Electric supercharger install

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mikes150pcx
Year: 2019
Color: Metallic grey

Electric supercharger install

Post by Mikes150pcx »

Hello everyone, I have purchased a electric supercharger and when I get it I'll install it to see how effective 3 pounds of boost is? I don't doubt there will be some gain but on interstate is where I'm going to find out how 70 mph is to maintain so if anyone is interested I'll keep you posted. Also the kit are from$250 and up on eBay but I found a kit for $65 new including shipping and I couldn't pass it up.The motor is a BLDC so it should last a while and if it's a genuine deal I'm ordering a few more at that price for one day I'll build a multi turbo rocket engine and its a great starter to spool the turbos. Anyway if I'm calculated correctly im expecting to see a 3 plus horsepower gain and for that reason would justify the project. I have not seen anything on the internet on exactly what I have in mind but the math has me interested so we will see! I'll keep you posted if interested in results!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Electric supercharger install

Post by Mel46 »

On a PCX?? Interesting. I hope you succeed. I have never heard of adding one to a scooter, so it should be interesting.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

You should have better saved your money take a look at this: Electric Super Chargers Myth busted
;) I hope you can get a refund..... :(
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

This is going to be entertaining.

Pretty sure you wont maybe 3PSI of boost from a 12v "fan"

Anyways, with some tuning you can maintain 70 without this. lol plus you are going to lean out the engine if you make any boost at all.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

I think the leaf blowers would be a better bet - where to mount on a PCX though???
Mikes150pcx

https://www.larcoll.club/universal-car-suv-electric-turbo-su

Post by Mikes150pcx »

Here's the electric supercharger (seen in my next post). About the tuning I'm going to watch the lean/ rich very carefully!
Mikes150pcx

Post by Mikes150pcx »

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Interesting, 240 watts is a lot for the electrical system of the PCX. Are you going to add an extra battery and only use it for a few seconds at a time?
The ones made for auto manufacturers usually run on 24 or 48 volts. One issue that you might run into is that the blower might be too big for the 150 cc PCX engine.
Do report back on your findings.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Re: https://www.larcoll.club/universal-car-suv-electric-turb

Post by Conelite »

Mikes150pcx wrote:Here's the electric supercharger. About the tuning I'm going to watch the the lean/ rich very carefully!
Don't waste your money buddy. Unless you carry a 16v battery strapped to your back independent from the bike.

Spend that money on a good variator and weights, Instantly 5-10mph faster.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Mikes150pcx

Post by Mikes150pcx »

I can appreciate everyone's concerns but as cheap as this is I personally feel that its worth the gamble. My goal is to make a few more horse power when needed and this may or may not be the solution but untill I can get a bigbore kit I'm going to commit In seeing this to it's end and the I will be watching the emissions on scan tool for too lean and intake temps fuel trims and see If this has benefit or if it's not I'll let you know. Let's see what happens? I believe the gain will be small but I also believe it would be effective unless the electric supercharger is not what is advertised. The scoot needs about 3-5 more horsepower until I see solid info performance kits on a 2019 149cc engine, this is my alternative.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

As much as I kinda like stubborn, dedicated people - I know that physics is a very reliable thing, and that makes life quite predictable. I haooen to know a few rhings about internal combustion engines too.
I also like psychology, and that tells me that very few of the stubborn peeps would come back and post about failures after they tried.
So I just sit back, and will wait for your story. If you disappear we know it didn't work. If you come back and report that you busted large bore bikes on the drag strip, we will know that physics is a biatch and you had it. ;-)

ps, just calculate how much air this small 150cc single engine flows at 9k rpm, and check if the "supercharger" will be able to match it, let alone creating actual pressure at all. Think about how you'll modulate the flow from the "supercharger", and how will youbadd more fuel ro the mixture. After all, an engine runs on air and fuel, and adding more air needs more of the later to be able to produce more oomph.
Mikes150pcx

Post by Mikes150pcx »

Oyabun wrote:As much as I kinda like stubborn, dedicated people - I know that physics is a very reliable thing, and that makes life quite predictable. I haooen to know a few rhings about internal combustion engines too.
I also like psychology, and that tells me that very few of the stubborn peeps would come back and post about failures after they tried.
So I just sit back, and will wait for your story. If you disappear we know it didn't work. If you come back and report that you busted large bore bikes on the drag strip, we will know that physics is a biatch and you had it. ;-)

ps, just calculate how much air this small 150cc single engine flows at 9k rpm, and check if the "supercharger" will be able to match it, let alone creating actual pressure at all. Think about how you'll modulate the flow from the "supercharger", and how will youbadd more fuel ro the mixture. After all, an engine runs on air and fuel, and adding more air needs more of the later to be able to produce more oomph.
Mikes150pcx

Post by Mikes150pcx »

I swear there are real geniuses, it's only 3 pounds of boost, not a freaking rocket and I'm not absolutely certain on anything yet but I do think it can produce a few extra hp. If I'm wrong I'll let you know because so far I haven't seen crap on this. I understand fuel mapping and I'll watch the O2 for lean burn. If I need more fuel then I'll get a bigger injector but I think it's within the injectors range of mixture controller. Again nothing is certain because I can't find anything on this.
Mikes150pcx

Post by Mikes150pcx »

Let me just add that the volume-metric efficiency should improve and that equals power.
Haarek
Year: 125 Forza
Color: Black

Post by Haarek »

Lol. So your pcx alternator is able to deliver 20 amps to this gizmo?

I'd rather spend the money on a coat of red paint. I have read somewhere on the internet that you could get at least 4hp extra, compared to the slow colours. And I have proof for it too! My red car can go much faster than my black Forza, so red colour obviously provides a huge performance boost.
2019 Honda NSS125 Forza.
Norway
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Interesting that your link shows it at about $59 whereas on E-bay the same one is over $480. Must be trying to offload it because they know it is ineffective?

Should probably try this too??? :lol:
Snap 2020-06-06 at 09.19.06 (Small).jpg
Snap 2020-06-06 at 09.19.06 (Small).jpg (54.43 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Mikes150pcx wrote:I swear there are real geniuses, it's only 3 pounds of boost, not a freaking rocket and I'm not absolutely certain on anything yet but I do think it can produce a few extra hp. If I'm wrong I'll let you know because so far I haven't seen crap on this. I understand fuel mapping and I'll watch the O2 for lean burn. If I need more fuel then I'll get a bigger injector but I think it's within the injectors range of mixture controller. Again nothing is certain because I can't find anything on this.
As I said, I'm really interested.
Just curious what way you think the "I think it's within the injectors range of mixture controller" will add more fuel on the stock ecu?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I was always under the impression that either with nitrous, or a super or turbo charger, that the bottom end of an engine had to be fortified before it was viable… (With forged components) Can the PCX take the bottom end load?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Oyabun wrote:
Mikes150pcx wrote: ..... If I need more fuel then I'll get a bigger injector
......Just curious what way you think the "I think it's within the injectors range of mixture controller" will add more fuel on the stock ecu?
Ad an extra injector instead of a bigger one, to meet fuel demand when using the charger?
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Jge64 wrote:I was always under the impression that either with nitrous, or a super or turbo charger, that the bottom end of an engine had to be fortified before it was viable… (With forged components) Can the PCX take the bottom end load?
It depends on how strong the engine was designed to be. All engine have a limit on how much extra HP can be made with OEM internals, some more than others. Only way to find out is to try it. No one here has done a turbo on a stock internal of Honda PCX engine, or a turbo for that matter.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.