New Record MPG

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

New Record MPG

Post by davenowherejones »

I wanted to ride my scooter to try out my snow tire.

I went from Hope to Lillooet and back the long way via Ashcroft, Logan Lake & Merritt.

I left Hope with the RCMP red & blue lights behind me. I used my superior Star Wars Yoda skills to evade them. Turned the other way.

I headed for Boston Bar for ice cream. Mandatory stop. I got over Jackass without problems but considering the 7.8 earthquake in neighbouring Alaska I did OK.

Lytton came and went until I got to the next really big slide. Lots of rocks on the road but the mighty Forza conquered it all.

There was a big horny she goat in the middle of the road by Lillooet. Those Yoda tricks work pretty good. The horns were sharp.

Lunch at A&W. They are building some kind of bridge at the big slide between Lillooet and Cache Creek. There was a drum circle at Hat Creek Road.

I went to the Tim Hortons at Ashcroft for gas & a donut. The Village of Ashcroft is way down below at the Thompson River. I watched my mpg meter going up, it shows km/litre for me. 30 km/L is pretty good but it kept going up.

I was practically just rolling down the hill. I had to slow down going past the Trimac Super B tanker truck in the ditch.

The meter peaked out at 69.2 km/litre or about 195 miles per Imperial Gallon in CANADA. Without the truck crash I bet it would have hit 200 mpg. You Americans can do your own math but this was pretty good.

Unfortunately I had to go back up the hill on the other side of the river. I went past the huge mine at Highland Valley Copper and their giant tailings pond. One big earthquake and away it goes.

I had french fries in Merritt. How come ketchup is free but Mayo cost 25 cents a pack? I have way less stomach problems now that McDonalds employees wear masks. I hear they even wash their hands now.

I was getting tired. There was a big headwind on the highway, the mpg went down a lot.

I battled with the huge trucks and came out alive.

502 km of excitement. Over 1000 corners (?) I had to do laundry by the time I got home. The Forza Rocks.

No problems with the City Grip 2.

ps There is a new Dollarama in Hope. I checked it out and then the RCMP pulled into the parking lot to check me out. Those Yoda skills are great. Too bad Rambo didn't have them when they filmed the movie in Hope.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: New Record MPG

Post by you you »

No lottery ticket. DISAPPOINTED.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

you you wrote:No lottery ticket. DISAPPOINTED.
I checked my tickets in Ashcroft and won $1 with a free ticket also for Friday.

I need to win $10,000 just to break even!!!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

195 mpg Canadian is just being silly but I have 102 mpg Canadian in legitimate riding (sort of) slowly along the side of the highway.

Occasionally I get in the 90's by going slow for a long way.

Mostly I get 70's & 80's for normal riding.

60's is for when I go really fast.

There is a huge variation in my MPG. I have a spread sheet with every fuel purchase I have made with the Forza. Road speed and AIR speed are the biggest factors.

Up hill and down hill are not really big factors. I can get better MPG with a tailwind going up the Coquihalla to 4000 feet than going down.

I once rode a bicycle down the Coquihalla with a headwind. I had to pedal hard to go down a steep hill.

I laugh at people who make a variator change and claim an improvement in MPG. It varies way too much.

But some people claim they have a sensitive asshole and can tell the improvements by seat of the pants measurements.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am going on a very dangerous ride. This may be my last report.

I am doing the Duffy Lake Loop. A famous Canadian ride that will take me from Hope to Vancouver to Whislter to Pemberton to Lillooet to Lytton and back to Hope.

People die on this ride. It not as bad as the Dakar but riders crash all the time.

I wanted to go yesterday but constipation has delayed me. It was also super hot yesterday. It is supposed to be cooler today.

It is supposed to be a one day ride and I have done it several times in one day. I am too old (61) and too unhealthy to do it in one day. Pemberton or Lillooet might be a motel stop.

I will buy a lottery ticket at the Sqewqel Gas Bar. I swear they made these names up just to confuse the white lawyers.

Gotta go, I better put the garbage out, do the laundry, I might even do the dishes.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When the throttle closes and the economy meter instantaneous readout shoots up to 299mpg it always makes me happy.
But not as happy as the 89mpg average over the year I've owned the Xmax.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Free hash brown at McDonalds. I confuse girls.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Icecream at McDonald’s Pemberton. The next stage has a 10 km ? climb, hundreds of corners, 10 km descent & Chinese Food with lots of stupidity in between.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

31 summers ago I was moving dirt around in the dust with my gravel truck to prepare that road for paving.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

relic wrote:31 summers ago I was moving dirt around in the dust with my gravel truck to prepare that road for paving.
So you are the one that made it so crooked. I drove that road in my VW Scirocco. Every corner was blind and so was every hill. It was great!

My rad hose blew as I entered Pemberton. I had to wait until the next morning until Lordco? Opened. The Pemberton Hotel was a one star back then. Good times.

