Tire recommendation?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Tire recommendation?

Post by op3l »

Hello all

I recently got a set of City Grips for my PCX and while they are alright, I've had a few incidences of it starting to slide on the zebra crossing lines. I've never noticed it to the extent it is doing now on the stock iRCs but probably due to the tread pattern on these City Grips, they are more noticeable now.

So I'm stuck in a dilemma sort of... I don't ride fast in the rain which kind of negates the purpose of these City Grips and in the dry these tires don't give me much confidence. I don't want to go back to the stock iRCs either.

So are there other tire choices for the PCX that's more "sport" oriented?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Tire recommendation?

Post by alx123 »

How long have you been using them? Some tires need at least 100 kms to be properly broken in.
Also, any tires will probably lose traction in a wet painted surface (i.e zebra crossing lines).
There might be a possibility that you bought fake Citygrips? Say they're also bad in dry pavement?

Pirelli Diablos are also another good option, though theyr'e little more pricier than the Citygrips.

I'm happy with the Pilotstreet 2 I'm using.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

alx123 wrote:How long have you been using them? Some tires need at least 100 kms to be properly broken in.
I've ridden on these for over 500km now.
alx123 wrote:Also, any tires will probably lose traction in a wet painted surface (i.e zebra crossing lines).
Yea I realize that, but this is slipping in the dry as well. Fairly noticeably too.
alx123 wrote:There might be a possibility that you bought fake Citygrips? Say they're also bad in dry pavement?
Yes, this has also crossed my mind because these were shipped to me without the Michelin Blue wrapping... I don't know anyway to tell whether they're fake or not so. In the dry on asphalt, they do seem OK but still it doesn't inspire confidence.
alx123 wrote:Pirelli Diablos are also another good option, though theyr'e little more pricier than the Citygrips.
I checked these out and they make one for the front but I don't see the 120 width option for the rears. Maybe they're just not available locally here(Vietnam)
alx123 wrote:I'm happy with the Pilotstreet 2 I'm using.

I'll look in to these.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am surprised that you have a problem with REAL City Grips. I have used nothing but MCGs. I traded out my IRCs shortly after purchasing my bike, and I had MCGs on my Burgman before that. Road grip has always been excellent with them, especially on wet roads.
Maybe they are fakes, as alx123 mentioned.

As alx123 mentioned, no tire has traction on painted surfaces, such as the zebra crossing lines. Perhaps the roads department knows that and would prefer that you slow down anyway.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Im running City Grip and love them. Of course part of it is bc I went with the bigger size tires. Highly recommend running the 120 front and 140 rear.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

Conelite wrote:Im running City Grip and love them. Of course part of it is bc I went with the bigger size tires. Highly recommend running the 120 front and 140 rear.
Do these sizes fit without modification on the 2019 PCX? I did notice the City Grips seems to be narrower compared to the iRCs even at the same size.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

Mel46 wrote:I am surprised that you have a problem with REAL City Grips. I have used nothing but MCGs. I traded out my IRCs shortly after purchasing my bike, and I had MCGs on my Burgman before that. Road grip has always been excellent with them, especially on wet roads.
Maybe they are fakes, as alx123 mentioned.

As alx123 mentioned, no tire has traction on painted surfaces, such as the zebra crossing lines. Perhaps the roads department knows that and would prefer that you slow down anyway.
Like i've said in the reply to alx123, I have no way of telling whether they're fakes or not. I did find online a company named Camal that produces knock off tires with tread patterns from both MCG and Pirelli Diablo Rosso. I discovers this yesterday and it saps even more confidence away from my current tires.

I do slow down for intersections, i'm talking about accelerating out on a right or left turn. On the previous iRCs I would notice a bit of sliding which is to be expected on zebra crossings. But like i've said, on the MCGs the sliding is more pronounced.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

op3l wrote:
Conelite wrote:Im running City Grip and love them. Of course part of it is bc I went with the bigger size tires. Highly recommend running the 120 front and 140 rear.
Do these sizes fit without modification on the 2019 PCX? I did notice the City Grips seems to be narrower compared to the iRCs even at the same size.
I was able to fit them on my 2017 without any issues. As for being more Narrow, I dont know. The sizes I said Above are much bigger than stock. Almost twice ad wide. So much smoother than the dinky stock tires.
20190622_165637.jpg
20190622_165637.jpg (168.89 KiB) Viewed 5393 times
20190622_165628.jpg
20190622_165628.jpg (251.34 KiB) Viewed 5393 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

op3l wrote: So are there other tire choices for the PCX that's more "sport" oriented?
Started out with the stock IRCs, swapped them for Michelin City Grips (rode it like that for around 10k kms) - until I had some lateral shifting while driving on a straight road in colder conditions while it was raining, sidewinds and some leafs on the road.

Switched to Heidenau K66 and I am very pleased with it, the tires seems to last longer as well. So at this point I'm also 10k kms on with these tires and the rear is no where near as worn as the City grips (rear tire especially). Only downside compared to the City Grip is I can remember when I switched to the K66 it seemed as if the PCX wanted to go in a straight line all the time; you need to push the bike into corners more somehow. But you get used to that I guess. So for me, if the tires wear out this time: I'm going again for the K66, holds up fine in every condition 365 days a year (warning/disclaimer: do not ride during the additional day in a leap year :lol: ).
comecamino
Year: 2011

Post by comecamino »

Guys anyone knows how the citygrips behave in cold winter and maybe a little snow?

