Unretired from retiring from motorcycles

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ARMDILLO
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Unretired from retiring from motorcycles

Post by ARMDILLO »

Hi Everyone,
Today, I picked up my 36th motorcycle at Neihaus Honda Shop in Litchfield, IL. A new to me Honda 2014 Forza with just 3600 miles. I sold my second 650 Burgman last Spring feeling that I was done with riding. Took about 16 months to change my mind and get me looking again. I started riding 40 years ago on a S-65 Honda in the backyard, from there I have gone thru multiple Hondas- singles, twins, fours and even a couple of Gold Wings, a Valkyrie and a CBX. Yamaha 80s, 90s and a XS650. Add to the mix Triump, Enfields, Wankels, Ducati, Triples, and others. Never had a Harley or a Vespa.

I was a charter member of the Honda Riders club, 2 Saddle Sores from the Iron Butt group and several other local chapters of national bike groups. I retired from my job earlier this year.

The Forza was a choice to move down in size from the 650Burgie, rode the PCX - too small, likewise for the new ADV. I rode the Forza a bit this evening, enjoyed the ride again. Wind in your face, smile ear to ear. Lots of go for the 300cc bike. Can't wait for the morning. I look forward to many more miles.

I have enjoyed reading your posts about this bike, hints, advice and ideas to improve our bikes. Thanks.
mike "Armdillo"
West Central Indiana USA
Armdillo
Longtime motorcyclist
Retired
IBA # 23063
U.S. Navy Veteran
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: Unretired from retiring from motorcycles

Post by big bear »

great the forza is only 400 pounds so easier to handle i have an x max pretty much the same thing just yamahas version of the same bike
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

36th? Wow!!!

Well you've certainly got me beat!

Riding can indeed be addictive. I find as I get older that it's good for physical fitness also.

With what you'll be saving on gas money these days you'll be able to afford more donuts and coffee your longer excursions. :D
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

You got me beat too. One 1971 CB350 and one 2013 PCX.
Not that I didn't lust for the odd Triump,BMW, Ducati or even CB450 double overhead cam scrambler in those 42 years.
Trucks took up most of my time- driving and maintaining-trying to make a buck.
Instead of 18 gears,diesel and big heavy tires and parts, my PCX is a joy.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

What made you give up on the 650 Burgman? I'm asking because in addition to my PCX150, which I love for running around town, I have a 2016 Goldwing. But at approaching 78, I'm seriously thinking of downsizing to something lighter (I had a recent incident of while putting the Wing on the center stand I slipped, and had failed to put the side stand down in advance, so the bike fell on me. No injuries, no damage to the bike, but I was trapped under the 920 lb Goldwing until my wife heard my calls for help and came out to assist me). The Burgman 650 was high on my consideration list as something lighter but with many of the amenities of the Goldwing. I want something that can keep up with Interstate highway traffic when needed, and I didn't think a Forza or X-Max could handle that. Right now a Triumph Street Twin, or the Speed Twin is high on my list, but I am curious as to what made you give up the Burgman.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
ARMDILLO

Post by ARMDILLO »

I decided to get out of riding because I was having some health issues. Got those taken care of for the most part and needed another bike. I had not heard of a Forza nor seen one. The size is right, the top end and weight are not. It is too light for highway riding, would get blown away from big trucks and winds due the the smaller size and weight. The Burgman 650 has lots more weight which is part of the reason i wanted something smaller. The seat is much better and easier to modify the cushion, there is more storage under it too. A weekend trip worth of clothes and other stuff can be put under the seat - add a givi trunk and you got more room than a Truck. haha. The aerodynamics add to a smoother ride.
You do not have to fight the darn seat to stay up or use a stick to hold it up either. Accessories are easier to find. and there are better forums to find help with.

This forum helps, but the limited Forza sales in the USA hurt it. in the USA a superhighway is just that. 100 miles of 80+ is doable on the Burgman, not on the 300cc Forza. I can get my Forza on a 2 lane road up to 65 and it gets jumpy. Not so with a 650 Burgman. Solid ride.
I would like to try a Burg 400 in the spring and would jump on it if it fits better.
I have had two burgman 650s - one with a trike kit, i have had two wings and a Valkyrie. Can't beat them on the road. Arround town, they are like a car without power steering. Too much weight and work. The burgman hits the spot for in town and highway.

