Motorcycle Helmets

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Motorcycle Helmets

Post by iceman »

According to Sharps, there are quite a few helmets less than £100 that get 4 or 5 stars and many costing £100's that don't. Style, features may be better in the more expensive brands/versions, but cheaper does not mean it sacrifices protection.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

iceman wrote:According to Sharps, there are quite a few helmets less than £100 that get 4 or 5 stars and many costing £100's that don't. Style, features may be better in the more expensive brands/versions, but cheaper does not mean it sacrifices protection.
+1

I love my HJC IS-16 Full Face Helmet. It can be had on sale for just over $100 and has a lot of features of more expensive helmets (very comfortable, good ventilation, flip-down inner sun shield, removable/washable liners, no tool required quick release face shield, etc.). When I need a new helmet, I'll be shopping for one of these.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

A Plus here as well iceman. :) HJC is a fine lid, no argument. Had one/two. Now using been using a Shoei FF Qwest, mid priced (caught on sale) and I'm really liking it. I'm big on reviews too. My main source of info is here http:www.webbikeworld.com
Gear gets costly, add it all up (better yet, don't o_O ) Be patient, check websites often for sales, spend wisely...get what you want. BETTER: go to local bike store try on what you've investigated and are interested in. Put it on, wear it in the store for awhile (longer the better). Ask you: How does it feel? Try turning your head inside, loose? Too tight? How does the shield work? Smoothly? How many positions? Pinlock included/ready? How's the visibility? Do you see a lot around you just by looking straight ahead? Will the shield be easy to change? How many vents? Enough? Easy access? Open close ok? Can you remove and clean the inside padding? Have ear pockets? Do you like the chinstrap? How old is the helmet (look closely inside, you'll find it), what comes in the box?
Also think about color. To some it's important (it should be in my book) it's all personal. Lots of choices, choose wisely, protect thy noggin...we cannot buy another (and very costly to fix given the chance).

All said above because a first time buyer usually doesn't know what they're looking for. I didn't first time round. I bought a 3/4 HJC with bubble screen just for the cycle course I took. After passing, I sold it. Perfect for the purpose. I could hear the instructor better and cool off in between ride lessons. I even left the shield up most of the time because we rode at snails pace. Oh yeah and in 100 degree heat! That mattered. Today riding at higher speeds on Real roads I sport a FF lid full time. Just me folks.
Take care out there....ride your Ride, and "HAVE FUN!!!" :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Revzilla folks just uploaded their 2014 Motorcycle Helmet Buying Guide (on 2.22.14)
Anyone interested in watching, here it tis: (Tune your ears up! "F a s t" rapper Anthony at your service :lol: )
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E_c-kUNLumg
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I'm pretty much sold on getting a flip up modular for my next helmet. I just like the ability to open them up to get some air, have a drink, read a map, take a picture etc without having to take off my helmet everytime.

I've got it narrowed down to four helmets. The Shoei Neotec, the Nolan N-104, the HJC SYMAX 3 and the Bell Revolver.

I haven't been able to try them on in person. Its amazing how few physical motorcycle stores there are in my area(and I live in a very meteroplitan area!). I have a 23 1/4" circumference noggin that is a long oval(longer front to back than side to side.)

Anyone have such a shaped head and tried any of these helmets? :-)
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

Yeah I bought this cheap bilt helmet. It sucks. So freaking loud when driving
ImageImage
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Modulars are going to worse with noise than regular full face. And heavier. They have more seams and parts.
Ear plugs make a good improvement when using modular.
Revzilla has a lot of informative videos to let you know the sizes vs mfg sizes and also how they fit.
Still, nothing like wearing it around the store for an hour and finding the real pressure points and feel.
Reviews and opinions help, but until you put it on your own head, it's just trial & error.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Some flip helmets do not weigh much - such as the Nolan being about 1.3KG. I've got a Box L fixed (four star rating and about £35) and a Shox L flip - both comfy and I hope will fit under the seat of the new style PCX when I can get one! If not, I'll probably be fitting a rear box at some point. The Shox only cost £40 (on offer) is made well, has great padding which can be fully removed for washing. The only bad thing is the flip part does not come up as much as a more expensive flip helmet I tried, but that weighed much more and was hugh (side-side), so did not get that one.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Schuberths are soooo friggin expensive tho. I know you can't put a price on yer noggin, but helmets for a lot less do just as good a job at protecting it.