Now im using this ones

https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products ... et-scooter

and yes, they are fantastic in summer, but... you know,... that groove design dont inspire much confidence xD
Chris753
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by Chris753 »

I ended up going with Pirelli angel scooter tires as that is what the bike had on it when I got it. Rear tire took a nail, the cost of a repair kit was equal to the cost of a tire at the time being on sale.

Can't say anything particularly bad, they did take at least 200+ miles to break in and soften up.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

So... my rear City Grip got a huge slash across it and wasn't patchable. So I got a pair of Pirelli Angel Scooter tires 100/80/14 front and 120/70/14 back. I've ridden so far about 100 KM on them and wow... the feeling is way better the the City Grips I had.

Going across zebra stripes, no more sliding across it at moderate lean angles in the dry. They also ride more plush than the City Grips as my wife attested. The funny thing is I have these at 35 psi front and rear and they still ride more plush than the City Grips did at 28 front and 30 rear.

From my personal experience now... I highly recommend the Angel Scooter over the City Grip.
Wazzycabbage
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl white

Post by Wazzycabbage »

op3l wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:21 am So... my rear City Grip got a huge slash across it and wasn't patchable. So I got a pair of Pirelli Angel Scooter tires 100/80/14 front and 120/70/14 back. I've ridden so far about 100 KM on them and wow... the feeling is way better the the City Grips I had.

Going across zebra stripes, no more sliding across it at moderate lean angles in the dry. They also ride more plush than the City Grips as my wife attested. The funny thing is I have these at 35 psi front and rear and they still ride more plush than the City Grips did at 28 front and 30 rear.

From my personal experience now... I highly recommend the Angel Scooter over the City Grip.
28 at front and 30 rear ... wowsers ,not surprised they slid !! I have mine 35 at front and 41 at back ,which is close to what is stamped on tire wall !! The less pressure used the more slide you will feel !!!
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

Wazzycabbage wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:57 pm ,which is close to what is stamped on tire wall !! The less pressure used the more slide you will feel !!!
Always go off of the recommended PSI that's on the vehicle, not the tire. That PSI is determined by the OEM depending on weight distribution of the vehicle.

Same rule applies to cars. Never go off of the Tire PSI spec.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Wazzycabbage
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl white

Post by Wazzycabbage »

Looking at that yes , as other components may need the damping effect at set psi , never looked at that, yet going by the tyre wall, the tires are not as bad as people claim !
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Checked the front tyre again today (newly fitted about 1-2 months ago) and it had lost a fair bit again - down from 33 to 25. Filled it up - not sure why some people do not seem to lose much and my front always seems to lose several psi every few weeks.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

iceman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 am Checked the front tyre again today (newly fitted about 1-2 months ago) and it had lost a fair bit again - down from 33 to 25. Filled it up - not sure why some people do not seem to lose much and my front always seems to lose several psi every few weeks.
Yep, same issue here. My rear seems to hold air fine but my front always requires a pump up every 2 weeks or so. Not sure if it's leaking from bead or from the valve stem. I've just gotten used to filling it up every 2 weeks lol.

Also in regard to the PSI, I don't go off PSI on the sidewall.. that's the max PSI you can safely put in before it just turns into a bomb. I adjust the PSI based on what I use it for and I always air it down a bit so it rides a bit softer at the cost of less tread life. It's not super duper low like in the low 20s, just a few PSI lower than recommended by Honda.
SantinoInc
Color: Gray

Post by SantinoInc »

Conelite wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:42 am
op3l wrote:
I was able to fit them on my 2017 without any issues. As for being more Narrow, I dont know. The sizes I said Above are much bigger than stock. Almost twice ad wide. So much smoother than the dinky stock tires.

20190622_165637.jpg
20190622_165628.jpg
Those tires look awesome! Do you have any idea if they'd fit a 2019 PCX? I'm really shocked that you didn't have to make any modifications to get those to fit? They look so much larger than the stock tires! Besides them looking badass what is the functional difference between those and the stock IRC tires?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

SantinoInc wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 am

Those tires look awesome! Do you have any idea if they'd fit a 2019 PCX? I'm really shocked that you didn't have to make any modifications to get those to fit? They look so much larger than the stock tires! Besides them looking badass what is the functional difference between those and the stock IRC tires?
Im 99.99% sure if they fit my 2017, they will fit a 2019.

The best thing about running bigger tires is stability. It gives you a larger footprint so it feels less sketchy at speed and it does not follow the road lines as easy. I highly recommend anyone with a PCX is to run larger tires than stock.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
SantinoInc
Color: Gray

Post by SantinoInc »

Conelite wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:07 pm
SantinoInc wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 am

Im 99.99% sure if they fit my 2017, they will fit a 2019.

The best thing about running bigger tires is stability. It gives you a larger footprint so it feels less sketchy at speed and it does not follow the road lines as easy. I highly recommend anyone with a PCX is to run larger tires than stock.
Would you mind providing the exact sizes again and tell me where you purchased them from? You literally didn't even have to move the tire splash guards? Literally no alterations at all? I just got my bike but I'm very tempted to give these a shot!