Motorcycle Helmets

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Motorcycle Helmets

Post by iceman »

sendler2112 wrote:
Vagabondman wrote:I think I prefer a FF to a modular.
Modular helmets are very convenient to flip up to talk or get fuel but they also have major advantages in the fit and shape of the shell around the chin. The Schuberth are very expensive but are much warmer in bad weather due to the form fitting chin curtain which snaps shut tight to your neck due to the modular design. The shell is also much closer fitting and aero at the chin bar because it swings into place rather than having to be sticking out far enough to clear your nose. A pop down sun visor and pin lock fog free inner visor are my minimum requirement for any helmet for a serious commuter. If you want something really cheap but good, look at LS2.
.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/64 ... 386-helmet.
For a flip type it fairs well on Sharps test - most modular's get low rating at the side by the pivot.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I have an "oblong"-shaped head and wear a Scorpion EXO700. Pretty comfortable, except sometimes on long rides I get a bit of forehead pressure when I wear certan sunglasses - kind of weird. It is lightweight, and SNELL/DOT approved. I didn't pay much more than $100 for it I don't think - maybe $130? I also like the Arai Signet-Q - better face shield optics IMHO.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Are yer sunglasses scripted? If not, how's about a smoked, or colored screen? I have a Shoei Qwest FF, I popped off the clear, put on a smoked. They come in flavors, your choice. Looking 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

6ftMach1Girl wrote:I have an "oblong"-shaped head and wear a Scorpion EXO700. Pretty comfortable, except sometimes on long rides I get a bit of forehead pressure when I wear certan sunglasses - kind of weird. It is lightweight, and SNELL/DOT approved. I didn't pay much more than $100 for it I don't think - maybe $130? I also like the Arai Signet-Q - better face shield optics IMHO.
Mine is similar in shape. Most helmets, my chin or nose hit the front or the flip down hits my glasses. If I buy a large enough to not hit on the face then the sides don't fit.
<---Those of us with "features" are difficult to fit. :lol:
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I've got a big schnoze and chin as well. Vintner nail visors in the HJC helmets hit my nose. The visors in the shoeis didn't tho.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Vagabondman wrote:I've got a big schnoze and chin as well. Vintner nail visors in the HJC helmets hit my nose. The visors in the shoeis didn't tho.
Have you managed to buy a helmet yet?
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

I have 2; Vega Altura and Bell Revolver Evo.

Even though the Vega is 1/3 the cost... I find it 100x's more comfortable. The Bell is convenient (modular) for sure, but it just fits weirdly on my head. I bought a Bell Revolver Evo for my wife (which fits her perfectly) and the dealer offered me 1/2 price on one if I also wanted one. It was nice in the store, but starts hurting my head after 10 mins or so.

I also understand that modular helmets are louder than fullface... but I had NO idea it was going to be as loud as it is. I have earbuds nearly every ride listening to music. In the Vega, I can listen 30%-40% volume. With the Bell, I can barely hear the music unless I turn the volume up to 100%... which then there's too much damn noise going on.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

WhiteNoise wrote:Are yer sunglasses scripted? If not, how's about a smoked, or colored screen? I have a Shoei Qwest FF, I popped off the clear, put on a smoked. They come in flavors, your choice. Looking 8)
Sometimes I wear contacts, sometimes not. So when not, I wear my Rx sunglasses - those are the biggest offenders. After about an hour, the helmet starts to feel tight. After an all day, ride, it gets unbearable. My cheapo non-Rx sungasses do not cause as much of a problem. It just seems weird to me that something that tucks behind my ears on the sides of my head, makes the helmet fit tight on the front of my head.

So, note to self: wear contacts for the long rides!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Maybe there's a gap in the helmet accessory market....
Prescription pinlock visors.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

gn2 wrote:Maybe there's a gap in the helmet accessory market....
Prescription pinlock visors.
these are close:
http://www.aeromedix.com/Optx-20-20_Lenses.html
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Script pinlock visors? Hmm, indeed cool. Do you think the Sun would be a wrecking ball to them?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mikecalderone
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikecalderone »

I just bought 2 new Helmets.

