High Revs at low speeds

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Variant
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

High Revs at low speeds

Post by Variant »

Just brought a 2017 pcx150 with 3500km on the clock here in Thailand. Looks very clean and stock but it revs high at low speeds. Im a newbie with this type of thing but maybe previous owner dropped in some light weight rollers/sliders of some such? It has really good acceleration. I would love to make it so it has low rpm at low speeds, not interested in high speed very often, I like to ride rather slowly, would prefer the quiet cruisey slow ride...
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Re: High Revs at low speeds

Post by Conelite »

Step 1: Get a tach to see if its actually reving high
Step 2: Check and see what size weights you have
step 3: Install heavier weights if you want lower RPM's

Whats your max speed?
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Take out a roller and weigh it.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Variant

Post by Variant »

Thank you, yes I studied about cvt rollers quite a bit last night and am thinking along the same lines now. It really is quite annoying at low speeds compared to the low rpm of other scooters or even the pcx I rented a few months back. I havnt gotten to top speed as yet but it accelerated strongly up to 80kmph and seemed like it would take it's own good time after that. Im in Thailand without tools so that and the language barrier does complicate things a little. I will look online and see it I can find a tach. The place I brought it is also a mechanic so hopefully he can weigh the roller (if I can communicate the concept!) I think the stock roller weight is 18.5g?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Conelite »

Variant wrote:Thank you, yes I studied about cvt rollers quite a bit last night and am thinking along the same lines now. It really is quite annoying at low speeds compared to the low rpm of other scooters or even the pcx I rented a few months back. I havnt gotten to top speed as yet but it accelerated strongly up to 80kmph and seemed like it would take it's own good time after that. Im in Thailand without tools so that and the language barrier does complicate things a little. I will look online and see it I can find a tach. The place I brought it is also a mechanic so hopefully he can weigh the roller (if I can communicate the concept!) I think the stock roller weight is 18.5g?
I think the stock ones are 15gram roller weights. You can check and see if you can weigh them. Make sure they are installed correctly. Also check your clutch assembly. It could be stuck.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Might not be just the rollers. Sounds like the entire variator was changed into an aftermarket one where topend is the priority. Plenty of aftermarket variator sold here in Thailand and Thais love them as they love to WOT in the highway.

I'll go to Honda and tell them you want OEM parts in there.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...