First warranty claim, condensation in dash

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

First warranty claim, condensation in dash

Post by cnikonpete »

Took my 2018 PCX 125 to dealer today to check out the condensation in my speedo, no hassles, took a photo, noted mileage, not concerned about lack of 2nd service (did it myself). Sending claim off to Honda for complete new speedo/dash. Amazed!
Can’t work out where condensation is coming from though, definitely not water ingress, seems to build up when riding in cold weather (UK 7-8 degrees centigrade).
Looks like haze at first, then actual droplets of water after ride.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Re: First warranty claim, condensation in dash

Post by Yorkie150 »

I have a July 2018 125 PCX and noted the same issue last month....The bike only has now 495miles on the odometer and is never ridden in wet and is kept in a heated garage. I took it for first service last month when weather was cold and foggy.. Riding away from Honda dealer and noticed the clocks were steamed up..Straight back to dealer who witnessed the problem..Unable to fix there and then - need the ok from Honda....Booked in for next week for replacement battery and speedo housing all covered under warranty.

I am a member of a couple of PCX owners social media groups in the UK and have noted that there are quite a number of 2018/19 125 PCX having the same problem.....Sounds like a manufacturing / batch problem ??
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

My old type analog fuel gauge on my 1998 Suzuki Bandit occasionally fogs up a bit under cooler/humid conditions, especially at night, but it goes away. This pic was taken when the bike was fairly new.
Capei.JPG
The newer PCX gauges being LCD/Digital are a whole different smoke . . ..

Good thinking to bring it back to the Honda dealer on short order.

Sorry to hear about that problem. Sounds like your Honda dealers are being helpful. Maybe a recall will ensue if enough people complain.

FWIW I never experienced that on my 2017 PCX 150 so maybe it's something that occurs on just the newer models.

Makes me wonder if it's a venting issue . . .. :roll:
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by NADman »

My old type analog fuel gauge on my 1998 Suzuki Bandit occasionally fogs up a bit under cooler/humid conditions, especially at night, but it goes away.

Is it possible the incandescent backlight bulbs threw off a bit heat to dry it? No heat from LED's.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

I will update as soon as I hear from the dealer, I tried an incandescent bulb balanced on the front fork for a couple of hours (whilst stationery I hasten to add), just to see if a small amount of heat would make a difference. It seemed to keep the condensation build up at bay when I rode the bike for longer than normal, but then it came back .
I thought condensation was caused by warmth one side and cold the other, theoretically the inside of the dash shouldn’t have any heat, (leds), but I am just confusing myself!!
The only thing I can come up with, is that moist air is being forced up past the forks and finding its way into the speedo.
Is there a condensation scientist in the house ?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

phone call yesterday from Honda Dealer....They advised that Honda have authorised a replacement battery ( idle stop issues resolved !! ) and the replacement of a ''speedo cover''. which will solve the steaming up /condensation problem. I queried this as I assumed that the speedo unit was sealed but apparently not ....So I presume its just the clear perspex cover....I will update once repairs have been completed..
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Hmmm, my dealer said Honda might do that, (just the cover), his thoughts were that it wouldn’t fix it, but hey ho.
How long did it take from diagnosis to decision?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I took the scoot in for her first service and riding away the clock steamed up...so I spun around and went back - the mech who did the service was still about so I showed him..and he took pics of the condensation...It happened two other days so each time I sent pics to the dealer...THEN I dislocated my shoulder moving one of my other bikes around in my workshop...so haven't been able to ride until this week..So I can only assume that the dealer has been in contact with Honda over the last couple of weeks to decide the course of action...
The dealer I use is PADGETTS Honda of batley West Yorkshire - never had any issues with them in the past so hopefully they will see me right. I suppose like all dealers their hands are tied when it comes to warranty work and what Honda will authorise in order that they get paid?

One design fault I have noticed on the PCX is that when I wash it - water holds on the speedo cover/surround for quite some time before draining away down the slight gap between the perspex and the black trim...I wonder if water is getting into the clocks via the seal around the perspex or the SET / SELECT buttons ?

I bet that Honda are aware of a manufacturing fault and will try to make it as cheap as possible to repair
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I found an image of a 2018/19 speedo on eBay which shows that it has a removable perspex front cover...Also note that the entire fitment looks like it can be split - see pic of reverse

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183923993158
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

I agree regarding water staying on the lower portion of the screen, I only ride in the rain if the weather forecast is wrong!
I initially thought that was the problem, but recently the condensation only appears after riding in cold dry conditions, nothing to do with water ingress. I don’t allow any water near the dash when washing the bike, so don’t have a clue what’s causing it.
The bike is kept covered with a top quality cover in a granite outhouse, I’m thinking the damp atmosphere caused by the brilliant weather we’ve had might be a factor, but really believe it shouldn’t happen.
We will see.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I keep mine in a heated workshop .... the heating is on at the moment 24hrs a day (my man cave ). I’m going for a spin out today and it’s cold so will see if it steams up
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

How did your test ride go? Still waiting to hear from dealer, but I suppose everything is up in the air at the moment.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I went for a 58 mile ride yesterday . All clear until I stopped at mile 35 . Clock started to
Steam up from the bottom just above the pcx symbol then by the time I got home it had cleared.

Dealers Monday
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

new battery and speedo screen fitted this morning - prior to the UK ''lockdown''........Idle/stop works great now and no steaming up ...so far.

Long job as dealer had to dismantle the front of the bike to get at the speedo...then after refitting the set/select buttons wouldn't depress so had to be dismantled again....after re-build the screen was loose on one side...so dismantle and refit....I suspect that a fastener had either broken or not engaged properly...but all seems ok now....So back home, wash down/sanitsise and back into storage for the foreseeable future
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

new battery and speedo screen fitted this morning - prior to the UK ''lockdown''........Idle/stop works great now and no steaming up ...so far.
So far so good then eh?

Over one hurdle and on to the next. :roll:

I saw your PM Mr. Johnson on the news announcing the new "lockdown". o_O
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Was there anything obviously wrong with the original screen? No news from my dealer as yet, only been a week, and there’s quite a bit going on at the moment!
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

They didn’t show me it . When I raised the issue and reported that I heard of many owners of the same model year bike they just shrugged their shoulders

I think that Honda are aware of a problem but probably don’t want to admit it as yet ... probably end up as a recall ??
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Just heard from my dealer, (who is still locked down) that Honda have approved warranty claim, apparently for the whole speedometer assembly, they will let me know when the part arrives and can be fitted.
Strange if it is the whole assembly, not that I’m complaining, really just want to ride and escape for an hour, but others having a really tough time, very lucky to still be well.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I took mine to Padgetts Honda in West Yorkshire . They told me that HONDA would only authorise a new speedo screen/cover. Interesting that your dealer has been give the go ahead for an entire speedo until ...can you PM details of the dealer as Im not convinced that a replacement screen will sort out the problem and my warranty runs out in July this year ..
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

I would if I knew how to pm!! Just as an aside I bought mine in July 2018 from Damerells in Cornwall!!