1 - Arai SZ/c Winning RED (Matches the Color of the Forza) 3/4 Helmet.
2 - Nolan N104 Hi-Vis Orange, (WOW - Brite color) Can be seen for miles. Modular Full Face.

Both of theses helmets are Fantastic helmets with good Air flow and comfort.
My Rides:
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
2015 Honda CTX700ND

Previous Rides:
2014 Honda Forza 300
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650
2009 Burgman 400
2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
2005 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500
2003 Honda VT750
1992 Honda elite
1986 Kawasaki KZ600 inline 4
1979 Honda CL350
1977 Honda SL125
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I finally upgraded to a full face helmet. Rode 35 miles with it today and really enjoyed it. It's a HJC CL-16 with machine graphics. Pinlock ready and Snell approved. Its in the $125.00 range. Picked up a dark shield to go with it. Cant beat it for the price. My decond HJC helmet.
20140717_180520.jpg
20140717_180520.jpg (326.99 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
20140717_180802.jpg
20140717_180802.jpg (436.75 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
20140717_180813.jpg
20140717_180813.jpg (318.57 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Heya Steph, I like your wild and crazy "See Me" lid :P I thought about that one myself. I'm always looking for sales and I get emails too. That particular helmet can be had right now for $79.00 here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... elmet.html
I have purchased items from them several times. Great folks! I'd be close to rating them a 10.

:? If it were possible (is it?) for you to return yours, you could save some money.
Just a suggestion :) It's a Cool helmet for sure! :P
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

That is a great deal. Well, I used it for a 35 mile ride. Must be considered used now. They got it for me in two days. And I wanted it for this week end! Will have to bite the bullet on this one.
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Wow, I'm not a huge fan of hi-viz lids, but that helmet looks great! I may have to try one out! Seems most retailers I've found are out of XL size.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay Steph :) How do you like it so far? Weight? Noise? Venting? Etc.
Off topic a sec....is that a Ford Transit in garage? Yours? Do you like it? Have you ever transported your scoot in it? Handy to have vehicles! :P

@ Josh, Click the link above, they have an XL and they will ship same day as ordered! :P
(Note! Free shipping on orders "over" $89.00)
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

WhiteNoise wrote: @ Josh, Click the link above, they have an XL and they will ship same day as ordered! :P
(Note! Free shipping on orders "over" $89.00)
Woohoo! $101 to my door. For $6 extra bucks, I decided to get the face shield and free shipping. :D
Attachments
motorcyclegear.JPG
motorcyclegear.JPG (41.56 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@Josh, Great choice! I think you will like it. And I’ve got complements on it. Not a fan of Hi Viz? Might as well wear the invisible cloak while riding. My @$$ has been spared because of Hi -Viz. A lot of traffic where we ride. I almost ran over a guy on a black bike with black coat and helmet while backing out of my driveway. But, did he look cool! He was pissed. But, I was counter pissed for he was invisible! :roll:
@Whitenoise, Hasn’t been really hot yet to really comment on the venting. Good so far though. Noise level better then my open face. And yes, that is a Ford Transit Connect older model. Haven’t tried to get the scoots in it yet. Originally used for my band equipment. :D
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Steph wrote:@Josh, Great choice! I think you will like it. And I’ve got complements on it. Not a fan of Hi Viz? Might as well wear the invisible cloak while riding. My @$$ has been spared because of Hi -Viz. A lot of traffic where we ride. I almost ran over a guy on a black bike with black coat and helmet while backing out of my driveway. But, did he look cool! He was pissed. But, I was counter pissed for he was invisible!
Well, I wasn't a fan of hi viz lids. That is until I saw the one you purchased, and I have since purchased.
Most I've seen are bland... just bright ass yellow (or orange). It's not that I want to look "cool" riding a scooter... I just don't want to look like a fishing bobber/float.
However, I like the style of the CL-16. That's just it; there's style to it, not bland and boring.