2014 Forza NSS300 ..ABS light flashing

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

2014 Forza NSS300 ..ABS light flashing

Post by dergav »

Any advice or comment will be appreciated
Couple of weeks ago while out riding the ABS light started flashing on my 2014 Forza NSS300 . Searched for advice when back home and found somewhere advising ( may have been on here?...cannot remember) that if you turn the engine off and start it again the light may stop flashing indicating that there is not a serious issue. Did that and yes it stopped flashing...so all OK ?
Have had the Forza out a few times since and all is OK...no flashing.
Yesterday when out riding it started flashing again...so stopped bike turned engine off and restarted...no flashing and still no flashing after 70mls riding back home.
Do you think I have anything to be concerned about?...and any option ideas for what may be causing this?...the bike is now over 6yrs old and over 21,000 mls.no recent tyre or wheel change or disturbance ...regularly serviced.
thanks...
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: 2014 Forza NSS300 ..ABS light flashing

Post by Jge64 »

Maybe Check your tire pressure?....if the front is radically different than the rear-it can cause some abs systems to flash. My light went on recently and my front tire was low, 25 lbs-that was too far diff from the rear at 33....I’m supposed to run 29 in the front, filled it up, problem went away.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Pretty neat..........sort of a built-in tpms.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

thanks Jge for the suggestion
Will check this...but I had inflated both tyres just before going on the ride and it would have been 50/60 miles riding after that before flashing starts...but will check pressures....may have a small air leak?
I think it is in the bike handbook or the service manual where I read about just turning off the engine and restarting to stop the flashing...so that reads like its almost an expected happening?...also if when stationary and on main stand if you spin the rear wheel backwards apparently this can also cause the sympton...but I hadnt done that.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

The tire pressure has nothing to do with the ABS on the Forza.

I would check the ABS ring on the front and rear wheels. Make sure it is tight and make sure that there is no mud or crap in the holes.

Also check the ABS sensor at the wheels. Check the wire for cuts or kinks. Follow it as far as you can into the body.

One of the first thing ABS systems do is compare the rotation rates of the front and rear wheels. That is why it takes a bit for the ABS light to go out. They do this because tires wear down and people put oddball sizes on sometimes. It also handles differences in tire pressure.

Something is confusing your ABS computer. Probably a loose wire.

2014 Honda Forza 300 142,000 km 98,000 miles
Last edited by davenowherejones on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Once again not true. The rotational speed is different when the tires are low. I called yamaha on this directly at one point and that’s what they told me to check tire pressure. There you go again Dave…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Jge64 wrote:Once again not true. The rotational speed is different when the tires are low. I called yamaha on this directly at one point and that’s what they told me to check tire pressure. There you go again Dave…
Yes you are right about the rotational speeds being different. But not enough to matter unless you get a flat tire.

Why would you call Yamaha about a Honda?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

This was a Duplicate thread. I deleted. Sometimes this happens :roll: why? Dunno
~WN~
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Tire size and rotational speed vary every time you ride a motorcycle. Not much but a cold tire has a smaller diameter than the same tire at full temperature.

The ABS is smart enough to figure this out.

ABS is mainly to figure out if the front tire is locked up compared to the rear tire and visa versa.

I had fun going down a gravel road from 4000 foot to 1000 foot of elevation one day. The front tire would lock up on the very steep road. The rear was still turning so the ABS system would release the front brake automatically. Very un-nerving but it forced me to steer the motorcycle so that I did not go over the cliff. The tires had plenty of traction, just the rider was inadequate.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Check the wires from the sensors are secure and haven't been chafing.
Wheelspin can also cause this, you been doing powerslides...? :lol:
Have you fitted non-standard tyres or stuck with the oem sized ScootSmarts?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

thanks again for responses
No... not done any power slides !!..not even sure what they are !?
have always used the same tyres make as supplied with the bike
On page 20-8 in my copy of the full service manual it does say that incorrect tyre pressures can cause the blinking/flashing.
along with a load of other things ...including incorrect tyre "sizes".... and bumpy roads it says ! ( now some of the roads here in Scotland are nothing short of a disgrace so that could be the reason its only happened twice...and after some miles riding...and I did hit some bumpy patches at a reasonable speed.)
also if doing wheelies!!( not really my scene!) ..a wheelie on a Forza NSS300?!...and/or...control unit disrupted by an extremely powerful radio wave ( maybe when a Scotland Yard or FBI agent was chasing me around Scotland?)
Think I will just keep my eye on it as the "bumpy road" reason could well be the case?
thanks again
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have done thousands of miles on bumpy gravel roads and the ABS light has never come on.

I have done over a 100,000 km with the wrong size tires and the ABS light has never come on.

I have done 142,000 km with the wrong oil and it still runs OK.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Bumpy roads can upset loose wires.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300

Post by Austins »

Here is Dave the superman with his super bike again, not all of us mortals are the same....! lol

OP I remembered reading about this somewhere, here it is:

https://thetradingtravelers.com/honda-f ... identifier

Go to the very end and read the Update about the flashing ABS light. A bit vague but still might help...
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Austins wrote:Here is Dave the superman with his super bike again, not all of us mortals are the same....! lol

OP I remembered reading about this somewhere, here it is:

https://thetradingtravelers.com/honda-f ... identifier

Go to the very end and read the Update about the flashing ABS light. A bit vague but still might help...
I read the article and it was found out that a loose wire/connection was the problem.

Which is what I suggested you look for.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Austins...thanks for sourcing and posting that interesting article...and thanks all others also
Sounds very likely its all down to a loose wire/connection in the ABS system someplace as some suggest.Will take time over our winter months to examine as much as I can . thanks all.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi degav! Nice to have you pop in again. I Do notice these things ;) tires/wires Be safe, do check this matter out. Once resolved, please revisit this thread or start afresh.

Be well, Stay covid free - Everyone
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

davenowherejones wrote:
Jge64 wrote:Once again not true. The rotational speed is different when the tires are low. I called yamaha on this directly at one point and that’s what they told me to check tire pressure. There you go again Dave…
Yes you are right about the rotational speeds being different. But not enough to matter unless you get a flat tire.

Why would you call Yamaha about a Honda?
Dave, because he owns a Yamaha. You know that :P what's the diff if he calls honda or yamaha on this matter of tires 'n pressure 'n lites aglow? I'm gettin' it.

*Come on boyz, yer both just trying to help the Op. In the end we hope your input Helps/Guides Him. Tis all. Keep that in mind and all will be good.
We family. I Luvs ya all !! :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It ain't Luv, it is an addiction. Where is the AA meeting for motorcycles?
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

davenowherejones wrote:It ain't Luv, it is an addiction. Where is the AA meeting for motorcycles?
It's an itch that never goes away, it can be dormant for years but it will certainly itch again.....