Meanwhile my Forza is ready to ride, covered and on the battery tender for the winter or a nice sunny 40 degree day for now. Spring will see if another bike is in the future. I am 65 by the way. Safe travels, and be safe. BTW, i rode a pcx to try it out, too small.
Armdillo
Longtime motorcyclist
Retired
IBA # 23063
U.S. Navy Veteran
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

vito wrote:....... I want something that can keep up with Interstate highway traffic when needed, and I didn't think a Forza or X-Max could handle that.
I don't know what the speed limit is on Interstate highway's in the US, but the Forza 300 can easily keep up with Dutch highway traffic at 100 km/h [60 m/h] and still has some reserves to overtake up to 130 km/h [80 m/h].
For me cruising at 110 km/h [68 - 70 m/h] on the highway is a nice speed with a very reasonable fuel consumption.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

OK, just curious, just what is the official USA Interstate speed limit. I see 65 to 75 posted.

Is it like around here in Vancouver, BC, Canada that people can't read. Our signs say 100 (km) Maximum but people treated it like the signs say 100 Minimum.

I scare people doing 100 km in my lime green jacket and strange motorcycle, 2014 Honda Forza 300 with a 65 liter Givi top case. I am not a cop nor do I want to pretend I am. Stay away from me and they do.
ARMDILLO

Post by ARMDILLO »

speed limit here in Indiana is 70mph for the most part, i believe it is 80 in parts of Missouri. Parts of the western USA there is not posted speed limit.

my experience in EU, the highways are very nice. 80 -100 kph would get you run down here.
i keep mine at 70-75 mph on the highway. I feel the Forza is working hard at 60-65. Burgman650 is just right at 70 in overdrive. It has an automatic, manual shift, power, overdrive transmission. did not use manual much at all but overdrive on highway is great. Thanks for sharing. have a Merry Christmas and be safe.
Armdillo
Longtime motorcyclist
Retired
IBA # 23063
U.S. Navy Veteran
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

ARMDILLO wrote:I feel the Forza is working hard at 60-65.
Mine would sit happily at 70-75 no bother at all.
You'll get used to it in time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

Most of the Interstate system has a 70 mph (113 kph) but some highways are posted at 80 mph or even 85 mph. I do not know of any road with higher than 85 mph speed limit, other than the few roads without a limit at all. Around here in Illinois, with a posted 70 mph limit, traffic moves at 80 to 85 mph. I have been on Interstate 90 coming west from Chicago and have been passed by numerous cars while I was traveling at 85 mph. I don't think a 300cc scooter could handle that, but you could likely safely ride on those roads by sticking to the right lane.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Here in the Netherlands we have a speed limit on the highway's of 100 km/h [60 m/h] from 6.00 to 19.00 h and between 19.00 and 6.00 h this is due to environmental issue's
between 19.00 and 6.00 h the "normal" highway speed is allowed that can vary from 110, 120 and 130 km/h [68, 75 and 80 m/h].
mikeoc
Year: 2020 Forza 300

Post by mikeoc »

gn2 wrote:
ARMDILLO wrote:I feel the Forza is working hard at 60-65.
Mine would sit happily at 70-75 no bother at all.
You'll get used to it in time.
Agreed, the Forza should be able to easily maintain motorway speeds, I spend a lot of time on the motorway (in the UK) with no bother, and took me about a month adjust to adjust to the lighter weight at speed, and not feel like I was riding a toy bike. Not so good in windy weather, agreed.

@Davenowherejones I'd love to see a pic of you in your lime green jacket on your bike :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You can push the forza to 70 mph, but its screaming.. 60 mph is a relaxing smooth ride.. After 65 it gets a little jumpy and in a wind moreso.I would recommend a heavier bike for US interstates where large trucks are normally doing 80 mph.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As with everything else, there are bikes for every type of riding. What they don't make is replacement bodies for every type of riding. As you get older you start to realize that your body can only take so much.

