Procedure when the Honda Smartkey wont work ?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Red Cardinal
Year: 2017
Color: White

Procedure when the Honda Smartkey wont work ?

Post by Red Cardinal »

Has anyone tried the procedure when the Honda Smartkey wont work ?

The handbook says :
  • Remove the blue dummy coupler from the EM mode connector and connect the EM mode coupler to the EM mode connector
  • Press the ignition switch (many times) to input the ID number.
  • Remove the EM mode coupler and put back the blue dummy coupler
  • You can now start the engine
What does the EM mode coupler do ?

If I leave the EM mode coupler attached will my ignition switch stay live all the time and save me using the Smartkey ?

The reason I ask is that I don't like the Smartkey at all and wish it had an old fashioned key operated switch !
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Re: Procedure when the Honda Smartkey wont work ?

Post by Jge64 »

What is it about the smart key that you don’t like? I just put my keys in my pocket, and never think about it again. I get off the bike, turn the bike off, When I want to start it , I turn the bike on. I love it because my keys don’t bang around the bike and I don’t have to worry about where my keys are.I keep an extra battery taped in the unlocked free fairing pocket in case the fob goes down, power wise.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Red Cardinal
Year: 2017

Re: Procedure when the Honda Smartkey wont work ?

Post by Red Cardinal »

Well in the early days the switch that allows you to choose between opening the fuel filler flap and the seat wouldn't work properly.

It wouldn't return to the middle properly leaving the ignition switch locked and I was unable to start the scooter.

After much pressure on Honda they agreed that my Honda Dealer could look into it.

They discovered that the fuel filler/seat switch was ultra sensitive and there was nothing that could be done about that and I would have to live with it.

They said to move it gently backwards and forwards until I found the right spot whereby the ignition switch was able to be moved.

If it were possible I would disable the smart switch and replace it with an old fashioned switch without hesitation.

I wish I had your scooter and smart key !

I have had numerous Honda Motorbikes and scooters and this is the first time I have felt let down and uncertain whether when I return to my scooter it will start.

My daily commute has often been a round trip of 100 miles all year round.