice ride there!!

I think I will pickup a stock screen just to have with the bike.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ebay always has the adjustable clip on lips. Here is the link to just one of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233715221853

And more.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I am happy with my stock one. But I haven't tried taller ones. I don't feel like the wind is an issue.
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

I seldom exceed 70 KMH (45 MPH) so my stock windscreen is good enough for me
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

I purchased the extra tall windshield for my 2013 pcx and loved it. I did not get that wind noise, looked a little big but you get used it. other than that, it's a quality product. only thing maybe is that you get a little wind on the back of your neck at higher speeds
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I love my tall GIVI windshield because it is wider than the National one, but there is occasionally some wind noise when I am riding above 55 mph. I am pretty sure the an adjustable clip on lip would do the trick, if I felt that the noise was too much. I recommend the ones that have double connections so that the torque on the top of the windshield is balanced.

Ear plugs help as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Scooter_Fever
Year: 2016
Color: Steel grey

Post by Scooter_Fever »

I installed the short givi windshield on mine and it directed the wind straight into my eyes and past my ears. That lasted about 2 rides and I put the stock shield back on, much better.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I don't see why people fit a tall screen to a bike the only goes a little over 60mph. I find the standard screen to be fine. As for noise, use earplugs, or buy a quieter helmet.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It has to do with preferences. Some of us want a quiet, comfortable ride, even on a scooter. When we first bought our scooters we determined that they would be OK for around town, but if we wanted to ride the back roads we would need less wind on us. We tried the mid-height windshield but still had a lot of wind. The tall windshield seemed extreme but it worked great.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

scooterbro11
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by scooterbro11 »

i just installed a mid height givi and it really takes the wind off chest and hands, but it comes over the screen right at my mid helmet and makes a very loud noise inside helmet. i have since found that minimal sceen has low sound and huge screen has low sound. everything in between is louder. i am actually going to hack my new givi screen down about 3 inches so my hands still get protection and my helmet is in "clean" air which is much quieter.
robthrax
Color: Black

Post by robthrax »

riding@100mpg wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:03 pm I purchased the extra tall windshield for my 2013 pcx and loved it. I did not get that wind noise, looked a little big but you get used it. other than that, it's a quality product. only thing maybe is that you get a little wind on the back of your neck at higher speeds
So I just purchased a used 2013 and have been looking at windscreens - super windy at the beach (live in st. augustine) and I'm 6' 2"

I've been debating between the tall and extra tall - you said you loved it. Any pics you can share? I suspect it will look out of place, but i'm into function over form (mostly) ;-)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

robthrax wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:43 am
riding@100mpg wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:03 pm I purchased the extra tall windshield for my 2013 pcx and loved it. I did not get that wind noise, looked a little big but you get used it. other than that, it's a quality product. only thing maybe is that you get a little wind on the back of your neck at higher speeds
So I just purchased a used 2013 and have been looking at windscreens - super windy at the beach (live in st. augustine) and I'm 6' 2"

I've been debating between the tall and extra tall - you said you loved it. Any pics you can share? I suspect it will look out of place, but i'm into function over form (mostly) ;-)
I'm of a similar size and put on a larger screen mainly to make the bike look bigger. I didn't notice a great deal of difference eitherway but I'm not sensitive to buffeting or wind noise.

In general a well designed larger screen should mitigate some wind noise etc from motion. It wouldn't necessarily help with something like buffeting from coastal weather conditions. Sometimes it can make it worse as a too large screen can catch the wind like a sail.

First step is generally to start by wearing ear plugs as it mitigates the sound effect and therefore your perception of the overall effect of any wind impact on your riding.