Errand Run Up Town

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Errand Run Up Town

Post by Old Grinner »

The migrating birds have pretty much returned to town and continue to compete with the squirrels for their share of seed. Today it was the "mixed bag". :lol:

I've got enough thistle seed for a while but the Goldfinches do a proper job of eating me out of house and home as that is their favorite. . .. o_O

Oink Oink as they say . . .. :D
100_6935a.jpg
A pic up town by the Fire Department and Memorial for the Veterans. The POW MIA flag is kind of hidden on the picture behind "Old Glory". It was windy.
100_6929a.jpg
Off in the distance to the right is "The Kate". A popular theater refurbished a few years ago in memory of the famous Kate Hepburn who once resided in town. For many years the building was the "Town Hall" but now that is located in the former Main Street School.
100_6931a.jpg
A southerly look down Main Street . . ..
100_6932a.jpg
Looking across the sea of flags towards the old "Main Street School" . . . now the "Town Hall" . . . on the 10th anniversary of 9/11/2001. To see it in person was an unforgettable experience.
100_1202ab.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Errand Run Up Town

Post by Mel46 »

Very nice pictures.

As for the birds, we feed ours as well, mostly sunflower seeds. I think they have become our dependents now.

If the feeders are empty the big woodpecker comes knocking. He will start at our bedroom window. Then he will move to our bathroom window. Finally he will move to our kitchen window. We call him Woodie, the mob boss. As soon as we finish filling the feeders he flies to one of them and starts "distributing" the food. The squirrels wait under it, as well as the littlest of the birds, chipmunks and other little creatures. It is kind of cute.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

We have two feeding stations for green lorikeets (native parrots) and usually get about 30 to 40 twice a day. We hand feed mincemeat to magpies, butcher birds, kurrawongs, native mynahs, and pigeons (flying rats). They all line up on our verandah and mostly wait their turn, based mainly on size. The magpies, kurrawongs and butcher birds all bring their young chicks along to introduce them to the free food once they can fly. We get taps on the window if we are too slow for their liking, and occasionally a magpie will come in the house and that really upsets our 15 year old house cat. We are told by some people not to feed them as it's not the right diet for them, but we have been doing it for 25 years and helped rear many generations of healthy birds.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

JohnL wrote:We have two feeding stations for green lorikeets (native parrots) and usually get about 30 to 40 twice a day. We hand feed mincemeat to magpies, butcher birds, kurrawongs, native mynahs, and pigeons (flying rats). They all line up on our verandah and mostly wait their turn, based mainly on size. The magpies, kurrawongs and butcher birds all bring their young chicks along to introduce them to the free food once they can fly. We get taps on the window if we are too slow for their liking, and occasionally a magpie will come in the house and that really upsets our 15 year old house cat. We are told by some people not to feed them as it's not the right diet for them, but we have been doing it for 25 years and helped rear many generations of healthy birds.
That's pretty cool!
My daughter loves to feed the lorikeets at the Columbus zoo. They have a large enclosure and the workers give the kids a little cup of something to feed them. Birds sit on the kid's hands (and shoulders and heads!) and drink from the cups. (hand cleaner stations at the entrance)
She still talks about the time one took a piece of her finger and gave it a little chew - so proud of herself (7 yrs old) for not throwing the bird across the room!
These birds are near the 'Roo enclosure....where several kinds are kept in an large walk-thru open space.

My wife stocks her back yard feeders so much I have to buy 50lb bags of bird seed at a time. So many birds back there - a large hawk comes by every so often to 'feed' as well.

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Oh no!
Another squirrel is coming to raid the feeder . . .. :o
100_6955a.jpg
Well . . . I guess when you gotta eat you gotta eat. Or, it's a squirrel with bad eye sight. :lol:
100_6958a.jpg
And the beat goes on . . . all together now! :D
100_6962a.jpg
And now for the next act . . . a couple of tall pines discussing "politics". :roll:
100_6968a.jpg
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Love them photos!! It's more than fun taking pictures. It's a challenge capturing the moment, the expression, etc. A great hobby!

Nature! I've been noticing some peculiar behavior going on with creatures of all species within my community and outside of it. They're having a free for all whilst the bigger creatures "US" stay indoors. Not what you would call "Animal Farm" status but but....could it happen?? Stop the nonsense WN!

Alright But I got something for ya. Wait till I come back with a pic or two taken the past few days. You'll SEE what I mean. We're losing control humans!! Haha, never had it to begin with. So get over that! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Pics taken Friday. In all my years I've never seen this:
Attachments
Dove nest 4.jpeg
Dove nest 4.jpeg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Dove nest 3.jpg
Dove nest 3.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Dove nest 2.jpeg
Dove nest 2.jpeg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Dove nest 1.jpeg
Dove nest 1.jpeg (94.71 KiB) Viewed 966 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

It took 3-4 days for a pair of Morning Doves to build a nest on that sun heated Subaru roof. The owner of the vehicle hadn't moved his car in days. So the Dove sat till she gave birth to one egg.
The next day (Sat) the owner finally came out, walked to his car, got in, backed out of space when I finally caught up with him. I laughed and said, "there's a nest on yer roof with a dove sitting atop it!" He pulled over put it in park, got out and then stood there with his mouth open. Said he didn't even notice the nest or Her in it! He got back in, backed up
and then parked in his driveway (the Dove didn't budge)....until he got his step ladder. Off she flew right into his tree. She Watched, then flew overhead, landed, repeat. As he brought the nest to a nearby bush the egg dropped out and broke. It was a sad sight. My neighbor (still feeling bad) got back in his car to run his errand. The Dove? Well....She proceeded to rebuild on the car that was parked right next to his in the parking lot.
Today it rained all day. No sign of the Doves. Perhaps they drove off
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

WN - One of the best posts I've ever seen here . . .. :D

Mourning Doves have always been a scarce but welcome member of the community where I live as well.

You can clearly identify them by their Ooooooo OOoooooo sounds . . . especially in the mornings.

Sadly a noble effort to relocate the nest and egg did not come to fruition. But clearly only the best intentions were there.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

My feeder , my buddy everyday.
cardinal home.jpg
cardinal home.jpg (397.72 KiB) Viewed 945 times