Changed my belt at 16,000 miles

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Changed my belt at 16,000 miles

Post by 87112 »

I got my Forza used at 4,3xx miles. At 16k last week I took the Forza 300 for its 1st belt change.

Now here is the funny part the dealer told me the previous belt on there was put on BACKWARDS. How is this possible?

Did Honda at the Factory put on a the belt backwards or did the previous owner screw up. And if that was the case why a a new belt below 5k miles when Honda calls for a change at 16k.

Shows that Honda products are indestrubible.
:geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Changed my belt at 16,000 miles

Post by gn2 »

The belt isn't a Honda product.
Honda buy their CVT belts from Bando or Mitsuboshi.
And believe me if you don't change them in time they can fail.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

The belts are not directional so how can you put one on backwards?
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

I'm not 100% sure about Honda Forza belt and various models and manufacturers, but I have seen on YouTube some CVT belts have an arrow on it that shows the direction of rotation and must be put in that correct direction...

OP maybe the bike wasn't 5k mile...!? Here in Thailand they regularly hack the odo and change it down, but then again here is a world apart from there...! lol
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I have just changed my belt (Honda OE) at 13200 miles. I did it early as it seemed the best time to do it with the Covid-19 lockdown in the UK. I did not measure the width of the new belt but when I measured the old belt, it was 25.7mm, which is the wear limit of the belt as recommended in the Honda workshop manual. It could be worn a bit prematurely because my Forza is predominantly used around the city where I live and stop/starts are the normal. It was straightforward to change, apart from the need to compress the clutch spring to get the new belt between the rear faces. Fortunately, a friend of mine, has much stronger hands than myself as I couldn't move it at all!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Did you measure it properly?
Put two straight edges on the sides and measure the distance between them level with the top of the belt.
This measurement is wider than the belt itself.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

gn2 wrote:Did you measure it properly?
Put two straight edges on the sides and measure the distance between them level with the top of the belt.
This measurement is wider than the belt itself.
Yes! I did measure it properly - how else would I be able to get a reading of 25.7mm? I used a digital vernier gauge to get a very accurate reading. I have a genuine Honda Service Manual for the Forza and the width figures for the belt in the manual are: standard width - 26.7mm and the wear limit is 25.7mm.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its how you measure it which is the piece of information I was trying to get across.
You can't just measure the actual width of the belt.
Your manual should confirm the correct procedure.