Near miss and horn test

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Near miss and horn test

Post by honkerman »

So it seems all the idiots have emerged since some of the lockdown is relaxing a bit. Got real rattled by a near miss today. It's the first one I've gotten on camera in quite a while. My new horn works...but she didn't care. I also talk a little about other idiocy as well. If you just want to see the near miss it is a bit after the 4:49 timestamp I think.

Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Near miss and horn test

Post by fish »

Parking lots are hazardous when in a car - and absolutely miserable places if on two wheels.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

fish wrote:Parking lots are hazardous when in a car - and absolutely miserable places if on two wheels.
Fish
x10 … Couldn't be emphasized enough!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We are noticing a big increase in the "I don't care who is in my way. Get out of my way or get run over!" types of drivers, now that the lockdown is being relaxed a little. Who would have thought that opening the haircut studios, massage parlors, and tattoo shops would cause traffic jams!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Either total ignorance or the pillar between the windshield and passenger side door window blocked you out of view.

That said I've noticed a lot more people rolling through stop signs as well . . ..

Be safe out there!
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

fish wrote:Parking lots are hazardous when in a car - and absolutely miserable places if on two wheels.
Fish
Truer words are rarely spoken. I always leave my LED markers on when I park my scooter in a lot because people have tried to park on top of it. Then there are the close calls like this one.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:We are noticing a big increase in the "I don't care who is in my way. Get out of my way or get run over!" types of drivers, now that the lockdown is being relaxed a little. Who would have thought that opening the haircut studios, massage parlors, and tattoo shops would cause traffic jams!
The vid I am presently editing (which I filmed prior to my near miss), has some mention of this. Perhaps it's just that people are out of practice and all the time away from driving has left them less alert to the dangers behind the wheel? regardless of the reason, I've seen more bad driving in the last two weeks than I have for quite a while before that.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Old Grinner wrote:Either total ignorance or the pillar between the windshield and passenger side door window blocked you out of view.

That said I've noticed a lot more people rolling through stop signs as well . . ..

Be safe out there!
Total ignorance is going to have to be the case, since she didn't respond at all to my horn or the blapping of the pipes just a bit earlier when I first saw her, and it seems she just didn't care (could have been deaf I suppose, hence the Helen Keller reference, but usually deaf people are more visually alert to compensate for the absence of hearing). I could see the entirety of her head, including where her eyes would be had she even looked my way, so out of her line of sight isn't a possibility. I know it's not as obvious from the video because of the way the lens distorts things.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Total ignorance is going to have to be the case, since she didn't respond at all to my horn or the blapping of the pipes just a bit earlier when I first saw her, and it seems she just didn't care (could have been deaf I suppose, hence the Helen Keller reference, but usually deaf people are more visually alert to compensate for the absence of hearing). I could see the entirety of her head, including where her eyes would be had she even looked my way, so out of her line of sight isn't a possibility. I know it's not as obvious from the video because of the way the lens distorts things.
The individual may have been under the influence . . ..

I can't remember the exact ratio but if you combine the numbers of people on opioids, alcohol, weed, cocaine (speed), suffering dementia, texting or talking on a phone, running late for something, and are visually impaired (for whatever reason) it adds up to a lot of effed up people out there behind the wheel who shouldn't be. About 30 people die a day in the U.S. due to alcohol related accidents (one person every 50 minutes).

Knowing that . . . I doubt anyone running for President would get elected who said the National speed limit will be permanently reduced to 30 MPH on all highways and less as determined by local authorities for other roads. But it would perhaps save a lot of lives . . . don't you think? And right now saving lives from COVID-19 is a big priority. I guess the concept of "saving lives" is multifaceted. :?

But then again is 30 MPH that big of a deal? It could prove to be a bit embarrassing to be outpaced by a critter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our subdivision, as well as most other residential areas, has a 25 mph speed limit. Keeping that in mind, how many times do you suppose the police hand out tickets for speeding through those areas at 10 to 20 mph over that? That is a great way to get revenue. Heck, people have been run over in those areas! No amount of speed reduction will make a difference to some people. I guess they don't have family members out walking in the evenings.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Our subdivision, as well as most other residential areas, has a 25 mph speed limit. Keeping that in mind, how many times do you suppose the police hand out tickets for speeding through those areas at 10 to 20 mph over that? That is a great way to get revenue. Heck, people have been run over in those areas! No amount of speed reduction will make a difference to some people. I guess they don't have family members out walking in the evenings.
I feel sorry for those who have suffered from people who could have/should have made better decisions before and while they were behind the wheel.

I guess having vehicles of all types limited to 30 MPH would be the only solution. That way nobody expects anyone to go faster unless they've done some kind of mod and that would be considered an infraction right out of the chute.

That means that mass transit, trains, plains, and boats, would be more useful under those circumstances and at the end of the day a lot of lives would be saved.

We as a species are still going through a metamorphosis.

Bottom line is since we've been going through these COViD restrictions the air has been a lot cleaner and atmospheric conditions witnessed from space have gone in the right direction. :geek:

More scooters equals cleaner air! :D

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

honkerman wrote:So it seems all the idiots have emerged since some of the lockdown is relaxing a bit. Got real rattled by a near miss today. It's the first one I've gotten on camera in quite a while. My new horn works...but she didn't care. I also talk a little about other idiocy as well. If you just want to see the near miss it is a bit after the 4:49 timestamp I think.

Nothing unusual about this situation.

It seems that you expect drivers to give you right of way.

This expectation often turns deadly.

Don't! Your life and your safety is in your hands and brakes.

Remember, you are invisible, not an entitled driver that others bow to and will always let you through like a fire truck (even those get unnoticed and slow down at every intersection).

Serious, brother, change the attitude. Don't trust the drivers, assume they are all drunk, kids, elderly, pre-occupied, distracted, etc. It's in your best interest to assume so and it's not far from being completely accurate.

Ride safe!
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
honkerman wrote:So it seems all the idiots have emerged since some of the lockdown is relaxing a bit. Got real rattled by a near miss today. It's the first one I've gotten on camera in quite a while. My new horn works...but she didn't care. I also talk a little about other idiocy as well. If you just want to see the near miss it is a bit after the 4:49 timestamp I think.

Nothing unusual about this situation.

It seems that you expect drivers to give you right of way.

This expectation often turns deadly.

Don't! Your life and your safety is in your hands and brakes.

Remember, you are invisible, not an entitled driver that others bow to and will always let you through like a fire truck (even those get unnoticed and slow down at every intersection).

Serious, brother, change the attitude. Don't trust the drivers, assume they are all drunk, kids, elderly, pre-occupied, distracted, etc. It's in your best interest to assume so and it's not far from being completely accurate.

Ride safe!
Do you always make asinine assumptions about others and assume you are an expert?

I'm familiar with the invisibility thing. if you watch the vid, you'll notice I swerved well before she even entered my lane since I saw she wasn't looking. I was in little danger of hitting her because I had already been looking for my own safety.

Do I expect others to follow the rules of the road and exercise safety? No. Does it make it right when they do not? also no.

Never assume you are the smartest guy in the room.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube