Keep Your Focus

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Keep Your Focus

Post by Old Grinner »

I'm not one to give advice . . . but . . ..

During these trying times most people have their minds wrapped up with all the "goings on" and dismal news reports about COVID-19 and it's ongoing impact.

Think of the brain as a computer with storage and RAM (Random Access Memory) capacity.

When you have a lot to think about it's possible to lose focus on the task at hand.

You don't need me to tell you that . . ..

I want, I need, I must have . . . followed by all the internal struggle to identify supply, resources, and access to employment (to mention a few) are fuel for thoughts in "real time" every day now. More for some . . . less for others . . . depending.

So when riding it's important to focus on the task at hand and "keep your eye on the ball" so-to-speak. One of the great joys of riding is being able to free your mind for a while from the day-to-day content and by keeping your attention on the road (and everything that goes along with it) you can put your troubles aside. :D

Remember . . . "Keep your eye on the ball" . . . maintain focus and control of your machine. Live to ride another day.

You don't want to end the journey prematurely . . . things are already bad enough. Better to stick around to see what happens next! ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Keep Your Focus

Post by WhiteNoise »

Excellent thread/post. Thank you OldG for reminding All of Us ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Excellent thread/post. Thank you OldG for reminding All of Us ;)
Your welcome.

I noticed on my daily ride today that there were a ton of people out walking around, dog walking, riding bicycles, and jogging. In fact, the most I've ever seen in my life around here and it's not even Summer yet. Lot's of people trying to find some relief doing simple stuff I guess.

BTW I took that photo in Brooklyn, NY at the famous Green-Wood Cemetery about five years ago while touring around. Ever heard of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team? Ebbets Field?

That's the final resting place of Charles Ebbets himself and his last wife he married only a couple of years before he passed on in 1925. :geek:
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Agree about the bicycles. UM and I did an 11 mile bicycle ride this morning. Some good trails around where we live. We have bikes with electric assist, for when you get tired - sure helps these old legs on hills! Lots of folks on the trails. Did scooter rides along the beach road a couple of days ago. We are self quarantining when not doing these things - well technically we also are when we are doing these things, 'cause we don't get anywhere near other folks!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We thought about taking our bicycles out yesterday but my scooter keeps calling me, and it yells louder than the bicycle. :roll:

We do walk our dogs a LOT, though. A couple of days ago we were walking our dogs and one of them tripped my wife. Down on the pavement she went. She landed on the same shoulder that was broken in the accident in 2015. I hope nothing is wrong with it. That is a $75,000 shoulder. So far the dogs have been the reason for her breaking her wrist, her ankle, and some other part...I can't remember which. Same dog, different times, different breaks.

A little history on this particular dog is in order. These are Jack Russell Terriers that we have, so they are small. The one we call Pepper was a breeder dump, and she was turned loose at another breeder's farm and allowed to run around on her own. She was left outside in the rain and thunderstorms so she is extremely afraid of thunder. If she hears even the backfire of a car she will stop suddenly and reverse direction, which usually ends with her lead wrapping around my wife's ankles.

When the farm owner finally contacted us to see if we wanted her, we drove across 3 states to get her. Her health was so bad that our vet was worried about her surviving the necessary surgery and teeth extractions. We had to nurse her back to health, but now she is a beautiful, happy little dog... still afraid of thunderstorms and firecrackers, but otherwise she is very happy, and she loves everyone, but especially her mommy (my wife).

Here is Pepper! :D
Pepper.jpg
Pepper.jpg (218.73 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks for the Good perspective ..........Old G. Interesting story about the Ebbets.
See plenty of folks/families out and about, when riding...........Good result during this "distancing"
Hope your wife is doing OK Mel. My Mitzi [JRT] is always under foot with me. Lotta close calls....
So far ,no serious falls. She'll be 18 in July. Still gives 100% when she can. Stay safe.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Dang. Already sold my Forzus.
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Here is Pepper! :D
That dog could tell stories!

He's an Ol' Timer for sure . . ..

It would be great if we heard more "good news" stories, like your animal rescue, in the media than the usual sensationalism and click bate.

BTW "he knows" you are taking the picture. :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This morning I left early to get some groceries.

I needed to get some cheese and I noticed an old guy parked by his carriage fiddling with his phone in the proximity where I needed to get access but I had room to browse. No "Excuse me please" required.

So they didn't have what I usually get in stock so I was looking for a suitable substitute. Maybe it took me half a minute. . .. :roll:

All of a sudden I feel his carriage bang into me full on while I'm reaching for the Extra Sharp Cheddar. o_O

I looked up and see the guy holding onto his phone and continuing on his way with barely a "sorry". He didn't even say "Are you OK?".

So I remarked "Phone eh? . . . Don't do that on the road". He angrily replied "I DON'T".

I hope he was sincere . . .. I overlooked his attitude. Just figured he was a "Grumpy Old Man" . . . an ignorant Grumpy Old Man.

Moral to the story . . . "Watch out for distracted drivers in grocery aisles". :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Please be careful out there. There will be times when the older adults will be out in force, trying to get their shopping done, or picking up medications. Some of them should not be driving but have no one else to help them.

I went riding recently and was almost run over by a little old lady who looked totally confused that someone was in her lane...even though her lane seemed to encompass both sides of the street. She had me penned against the curb on the opposite side of the street from the direction she was going! In fact, I was stopped dead trying to figure out what she was doing! I ended up pushing my bike backwards and going around her as she sat in her car with her left front tire against the left curb. (Keep in mind that we drive on the right side of the road in the United States.) Luckily, she had made it to the entrance of a shopping center, and the roads were clear. I have no idea if she figured out how to back up and pulled into the shopping center. I wasn't about to try to guide her in. I just wanted to get far away from her.

The point is, some of the services for old folks may not be available now, so you may see them driving for the first time in many many years because they have no other choice. Try to give them plenty of room. Being bumped by a shopping cart is nothing compared to being run over by a confused old person in a car.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The point is, some of the services for old folks may not be available now, so you may see them driving for the first time in many many years because they have no other choice. Try to give them plenty of room. Being bumped by a shopping cart is nothing compared to being run over by a confused old person in a car.
Quite a story there Mel about the lady giving you the squeeze in traffic. Sad really . . . but fortunately you are still here to tell us about it.

Your point is well made about the desperate measures some elderly may have to take to get around or gather supplies when no assisted living services are available.

Sounds like a good time to double down on safety and not discount any possible scenarios on the roads these days . . ..

BTW hope your wife's shoulder is doing OK.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My wife tells me that her shoulder still hurts but is getting better, so hopefully she only bruised it, like she did with her elbow on that same arm. It is really scary to take a tumble these days. Unlike the young, we are more fragile and small tumbles could mean big problems for older adults.

I think our area just got the "shelter in place" request, so things are not going to get better for the elderly. That is one reason that we try to check on the older adults in our neighborhood before we go to the store. I know that I am right in the middle of the most vulnerable part of the populace, but I am still quite mobile as opposed to others in my age group. Most of the neighbors don't know that I have leukemia (so why should I tell them?), and I am not going to let it slow me down, especially when there are others who seem to be sicker than I am.

As for Pepper, she is doing fine. There was a thunderstorm last night, so she spent much of the night in her travel crate...trying to dig a hole under it to get away from the noise. Still, she seems fine right now...now that the storm has passed.

My sister lives in Dallas, Texas and her son called me last night to tell me that she is in the hospital. They don't know if it is pneumonia or the dreaded virus that shall not be named. They put her in that ward anyway. Better safe than sorry. That worries me, but her health is bad anyway, so just about anything could put her in the hospital. I just hope that it isn't THAT.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150