Anyone else drive a VW

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Anyone else drive a VW

Post by 87112 »

I just bought my 1st German car. A 2012 VW Jetta Wagon with the 2.5 5 cylinder. I got it with 66,800 miles on it for 8,230 dollars.

It has the fake leather and sunroof package and this interior feels so luxurious to me. My daily driver is a Nissan Cube which drives so soft that the handling is like steering a boat.

I wanted a non GDI or turbo motor in a VW so its was either the 2.5 5 cylinder or nothing. I use to drive a 2012 Hyundai Accent with the GDI and did not like how it got carbon buildup after 40k miles, if I did not put super unleaded in the tank you could hear engine noises. This is the reason I seek out cars with no fancy anything engine related.

The drive is just as like everyone says a German car should be, tight road feeling steering with a firm connected road feel. I love this car so much I don't even want to put more than 400-500 miles a month on it. I consider it my " weekend" car.

Do you guys consider VW the poor man's Audi?
:geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Anyone else drive a VW

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:I just bought my 1st German car. A 2012 VW Jetta Wagon with the 2.5 5 cylinder. I got it with 66,800 miles on it for 8,230 dollars.

It has the fake leather and sunroof package and this interior feels so luxurious to me. My daily driver is a Nissan Cube which drives so soft that the handling is like steering a boat.

I wanted a non GDI or turbo motor in a VW so its was either the 2.5 5 cylinder or nothing. I use to drive a 2012 Hyundai Accent with the GDI and did not like how it got carbon buildup after 40k miles, if I did not put super unleaded in the tank you could hear engine noises. This is the reason I seek out cars with no fancy anything engine related.

The drive is just as like everyone says a German car should be, tight road feeling steering with a firm connected road feel. I love this car so much I don't even want to put more than 400-500 miles a month on it. I consider it my " weekend" car.

Do you guys consider VW the poor man's Audi?

No. It’s just another VAG product. It’s not a rich mans skoda either.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Owned 58 Ghia 61 bug and 63 van all well past there prime when I got a hold of them.
The ghia i junked the bug I traded for a 53 ford pickup and the van sold for $135 dollars
Total cost for all three was something like $1300.
The ghia got me out of high school and mobile the bug was a beauty owned by a mechanic who kept it in pristine condition and was a wonderful car
the van l drove to Puerto Escondido Mexico and then to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras and back home.
Wasn't quite finished with it yet and beat the shit out of it going to Bella Coola,
got it back home and sold it for$135.
My buddy drove it across Canada to Halifax and back to Montreal, he wan't very mechanical and left it there.
Have fun with your new VW and don't save it for special occasions-use it up.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had a few "Bugs" in my driving history, and I restored most of them, which was great fun. I now have a grandson in the Seattle area who seems to have the same love for restoring old VW bugs. I'm proud to say that he enjoys doing it like I did.

As far a VWs go now, I would love to get my hands on one of the new bugs. I test drove one and loved it.

The only problems I have read about on any of the VWs has been the electrical systems, which seem to still plague the ones assembled in Mexico...and of course the diesel emissions problem that was in the news.

Just be aware of that and enjoy the ride.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I had bought a used Beetle back in the '70s.

Had to replace the gas tank and exhaust system. Other than that the thing ran great. Wish I still had it.

Never had any electrical problems with it either. A real fun car to drive on windy bridges. :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Yes the Mexicans assemble a great VW.
And S. America makes a great VW engine & transmission!
Easy to spot used VWs made in Mexico....one or more lights are burnt out. Usually a tail light.

All 6 of mine (3 Beetles, 2 Jettas) were made in Germany, except for the 91 Vanagon GL, which was made in Austria.

Good cars, all of them …
When my last Jetta died of cancer after 25 winters - I switched to a Kymco. (true story)

Fish

PS: I forgot two Rabbits!...Make that 8 VWs then.
Shoot...and another, a '69 Bus when I got home from 'Nam.
Never owned American until father-in-law gave me his Chevy F-150. "you can't just own a scooter in Ohio!"
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I think the OP was talking about a 21st century VW.
iLoveWagons
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by iLoveWagons »

wagons for the win.

I have an 08 a4 wagon 6speed manual :D 2.0T
Attachments
IMG_20200517_152148_164 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200517_152148_164 - Copy.jpg (467.18 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Nice wagon! My wife would rather drive an automatic but otherwise that wagon would be everything we want or need in a car. Too bad that are scarce around here. Most people here would rather have a pickup truck or an SUV. My preference would be a wagon or an SUV. Don't get me wrong, I love pickup trucks, but their gas mileage sucks. There seem to be a lot of people out here in the country who use their pickup trucks as family cars. I would hate to see their monthly gas bill. Pickup trucks are not meant for great gas mileage. They are meant for hauling.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

My dad was an airline pilot and back in the 70s when I was a teen he picked up a 68 VW bug in New Jersey for $50. Used it to get home from Newark after a trip. It had no brakes except for the parking brake. This would work OK if you thought ahead and started pumping it early so you wouldn't skid. I had much fun with that car whenever he was away and my mom was asleep. Never did fix the brakes. He sold it once he looked at the odometer and knew I was driving it around town.
In the 80s I got a Rabbit diesel and drove it all over New England on weekends. Road trips cost very little in that car. Used to drop the back seats and load it up for camping.
In the 90s I had a couple of Jettas, the last being my favorite and I passed it on to my son who drove it till it finally died.
I love VWs but agree that they frequently had electrical problems over time (antenna coil?!) and break downs of some structural things like seats and doors. My wife bought a Honda in the 00s and that's been all we've had since then. They have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned. The CRV has over 240K and the Pilot 220K. Both still running great.
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

you you wrote:I think the OP was talking about a 21st century VW.
Check the sticker on the window....
Last I looked....assembly Mex, trans Argentina, engine Brazil.
Some indeed come from Germany....probably the most expensive ones.

Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I think all that conspiracy to intentionally dream up the idea, plan it, design it, build it, sell it, and then deny all knowledge that their EFI system was programmed to give false pollution readings during inspections was all a hoax. Doesn't matter that people admitted it, or that international testing confirms it, or that documentation was found to verify it, or that courts found it to be true. Naaah, it's a hoax. VW is a trustworthy company that deserves customers.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Well this thread has been very boring so far, so let me help remedy that...

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Still boring......
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Limey wrote:
gn2 wrote:Well this thread has been very boring so far, so let me help remedy that...
Still boring......
:lol: :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Definitely "grin" material. :lol: