Chinese Belt broke big time

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Chinese Belt broke big time

Post by davenowherejones »

Yesterday was 9/11 and I used to be very involved in aviation.

I decided to go to the Abbotsford Airport to see what was parked there. I was also going to YVR Vancouver Airport to check it out also.

I jumped on the scooter and hit the TransCanada Highway #1. It was very busy.

I pulled over into the passing lane of the crowded four lane highway to let slow dump trucks pull onto the highway. The highway was 4 lanes in 1968 when it was built and a lot of it is still four lanes. Actually a lot of it is still two lanes further east.

The Forza made a strange high pitch wine and then started slowing down. Some how I managed to pull over to the right lane and then the paved shoulder. I did not die???

I twisted the throttle, the engine made noise but I continued to slow down quickly.

The traffic was going about 130 kmph in a 100 zone when I did my big move at a very slow speed. I did not die???

I was just past an entry to the highway. I carefully turned the scooter around doing a 20 point turn. I pushed the scooter for about 150 meters to a disused on-ramp.

I played around with the engine but it was really obvious that the scooter would not move.

I phoned a neighbour who rescued me last time. I got his wife who was waiting for him to come out of Walmart. Walmart was not too far from me. She said Walmart on Vancouver Island at Nanaimo.

Nanaimo is 3.5 hours away if you catch the ferry exactly right or all day if you don't.

Plan B. I called my elderly neighbour Terry. I have been mowing her lawn for free for a few years with a few meals thrown in. She agreed right away to come and get me.

I described where I was but she did not understand so I told her to go to the Yellow Barn Country Market. She knew where that was and I was at the overpass.

She took 40 minutes as expected and found me.

Being Friday the traffic going out off Vancouver was really heavy. We decided that her elderly head would be more comfortable on the smaller Lougheed Highway on the north side of the Fraser River.

The traffic was slower but an old Land Rover pissed her off so she overtook it quickly. The next car was a $300,000 McLaren supercar going exactly the speed limit. Terry was comfortable behind the supercar for a long way.

She even noticed a young bear playing along the river. We go talking a bit and the journey became pleasant.

I eventually got home to get in my 2000 4x4 Dodge Dakota and find my landlords riding lawnmower trailer which I borrowed. I got back to my Forza and it was still there!!!

I backed the trailer into the old on-ramp. The trailer has a 7 foot long tilting bed. I tried to push the Forza up the bed. I could not do it.

I turned the trailer so that the front was downhill a bit. I still could not do it. I am a short 5 foot 6 older man (61) with many injuries.

I hooked one of my ratchet straps around a post at the front of the trailer. I pushed the Forza as far as I could and put the ratchet hook through the loop on the side stand.

I pulled the 500 pound Forza up the ramp with the ratchet a few inches at a time.

Not one single biker stopped to see if I needed help.

I got the Forza quite a way up the trailer and then put my whole weight on the front of it. Nothing moved. I pulled another 6 inches and then my whole weight was enough to get the trailer to tilt level.

The last 2 feet was easy being level.

I then had to tie the Forza down. I wrapped one strap around the top of the rear wheel. I put another around the top of the forks. I put a hook through the handlebar clamp and off to the side. Also one to the other side. I had a piece of plywood under the side stand. The deck of the trailer is a heavy mesh.

I took the side roads home. I tightened the straps a few time. Eventually I had to take the highway.

The trailer has almost no suspension and bumps would have both wheels off the ground. Very disturbing in the rear mirror.

Eventually I got home and put the Forza away.

I got the tools out this morning. I got the cover off and a whole bunch of rubber chunks fell out. The Chinese belt was totally destroyed after only 9300 km. It should be good for 25,600 km.

I found an old belt with 27,000 km on it in my shed. I ordered a Mitsuboshi belt from some guy in Spain. With COVID I have no idea how long it will take to get here. Probably not before it starts snowing here and the end of my season?