I have no idea how any older adults can hold up a Goldwing once their knees start to give, and their back muscles are not as strong as they use to be.

I knew a few riders who were still riding their Goldwings at 75 years old, but they did mention how easy it was for it to tip over if they forgot to put down the kick stand. I had that problem with my Harley, and I was young at the time!

Back on subject, I loved my Burgman 400 because it was a good all around bike for in town and on the freeways. The Burgman 650 was ideal for long hauls, and it weighed less than a Goldwing...but keep in mind that the Goldwing does everything but pour your coffee, so you pay for the conveniences in added weight.

In the end, you can find a bike that will do whatever you want it to do. You just have to remain aware of your growing list of worn out body parts. :roll:

I speak from experience. I am now 74 with a bad back (12 surgeries and counting). Still, I love to ride, so now I have to be content with my wonderful little PCX150. It does a lot of what my previous bikes could do, but on a much smaller scale. For going to the store, and riding the back roads, it is great. We took it on a 5 state ride and it was fun but tiring. Frequent stops were required because of the small gas tank, but otherwise it was still fun to ride.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote: US interstates where large trucks are normally doing 80 mph.
If the trucks are going that speed you need something capable of sitting at 90mph.
There isn't a 300 scooter been built which can do that.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
mikeoc
Year: 2020 Forza 300

Post by mikeoc »

Were the earlier Forza 300s that much less powered than the current models? I have a 2020 model, which I thought has pretty much the same engine as the earlier ones but with a few tweaks to improve performance and efficiency, but I am still surprised to hear that the earlier ones struggled to get to or maintain a motorway speed @ 70mph (obviously with some dependence on weather/incline etc).
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Some great points are being brought up on this thread . . .. :geek:

I have taken my XMax 300 on highways with 65 MPH speed limits and it would handle it with power to spare. I am extremely happy to have it and would "buy again". The problem is that the vehicular traffic is moving along closer to the 80 MPH range (plus or minus) and the competition for space is more intense now than it was when I first started riding motorcycles back in the early '70s. The net effect is that you can get pushed along to keep up with the flow like you are being swept up in a stampeding buffalo herd and you don't always have the visibility far enough ahead or the distance between you and the following vehicles, that you would prefer, when it comes to making quick decisions to avoid road debris, dogs/deer/etc. . . .., or road surface irregularities. Plus where road medians were once natural spaces of green grass and flora they are now concrete Jersey barriers. Which means you are up shitzzz creek in the event you need an escape route in that direction.

So the net result is I pretty much avoid riding on the highways (65 MPH Speed Limits) unless I have to use a bridge.

I also avoid riding through cities like the plague. Cities put the "stop" in "go" and I'd rather just "go". ;)

I envy those who live out in the wide open spaces where traffic is minimal and the miles create the smiles. :D

About the weight factor with motorcycles . . . I'm trying to sort out what I'm going to do with my Bandit 1200. It's about 500 lbs. and goes much faster than I need to. I'm glad I had it and totally enjoyed every ride with it. But now as I get older I do prefer the lighter weight machines for convenience and ease of ownership. I know I'll never have a Wing or big Harley at this stage of the game so my focus is on replacing the Bandit with another scooter or motorcycle in the 300 to 400cc range. I've heard the Bandits are quite popular in the U.K. but in the U.S. they sold but IMHO were never appreciated for their versatility. The Bandit 1200's are more about torque than high speed.

I digress . . .. Basically I don't want to move around a heavy motorcycle anymore. For that matter I don't want to have to pick one up either if I dump it . . . proper technique included. :roll:

They say the happiness is in the "wanting" so I'm enjoying sorting out the possibilities and continue to ride at least once a day when conditions permit. I do ride all year long but I don't argue with the ice and snow. God put the ice and snow there and God will eventually take it away. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
If the trucks are going that speed you need something capable of sitting at 90mph.

The thought of a 80mph HGV is the stuff of nightmares.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:

The thought of a 80mph HGV is the stuff of nightmares.
A lot of the 30 wheel trucks around here are driven by new immigrants from India & Pakistan who have never driven a really big truck in the snow. They use it as a method of bypassing immigration. They were shop keepers back home.