Ordered a new windscreen

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Ordered a new windscreen

Post by vito »

I love the PCX and sometimes prefer to take it out for a ride over taking my Honda Goldwing. Today was one of those days. I went to my mechanic, about 25 miles from my home, so today's ride was 50 miles roundtrip. The PCX worked perfectly, other than when I was on a 55mph road and traveling at 55 to 60, even with the visor down on my 3/4 helmet the wind was a real challenge. So I ordered the National Cycle replacement windscreen and my mechanic will install it for me. I looked at the Givi but didn't like the shape of the screen. Hope it makes a real difference when riding the scoot, especially when we get back to cold weather again.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Ordered a new windscreen

Post by Gil »

That's great, for those higher speeds a windscreen makes a big difference. Do share your impressions of the windshield once you install it.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If I still had my PCX I would have chosen a National Cycle Windscreen for it also . . ..

It takes a bit of doing but you could probably mount one yourself.

The last 2019 PCX that was at my local Honda Dealer has evidently been sold. Seems all they have left is a bunch of Ruckus machines in their scooter supply.

That said there are a few 2020's around at some regional dealerships.

The seat on the newer ones really is better IMHO than the stock one I had on my 2017. I'd still like to get a new PCX some day . . .. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My 2013 model has the tall Givi windshield and I can't say enough about how great it is. I rode my bike out to our new house when we moved recently and much of the ride was at 55 mph. It handled beautifully. I would have loved to just spend the day riding but we were moving. I will be so so glad when I can ride again...after I clear enough stuff out of the garage to get to my bike. Oh well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

I'm looking forward to hearing you opinion once it's installed. I have the same bike and am looking forward to your impressions.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

I often ride the highway to visit my folks. Granted I cruise 60 with ease, I wonder how much easier I would be able to maintain 65+ with help of a screen.

In for results.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

When I refer to "highway" I am thinking of the Interstate highways, and even with a screen I would never even think of doing so with the PCX. The speed limit on the Interstates by me is 70, with most traffic moving at 75 to 80. Even in the right lane I would not want to try it with the top speed of the low 60's. But on 55mph roads, the PCX does fine.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My PCX will top out at 75 mph. I have taken my bike on the freeway a few times and it has kept up with traffic, but it is an experience that I don't think I will do again. The PCX is just too light to run at those speeds around trucks and fast moving SUVs. Riding on secondary roads at 55 mph is much more fun, and much safer. The tall windshield will make a lot of difference at those speeds.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

I guess it depends on what you buy the scooter for. If you goal is to be able to ride on high speed highways, but you still want a 149cc scooter, then a lot lot of mods to increase the top speed would be reasonable. I bought the scooter for other purposes and have an 1832cc motorcycle for when I need the ability to ride at high speeds (although personally I have not gone over 115 on the speedometer). If I were to have only one two wheeled motorized vehicle, and I may end up with that situation when the Goldwing is just too much for my aging body to handle, I would likely trade in the Goldwing AND the PCX and get a Yamaha X-Max, or a Suzuki Burgman 400. Then I would have the ability to ride highways comfortably but the convenience of the scooter.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I had a Burgman 400 and loved it. The only reason that I traded it for a PCX 150 was because my riding habits changed and I found the majority of my riding was now locally, in town. The Burgman was just too bulky to be able to turn quickly into parking spaces...and getting it out of a parking space that angled down hill was really difficult. Turning quickly down a tight alley was not possible either. The PCX does all of the things I need it for now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

If Honda offered the PCX with a 300cc engine and without increasing the weight or size of the scooter significantly it would be about perfect. I guess the Forza fills that role but I am not sure if Honda still ships that to the U.S.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I guess the Forza fills that role but I am not sure if Honda still ships that to the U.S.
The new Forza 300 never made it to these shores and be part of the line up at Honda Dealer showrooms.

I watched a lot of "foreign" reviews comparing the Yamaha X-Max to the new Forza 300.

It would have been great if I had the opportunity to compare the two myself before I let loose with the cash but that day never arrived.

What convinced me to go ahead and just buy the X-Max was the seat comfort. It just felt right. That said it is a bit of a "tall ride". I just move a bit forward on the saddle to reach the ground better when needed. A lot of times I can just stop at an intersection without having to put my feet down because the center of gravity is low and the thing is easy to balance. That said I always come to a complete stop . . ..

Under seat stowage is ample. I've carried 17 lb. bags of bird seed with an added bag of cat food no problem. It is pushing the recommended weight limit a bit but works for me considering I was only about 2 miles from home.

As an added bonus the X-Max has a great sound when accelerating hard and for a 300 offers ample oommpphhhh. :D

My kids call it the "Batcycle". :lol:
100_6823a.jpg
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Did you compare it to the Burgman before you made your decision?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Did you compare it to the Burgman before you made your decision?
First off let me say that I've always liked Suzuki motorcycles. I currently still own a 1998 GSF1200S (bought brand new) and have had (and ridden) several others over my years of riding.

