Installed aftermarket Keyless ignition. Result, not bad.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Installed aftermarket Keyless ignition. Result, not bad.

Post by Gil »

I always wanted keyless ignition on my PCX like what Honda offers in other markets. Some months back an aftermarket kit was posted on ebay and Aliexpress. After some online search, I found that it's a common upgrade for people in Vietnam and other Asian countries. In Vietnam they do have an aftermarket wiring kit to use with the OEM Keyless hardware. This is something else, it's an all in one kit with no other parts required.

I ended up paying $128 USD for black kit from ebay. Not cheap, but also not overly expensive for its convenience features.
https://ebay.us/yjhRt0 The seller has a bit of a language barrier, but they are very motivated to sell their items. I would recommend them. I requested a black unit if it was available, but in the messaging back and forth they told me that they only had the black units. I was like OK??, regardless I got the black unit that I wanted.

The install would of been easier If I had the newer PCX with LED headlights. The kit I got was designed for those newer models. Which made my install a little more difficult. On the newer PCX it would just entail removing the old ignition lock, sand the mounting surface on the corresponding part of the frame where the ignition lock mounts too. Plug in the PCXs stock wiring plug into the ignition unit and wire in the left and right turn signal wires and done. Unfortunately My PCX is the older model 2013 USA spec.

The install onto my 2013 PCX required the use of the stock pigtail that comes out of the stock ignition lock. I desoldered it from the lock and soldered it onto a short changeable adapter harness that comes with the kit. It's kind of odd, but two wires that go from the New ignition lock to it's control unit, have a small removable harness that have different pinouts. My PCX only has two wires going to the ignition lock, the newer PCX models have a bigger socket with upto 4 pins on it. One of those wires come from the battery and the other one goes to the main relay and powers some components on the engine directly. The keyless unit gets its ground wire connection through the chassis, that's why the frames mating surface has to be sanded a bit. Hope this was clear.

The other issue was the plastic panels that fit against the ignition lock. In short it sticks out a bit too far. This is due to it being designed for the Newer PCX that has different plastic panels. On my PCX there are two plastic panels that fit on top of each other and over the ignition lock. So far I have only dremeled a bigger hole for the big plastic panel, but the smaller one will need a more careful trimming to make it fit a neat as possible. If that doesn't work, I'll have to design a 3D print to make it look neat.

Hope my description was clear, I didn't take any pictures on the install. Any questions or doubts, let me know.
Attachments
Keyless.JPG
Keyless.JPG (87.33 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
I bought the 501 unit, the 503 would of been a plug and play for my scooter.
I bought the 501 unit, the 503 would of been a plug and play for my scooter.
IMG_20200517_154253.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
How to use, hard to understand.
How to use, hard to understand.
IMG_20200517_154231.jpg (175.62 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Instruction manual
Instruction manual
IMG_20200517_154314.jpg (130.91 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Re: Installed aftermarket Keyless ignition. Result, not bad.

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I guess it's a curiousity/fun project. i don't see a practical use of this over using a key, at least in my riding conditions. I don't start it in the bitter cold and don't leave the bike in high crime neighborhoods, and I am not getting on and off all the time doing delivieries.

But, if you are happy, that's all that matters.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I finally dremeled the plastic that goes over the ignition lock. My dremel grinding skills sure need some improvement, but it came out ok. I should of taken my time with the dremel. The bottom part of the plastic I used too high of speed and too slow of a pass on the plastic, to an extent that I cut into the plastic instead of shaving. I'll just leave it as it is.
Attachments
IMG_20200520_185326.jpg
IMG_20200520_185326.jpg (167.08 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I contacted the eBay seller and they have an Ali express shop with cheaper price than what I payed.
119$ plus free shipping, for those interested.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000878 ... d696caf715
ImageImage
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Nice project.. For me however I would definitely prefer mechanical over electrical. Electrical can be funny and fail at a very inconvenient time . I think more variables for trouble with an electronic device than a simple key mechanically driven lock, and keys don't require batteries.. As stated to each is own and certainly an interesting DIY project..good luck.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Thanks for the "good luck" and "if you are happy" comments. I wanted key-less as a luxury accessory. Now while the simplicity and reliability of a mechanical key can't be denied, this post wasn't to argue for or against the electronic ignition. I simply wanted to share that I installed a key-less system into my scooter and show that it worked. Specially for those that have been interested in key-less ignition. This one is a good aftermarket option.
ImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Gil wrote:I finally dremeled the plastic that goes over the ignition lock. My dremel grinding skills sure need some improvement, but it came out ok. I should of taken my time with the dremel. The bottom part of the plastic I used too high of speed and too slow of a pass on the plastic, to an extent that I cut into the plastic instead of shaving. I'll just leave it as it is.
A quick run around with black silicon sealant should sort the gap no problems.

Remove the marking out lines first though :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

you you's idea with the black sealant sounds good. It would be a "surface" fix and you could blend as needed.

The only other thing I can think of is something like this . . ..

Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

I have been wanting to do this for a while now. Does the ring around the toggle light up too?

Thanks for sharing Gil. Wonder if the install will be more simple on my LED PCX
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Conelite wrote:I have been wanting to do this for a while now. Does the ring around the toggle light up too?

Thanks for sharing Gil. Wonder if the install will be more simple on my LED PCX
It does light up, but only the bottom half lights up blue. There is only one LED for the blue ring light. You can see it light up on the last picture. It will definitely be a bolt on and plug in affair with your LED PCX.
ImageImage
malxerr
Year: 2020
Color: Black

Post by malxerr »

Hi Gil,
I purchased this unit and about to install on my PCX(2019). My only concern is what happens if the battery is flat? How would I open up the seat if no power is in the unit? Any suggestion please?
Malc
RF3
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by RF3 »

Any long term review? Still working as it should? Thank you!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

malxerr wrote:Hi Gil,
I purchased this unit and about to install on my PCX(2019). My only concern is what happens if the battery is flat? How would I open up the seat if no power is in the unit? Any suggestion please?
Malc
Funny you asked about this. If the scooter isn't riden the unit will drain the battery in a bit more than a month. Because covid, I haven't rident it that often and the battery has died on me twice already. What I had to do was to remove the plastic cover around the keyless ignition unit in order to reach the seat cable to unlock the seat. I have been meaning to add a trickle charger cable so that the battery wouldn't die, but have been lagging on it. The unit still works great even though I leave my scooter outside. I just tried to unlock it from inside the house and no noise, so I'll have to take the panel off again in order to charge the battery. Will update.
ImageImage
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Oh man there are other options now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 5613%23492
ImageImage
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Here are some pics on what has to be removed to access the battery.
Attachments
Use screwdriver to push on the seat lock cable.
Use screwdriver to push on the seat lock cable.
PXL_20201129_224531809 (2)_LI.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2076 times
Philips screwdriver and a 10 millimeter wrench to open up the panels.
Philips screwdriver and a 10 millimeter wrench to open up the panels.
PXL_20201129_224517821 (2).jpg (274.08 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
ImageImage