Price aside, I was never a fan of the look of the Schuberth C3. Just my opinion.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

It depends on how much time you slend it a helmet and in what kind of weather. And how long you plan on using it. I believe all helmets are safe enough. Then you have to consider things like can you see in the sun? At night? In foggy rain? Is the helmet aero enough to stay quiet and reduce buffeting? Can you flip up the front to talk at a light or look at your map?
I commute on my bikes in bad weather and also travel out of town. I wouldn't recommend any helmet that doesn't have a drop down sun visor and a pin lock dual pane. The modular feature allows the chin bar to be much smaller and better fitting around the neck so you don't get that sensation of sidewinds under the chin bar trying to rip your head off.
If you just ride occasionally for fun, a cheap LS2 is a good deal.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I like the option of an internal sun visor...but they do add to the weight of the helmet. Especially the modular flip up helmets which are already heavier due to the hinge mechanism.

Some manufacturers like Bell & Shoei are using transitional external visors which I think are cool, and do away with the need for an internal visor or having to switch visors at night & daytime.

Yeah, they are expensive, but to me, this seems like the most convenient & weight saving solution.

I'm just torn between the Full Face Bell Vortex and the Bell Revolver Evo flip up.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I had a caberg konda flip helmet before. It was fine but quite heavy and noisy. The internal dark visor was good though. I replaced it with a AGV K4 evo which is a lot lighter. I didn't use the flip much so just got a regular helmet. The build quality is better on the AGV as well, but it is a bit more expensive but not much more.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Trying to get my hands on a Bell Vortex to try on. Must have tried on a zillion helmets in the last couple weeks. Of course the most expensive one fit me best so far. Ha! Some of the helmets were downright painful tho. But once I slipped on the Shoei GT Air, I was in helmet heaven. The Shoei RF 1200 was runner up. Large in both. I guess I have a Shoei head. Although, the large shoei Neotec modular helmet felt a bit loose, and the Medium Neotec created a hotspot on my forehead.

My cranium measures aprox 23" around and is longer front to back.

After trying on so many helmets, I think I prefer a FF to a modular. Not only is it safer, the more I thought about it, the less practical a flip up seemed to be. I could easily flip up the visor on a FF for air. Besides that, modulars were heavier, & more expensive.

I still may get a 3/4 helmet in addition to a FF for local rides around town.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Try any HJC's...
I agree about the FF vs. Modular.
I like riding with my FF visor up ahhh breezey , but with sunglasses on of course 8)

But if you had a modular, you could drink and ride, pick your nose and spit a lot easier :lol:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Vagabondman wrote:Some manufacturers like Bell & Shoei are using transitional external visors which I think are cool, and do away with the need for an internal visor or having to switch visors at night & daytime.
Most outlets in the UK don't sell helmets with tinted visors fitted as I believe it's not legal to have them - but nothing stopping them selling them and you fitting such things yourself.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:Try any HJC's...
I like riding with my FF visor up ahhh breezey , but with sunglasses on of course 8)

But if you had a modular, you could drink and ride, pick your nose and spit a lot easier :lol:

But not all at once hopefully
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

you you wrote:
dasshreddar wrote:Try any HJC's...

But not all at once hopefully
Don't under estimate the talents/skills of Californians!!!!
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Some HJC helmets actually fit...but I really hate their internal visor system! Even if their visors didn't hit my big Irish nose(which they do)...I cannot stand the position of the lever on top of the helmet.

As far as not being able to drink or pick your nose in a FF helmet? I can always use a straw...and my fingers are really long. Heh heh heh.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Vagabondman wrote:I think I prefer a FF to a modular.
Modular helmets are very convenient to flip up to talk or get fuel but they also have major advantages in the fit and shape of the shell around the chin. The Schuberth are very expensive but are much warmer in bad weather due to the form fitting chin curtain which snaps shut tight to your neck due to the modular design. The shell is also much closer fitting and aero at the chin bar because it swings into place rather than having to be sticking out far enough to clear your nose. A pop down sun visor and pin lock fog free inner visor are my minimum requirement for any helmet for a serious commuter. If you want something really cheap but good, look at LS2.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/64 ... 386-helmet