Miles Per Tank?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dank_nipples
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Miles Per Tank?

Post by dank_nipples »

How many miles do you guys get per tank on your Forza 300, and is your gauge accurate? I was riding to pick something up for my dad today after work and I looked down and my gas gauge was pegged on E as low as it could go. I keep track of my mileage with the trip odometer and I was only around 138 miles on the tank and my dash said I was getting around 62 MPG average so I knew there had to be quite a bit of gas left in it if the tank was 3 gallons. The first half of the gauge lasted like 100 miles and the last half was down to E in about 40 miles or so. This is consistent with my mid 80s Honda CH125 and CH250 gauges but figured the Forza would be more accurate. When I filled it up it took 2.1 gallons which would be about on par with a 3 gallon tank and 62 MPG it said on my dash but I’m curious why the gauge was pegged on E when I actually had about 1/3 of the tank left in there? Is this consistent with everyone else’s Forza or is there a problem with my float or something?
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Re: Miles Per Tank?

Post by davenowherejones »

Normal. The fuel gauge does not move for the first 100 km, the next 100 km gets it to empty and you have 100 km left to find more fuel. Flawed in my opinion.

It also depends how you ride. The variation is quite a bit.

Highway mpg is worse than city mpg.

200 mile tank on a good day, 150 mile tank on a bad day. Substantially better than my V8 4x4.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Normal. The fuel gauge does not move for the first 100 km, the next 100 km gets it to empty and you have 100 km left to find more fuel. Flawed in my opinion.

It also depends how you ride. The variation is quite a bit.

Highway mpg is worse than city mpg.

200 mile tank on a good day, 150 mile tank on a bad day. Substantially better than my V8 4x4.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The analogue gauge on the dash is only there as an ornament.
Pointless looking at it.
The economy meter is absolutely spot-on though.
My commute to work is a 56 mile round trip done mostly between 65-75mph.
The Forza was always good for three days (168 miles) per tank no matter how hard I rode it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

+1 on previous posts, I think Honda should have done a better adjustment on the gauge. But I always reset my Trip A after filling up the tank to the full, then just go by average fuel economy km/l multiplied by 10 liter and compare it with Trip A. After that start looking for gas station as it means I have 1.5 liters left....
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I'm in the UK and I just roughly multiply the imperial MPG figure by 2.5 to get the tank range, which is more accurate than the fuel gauge. I find the fuel gauge is accurate to halfway and then it becomes totally inaccurate and drops like a stone, showing empty at about 135 miles when the range is really about 180 miles.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I do the same as Austins (x10) but I also pay attention to where I am and where I want to go. It can be a long way between fuel stations in Canada. 200 km between some stations.

I also have to allow for the fact I may not be able to get to my next fuel stop. Landslides, accidents, police incidents, forest fires, detours mean I may have to turn around after 95% of my fuel run and return to where I started. So only half the tank is usable in that situation.

I had to plead with the Lytton RCMP to let me through a crime scene as I did not have enough gas to do their 100 km detour to Merritt. Hey the lady was dead anyway so it really didn't matter.
M0T0Geezer
Year: 2015 FORZA 300
Color: RED

Post by M0T0Geezer »

If you're going to be travelling outside of your normal urban destinations, it is cheap insurance to bungee on an extra 1 gallon tank of extra fuel. Especially true in southwest USA and Canada.

You can see the extra 2-gallon tank I fitted to my 400cc Majesty on a 2011 tour through four southwestern states:

https://dansher.com/bikepix/2011May/index.html

I had to use the extra fuel several times during that 2,300 mile tour.
2015 Forza 300
All My Motorcycles:
https://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm
Musicians: Some Songs For You:
https://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html
My Domain, Home Page:
https://www.dansher.com/
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I rode my Honda Forza 300 to Dawson City, Yukon last year.

I took a one gallon tank with me but it only had fuel in it for one section in the Yukon and even there I did not really need it.

I left it empty the rest of the time.

Know your bike and pay attention where you are going.

I got a little stuck a few years ago. I had plenty of fuel for my planned trip. I had not planned on the lady in front of me getting killed. I was 10 km from my next fuel stop but the RCMP said I had to detour 90 km which I could not do fuel wise. I made a nuisance of myself and they let me through the crime scene.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:I rode my Honda Forza 300 to Dawson City, Yukon last year.

I took a one gallon tank with me but it only had fuel in it for one section in the Yukon and even there I did not really need it.

I left it empty the rest of the time.

Know your bike and pay attention where you are going.

I got a little stuck a few years ago. I had plenty of fuel for my planned trip. I had not planned on the lady in front of me getting killed. I was 10 km from my next fuel stop but the RCMP said I had to detour 90 km which I could not do fuel wise. I made a nuisance of myself and they let me through the crime scene.

That’s twice now. You must be prime suspect
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

No, I just repeat myself a lot.