Pemberton was full of smoke. So was the next half of the highway over the mountains.

Too tired. Staying in Lillooet tonight. Slow trip home tomorrow. Chinese Food tonight?
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Lordco probably hadn't been invented way back then, there was a full service ESSO garage that carried everything from light bulbs hoses belts spark plugs tire repair,just about anything you
needed to patch a vehicle together just around the corner from the Pemberton hotel.
Stayed there many nights when I worked in forestry-had to have had one of the widest bars in BC at that time.
To top it of the railroad would leave their locomotives running all night just outside, add on the summer heat no wonder it was a one star hotel.
The year I worked on the Duffey stayed in the Hichin' Post Motel in Mount Currie. That story is probably a full novel.
Enjoy the Chinese food and enjoy the ride.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I should have skipped supper. I had some bad Chinese Food or I really should wash my hands more. Terrible pain all night. I stayed at the Mile-0 in Lillooet.

Riding a motorcycle with stomach problems is not pleasant. I am home. I took a pill. I have been reading a bunch of murder mysteries. If I took all 14 pills would that be suicide or a desperate attempt at relief. I took only one. Hide them in a lasagna. Did Agatha Christie ever do it this way?

Jackass is falling down. They are trying to keep the road out of the river a thousand feet below. Blasting. The road from Lillooet to Lytton had lots and lots of fallen rock. Bad.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Part of my ride through the mountains I got 92 miles per Canadian gallon.

I was going to buy gas in Lillooet but it would have only been about 2 litres, not worth the effort.

I waited until Lytton but the gas station on the Rez had complicated COVID procedures that would have taken an hour. I went to the Esso on the other side of town. No waiting.

I am still recovering but need to cut a lot of grass. I want a new body.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

128 miles on 4.4 litres on my PCX today.

Just saying....
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

It is amazing what is possible. I get excited if my Dodge 4x4 gets more than 17 mpg Canadian.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

davenowherejones wrote:It is amazing what is possible. I get excited if my Dodge 4x4 gets more than 17 mpg Canadian.
Same here - my Dodge does about 17 US, but when towing my 5th wheel in the Rockies I was lucky to get 10. I was excited about that!

Now, when I added my boat behind the 5th wheel it got worse - unless I was going down I-70 into Denver!! :lol: :lol:
IMG_0414 (Small).JPG
IMG_0414 (Small).JPG (64.08 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am dyslexic with a left/right problem.

I have extreme difficulty with one trailer as the dents in my truck will prove.

There is no way I would ever try two trailers. Life is too short for that nonsense.
Silversmurfer

Post by Silversmurfer »

davenowherejones wrote:It is amazing what is possible. I get excited if my Dodge 4x4 gets more than 17 mpg Canadian.
Meanwhile, the C125 Super Cub is actually rated for 225 Canadian (188 American) MPG. With fuelly reporting average real MPG's of 126 American MPG.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Very dead around here.

I went for a scooter ride up the canyon to Lytton. Nothing special.

I figure I might head towards Vancouver on Saturday just to look around the motorcycle shops. I have no money so I will just be a nuisance as always.

I talked to a lady the other day about my lime green Olympia Dakar 2 three season jacket. I knew it had a lot of kilometers on it. I just checked my massive spread sheet. It has 146,888.5 kilometers from my DR650 and my 2014 Forza 300. It also has several hundred more just from demo rides.

The jacket is looking quite dirty now. It has been washed quite a few times. It has faded a lot and has various stains. Not much blood on it.

I asked a RCMP officer how they keep their jackets so clean. He told me they get a new one every time it gets blood on it. Their jackets all look brand new!

I have broken several zippers on the Olympia's. They sent me a new inner jacket for free. A salesman also just gave me an inner jacket from a display model.

My jacket was defective when it was brand new. The belt has velcro but the only way you can make the velcro fasten up if you have a 22 inch waist. It was an xlarge jacket. I zap strapped the belt to hold it in place.

The little pockets down by the waist have 10 mm velcro to hold them down in a wind. Unfortunately the velcro was not strong enough. The pockets flapped up and down hitting me in the stomach repeatedly. I put two snaps on the pocket to hold it in place.

There is an inner mobile phone pocket that was only big enough for an old very small Nokia flip phone. None of the iPhones would fit. 5 years out of date when it was brand new.

The Olympia Dakar 2 was a 3 piece jacket. Outer mesh with cheap foam armour, imitation Goretex nylon inner jacket and a nylon thermal layer.

Even with all of the faults I basically like the jacket. The velcro is not of the best quality, the colour has faded and several broken zippers.

It was a $500 Canadian jacket 5.5 years ago. I would like a KLIM Goretex jacket but they are mega dollars. I need pants also.

I have spent $20,000 Canadian having fun on my Forza but I am out of money now.