That said I was apprehensive about buying the Burgman 200 due to reviews I saw about the ergonomics (had one offered to me "used" from a dealer when I was going to buy my X-Max). The Burgman 400, which lists for almost $9K, and the 650 (last sold here in 2018) for almost $12K, are fine machines but are a bit pricey and frankly not the easiest to work on from my perspective. However I think Fish and Mel could give you a better opinion on their "ease of ownership". So I crossed the Burgman 400 off my list for two reasons. One, it was more scooter than I needed and two, it was expensive.

So I liked the new Honda Forza reviews I was seeing from abroad and when compared to the Yamaha X-Max it came down to "more relaxed" vs "more sporty" IMHO.

However the X-Max remained the only viable solution for my needs. The first impression and OTD price being around $6K was a big plus.

If money was no object I'd get the Vespa 300 Sei Giorni "just to have" . . .. It's a class act and legendary.

Granted I didn't test ride a Burgman 400. Frankly, none were to be had at my local dealer and they were sparse state-wide from other dealerships.
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Funny that you mention the Vespa. Before I bought my PCX150 I started my search by demo riding the Vespa 300 (not sure which model). Very powerful; I was able to get up to 70 mph in no time, with throttle left to spare. But in part I was looking for a scooter that my wife might right, and I found the Vespa a bit tall for me (5'8") so I knew it would far too tall for her at 5'4". I also was not thrilled with the feel of the scooter. It felt like I had nothing in front of me, whereas the PCX feels more motorcycle like in my opinion. The Vespa also has smaller diameter wheels, which to me is a negative. And finally, whereas the PCX was $4,000 brand new, the Vespa was literally twice that price at $8,000. I also demo rode the Yamaha S-Max, but I did not care for the ride in comparison to the PCX. Finally, the nearest Vespa dealer is quite a long ride from my home, whereas the nearest Honda dealer is much closer, and the mechanic I use for my Goldwing was a long time Honda mechanic who feels comfortable working on the PCX as well, if ever needed. If the Forza does not come back to the U.S. in the future, the X-Max might end up being my ride as well.

Have you taken the X-Max on the Interstate highways? How does it do at those speeds? Any feel for what the top speed of the scooter is?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The Xmax is solid and steady all the way through 92 miles an hour. At least mine is.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Have you taken the X-Max on the Interstate highways? How does it do at those speeds? Any feel for what the top speed of the scooter is?
I've taken my X-Max on I-95 but not for long hauls.

I've also taken it on other "limited access highways" similar to I-95 like Rt. 9 in my area and had no problem keeping up with traffic. That said I generally think the traffic flows too quick for the density. About 80 MPH seems to be the new 60 MPH. Crazy if you ask me . . .. If ever we needed a 55 MPH National Speed Limit it would be today with all the people texting, on meds, or just plain not fit to be operating a motor vehicle. I digress . . .. :roll:

TBH I never ran it WOT to see what my top speed would be but I never felt it lacked for power at the upper end of the speed range if I "asked for more". So If I needed to pass someone who was going 55 MPH and the speed limit was 65 MPH I'd be able to pass with enthusiasm. :D

Since it's a scooter and not a motorcycle the suspension is on the soft side by comparison. So I have to be alert for gnarly expansion joints on bridges or roadwork (paving) that was done and left a "lump" in the road that would be all-lanes-wide . . . hence no avoiding it. It's just better to be "on your game" riding Interstate Highways than riding along in a dreamworld.

The brakes are quite good. At first I thought the brakes felt somewhat "wooden" but that feeling was due to my lack of experience with an ABS machine. The X-Max is the first scooter I've owned with ABS. It also has traction control. I really am pleased that I bought the thing.

I know what you mean about having the larger diameter wheels . . .. 8)

A pic taken at Rocky Neck State Park . . . about a 20 minute ride to the exit off I-95.
100_5907a.jpg
I made my own compartment divider out of some plastic material I had. It keeps things from rolling down into the "abyss".
100_5937a.jpg
FWIW the windscreen had two manual adjustments. I just left mine stock from the way it came form the dealer and it's served me well. :geek:

A bit lengthy, and long in the tooth, this video review was one of the ones I watched that really helped clarify some of the features and characteristics pertaining to the X-Max for me. The rider did a proper job IMHO and admitted right off that his niche was motorcycle reviews. So his experience was a lot of "first impression" . . .. :geek:

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I love the XMAX. I'm just waiting for a deal on a used one. My PCX needs a sibling.
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Curious as to why you keep track of how many times you fill up the scooter?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

vito wrote:Curious as to why you keep track of how many times you fill up the scooter?
I like to keep track of cost of ownership and fuel efficiency.
ImageImage