I spent 6 hours on a John Deere riding mower today after looking at the Forza. I should be able to get the belt on tomorrow morning and go get some groceries after I check my LOTTERY ticket.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Chinese Belt broke big time

Post by you you »

Could have been a lot worse and makes a good story.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

It's a warning to all other Forza 300 owners thinking of buying a cheap Chinese drive belt.
ghmpm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by ghmpm »

Glad you are ok. It is best to always use a OEM Honda belt, if possible.
Glenn

2012 Honda Silver Wing

2015 Honda Forza 300
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

Glad it all worked out for you, I tell you the story of belt breaking on me in Thailand, to see the difference...

I had an old rented Yamaha Mio 125cc scooter to run around and one night in a kind of small highway at around 80 or 90kph the belt snapped, the worst feeling is you keep turning the throttle and hear engine revving, but bike slowing down rapidly for a while before you notice and pull over....!

Any car coming fast behind you would not notice this slowing down as there is no brake light, so very dangerous...!!! I was lucky it was exactly midnight and very quiet, no cars..., after I pulled over I figured it's the belt fairly quickly, before I know it another scooter came along and stopped, the Thai guy offered to push me with one foot on hard shoulder until a safe area in a large supermarket parking lot. I called the rental owner guy, he turned up in 30min with his scooter (that's called service !), pushed me again with one foot to a nearby small hole in the wall garage, which amazingly was still open - we asked some passer by who told us about it..., and amazingly he had the exact size belt for this bike...!? I saw the broken belt it must have been never changed , for who knows, ever - this bike was like 6 it 7 years old...

After 15min I had the bike back and was told to pay US$10...! , all inclusive, and was at home 30min later..., life is somewhat easier around here... !

But best to buy a good belt and brake parts on scooters, not worth the saving....
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Two thoughts:
1) You should have died.
and B) Forza does not weigh 500 lbs, you're just old.
But a great story!
Long, but with one restroom break, and a cookie - I stuck with the whole enchilada.

Fish
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

My IPads and all my laptops are made in China, top notch quality.

My tires are the cheap stuff from Discount Tire. On one car is the Barum brand the other is GTRadial. I can't tell them apart in ride quality from the big names.

Dave just took a chance and got unlucky, I recently changed my Forza belt and bought a OEM one off ebay from someone in Thailand. Was it a knockoff OEM, maybe. I will never know it was packaged so well that only a Honda employee could tell.

I guess I could have payed up for one at the Honda dealer but dang I did not and I am keeping my fingers crossed I don't have a story to tell later on.
:geek:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I ride my Forza harder than most people and things break.

I am also not the best mechanic and things break.

I am dyslexic, hearing impaired, old (61), short and things break.

140,000 km and things break.

No wonder I am poor.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK, so where should I buy my next belt from?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

$100 Canadian seems a bit steep but not totally out of the question
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:
$100 Canadian seems a bit steep but not totally out of the question

Stuck without it.
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/v-bel ... 54424.html

About US$1 to deliver it to me in 3 days but to Canada it might be expensive... !
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I was not sure if I put my belt on ok so I took it apart to double check the clutch.

I was really tired because a train derailment had been wrecking my sleep. CP rail parked the engine 135 meters from my bedroom. And left the engine running. It is still running a week later.

60 potash cars fell of a bridge. They are afraid the rest will run away. So the air system is running 24/7.

I put my hi-power impact on the variator bolt. It did not come off. I hit it again. It came loose. Just the head. I had the impact running the wrong way. Not enough sleep.

I bought a bolt extractor kit. Eventually I got the bolt out. My Honda dealer gave me anew bolt.

There was a bit of belt jamming the clutch a little. Pulled it out and everything went back together.

I went for a test ride down to the wreck. They are still rebuilding the bridge. The trains are running.

Sitting in a new truck stop restaurant having breakfast at 4 pm. I am the only one here.