Sturgis?? Really??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Re: Sturgis?? Really??

Post by relic »

Some cynics will claim the man with the gold rules, kind of a pit if one goes down that road.
Any perceived discretion's take a deep breath and move on.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

you you wrote: Not being facetious Mel but what is the “Golden Rule”?
Per Wiki:
Treat others as you would like others to treat you. or
Do not treat others in ways that you would not like to be treated. or
What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Limey wrote:
you you wrote: Not being facetious Mel but what is the “Golden Rule”?
Per Wiki:
Treat others as you would like others to treat you. or
Do not treat others in ways that you would not like to be treated. or
What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself.

Ah..essentially Mathew 7:12. Makes sense.

Very highbrow for here. :lol: :lol:
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Disclaimer: as a COPD and asthma sufferer I am at risk for any respiratory affliction, and take precautions as necessary.

That said, the numbers for COVID-19 just don't add up. We've seen a spike in cases (mostly because of testing), but no spike in the mortality rate. We've also seen mismanagement and estimates that up to 25% of counted COVID-19 deaths were mis-attributed. Dr. Birx is on record with this estimate so it's not just crazy talk from a looney.

No one wants anyone to get sick, and no one wants anyone to die; however, if protests and riots over the last three months haven't significantly bumped the number of cases and deaths, it seems unlikely that Sturgis is going to make much difference.

Fear is insidious. Even with my own struggles, I refuse to live in fear. I'll take precautions, but I don't see how I have a right to dictate the behavior of others especially when this may be one of those situations where the "experts" are wrong. It's a few months old, but NPR covered it way back when it was still ok to question the narrative. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... njO-sva1rc

Not trying to start an argument...I'm surprised this thread is even allowed with the ban on political converse (and this skirts the edge of that), but even being a person at increased risk, I still don't wish to limit the rights of others, and I won't judge the folks who end up at Sturgis.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The more salient issue is that the virus has many unknowns.. The mortality rate really is inconsequential because science has yet to determine the total devastation this disease is capable of. The disease may be present and be asymptomatic and a person could carry it for years and have no symptoms.. similar to other latent viruses IE shingles, Hepatitis . The virus could live inside a person and quietly mutate and then later affect a person. I think the object of the mask wearing is to minimize this spreading effect until science can get a definitive handle on it ,produce an effective and safe vaccine, or a method to eradicate the bug. The common cold has yet been eradicated and mutates every year. I hate wearing a mask , but if I am a carrier i would hate to spread it to someone who is less capable of tolerating it and hence gets terribly sick. Just too many unknowns at this point so the best default position is to minimize its spread and masks may help that.Large gatherings only could help spread this unknown disease and should be minimized as a deterrent.Once we get a handle on it then let it rip.. party hardy !!
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

But, it's so pretty.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (156.59 KiB) Viewed 871 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

honkerman/Paul, and to the rest of me loverly hooligans,
As per forum rules:
I have been following this thread along and yes I did consider locking it. So far it's not been crazy like I know "we" can be.
Topic: Our worldly pandemic. And what a pandemic it is! A frickin' nightmare! I'm sure all of us have something to say.
So, for this one time "I've" decided to Let this thread Ride Out.

My God we've been so pent up and in so many ways, that Something's gotta give. We gotta vent a wee bit.
Say,...We can talk civil to one another can't we without crossing the line(s). We can express our opinions like adults (that ride scooters :D) to get our points across. Alright then...

...listen: no cussin' name calling, no spitting, no hissing, no hollering, no ganging up, no tatteling, no fibbing and all the rest of those things yer mama taught ya! Stay inside the lines.

I know about orange man and the other similar one across the pond (booo)<-- see what I did there? :lol: I just "stepped" on the line. That works. Anywho,

Let's Ride - but let's keep yer speed @ 40 then have yer say. Any faster and you may cross over. Uh ohhhh

Gosh I Love this Forum, and Ya'll
so Mask up & Stay Healthy Please
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Btw NADman, that is one Fugly Looking specimen - Ain't it? Damn! Be Forever Gone!! :x
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

But, it's so pretty.
To me it looks like a moldy blueberry with chunks of hamburger placed in a pattern (socially distanced) across the surface. Sesame seeds added for flavor . . .. Yum! o_O

From what I heard the thing will walk across a human cell and find a place to connect and nestle in to drill down like an oil rig and infuse the healthy cell with it's evil mix. Like everything else in Nature it wants to multiply and take up real estate in it's domain. Truly ugly. :roll:

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Interesting factoid: USA is 4% of the world's population but has 25% of the world's coronavirus cases.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Covid-19 should not be treated as a political issue. It is a public health issue. It has to do with staying healthy...and keeping out friends and family safe.

Whatever our opinions about crowds and wearing masks, the truth is that science does not know enough about this virus for us to ignore it. There are many of us who fit in the "old timers" category, which also puts us in the susceptible category. (I believe I read somewhere that Baby Boomers make up a majority in the population.)

I don't ever recall reading a slogan that said, "The best defense is no defense".

It seems to me that caution should be taken when approaching an unknown.

250,000 people from unknown regions, in unknown health, arriving by way of transportation that can help in the spread of a virus, does not seem to me to be a cautious move.

I really don't care what their political views are. It just has to do with common sense. When I was a kid the Polio Virus was the big worry. Until the vaccine was developed our parents were asked to not let us swim in the rivers and creeks as a precaution. The optimal word here is caution.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It shouldn’t be treated as a political issue here but there is no doubt it is, and will be for some time, political.

People really need to find ways to be more educated about this.

It’s a minors SARS variant. It isn’t polio. It isn’t flu. It isn’t going to affect most people in itself. But what has been put in place, rightly or wrongly, will.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

How do you know what it is and what it can ultimately do.I need one of those crystal balls.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:How do you know what it is and what it can ultimately do.I need one of those crystal balls.

It might be more useful to do some basic research rather than considering a crystal ball.

Start with viruses and look at what they are and what they can and can’t do. Interesting stuff. Have a go and let us know what you think?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Science tells us that this particular virus has lots of unknowns.Many issues not yet defined.Could cause heart valve defects yet undetected gor years.Once they get a good handle on it then party hardy..A little more time and research should give us more insights.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

"It’s a minor SARS variant. It isn’t polio. It isn’t flu. It isn’t going to affect most people in itself. But what has been put in place, rightly or wrongly, will."

Both Polio and Covid-19 are caused by viruses.

Both can be passed from person to person.

The below are copied straight from web definitions:

Polio, or poliomyelitis, is a disabling and life-threatening disease caused by the poliovirus. The virus spreads from person to person and can infect a person's spinal cord, causing paralysis.

The coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is caused by a virus, NOT by bacteria.
The virus that causes COVID-19 is in a family of viruses called Coronaviridae. Antibiotics do not work against viruses. Some people who become ill with COVID-19 can also develop a bacterial infection as a complication. In this case, antibiotics may be recommended by a health care provider.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Just incredible...
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Polio, or poliomyelitis, is a disabling and life-threatening disease caused by the poliovirus. The virus spreads from person to person and can infect a person's spinal cord, causing paralysis.
I remember as a kid in the early 60's standing in line at the local school, with my Mother, waiting to get my "polio vaccine" in a sugar cube served to me.

Polio was a real bummer back then. When the vaccine became available and was widely administered the disease just seemed to fade into history and nobody really thinks about it anymore.

Now with COVID-19 on the rampage the world is again taken aback by the possibility of untimely death. :o o_O :?

We all hope for an effective vaccine.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. Keep calm and dig. Keep calm and brew tea. Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile . . .. ;)

The folks from 1918 would remember this.