Empty Shelves

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Empty Shelves

Post by Old Grinner »

What they are saying on TV about the panic in the streets to buy up stuff at the grocery stores is a fact!!! :o

I couldn't believe it. o_O

At a large grocery chain store near me, one whole side of one whole isle that usually has the paper towels, tissues, toilet paper, and related stuff was totally sold out and empty. :?

About half of the canned goods, canned veggies, pasta, pasta sauce, canned fish, and the like were sold out.

Meat was pretty well picked over. :(

Cleaning products, soaps, shampoos and stuff were pretty much gone. o_O

That said there was plenty of sugar crap, candy, deserts, ice cream, cakes, and cookies. Frozen TV dinners seemed to be in good supply also. :D

Cheese was quite picked over . . .. :|

Bread, peanut butter, and muffin type stuff was about half to three quarters gone. Plenty of jelly and jam though. :?

People were on a mission it seemed. Not just the usual grocery shopping excursion. Lists had to be checked and items stowed in the wagons.

You'd think a hurricane was coming and it was Florida. That said Disney is shutting down for a while now too.

I couldn't help but think of some of those 1950's "B" movies about fear and panic and a monster or aliens. Steve McQueen in the "Blob" was a good one too. 8)

Not sure if it's like this all over the U.S. but it wouldn't surprise me . . .. :?

Please watch your step leaving and have a nice day! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Re: Empty Shelves

Post by Limey »

Same here. Dumb people! Talk about 'knee jerk reaction'

The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!!! :( :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Imagine there's a nasty virus with no known cure heading your way.
Ask yourself what supplies you'll need....?
If the answer is bullets, your country is fucked.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/c ... ales-spike
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

magine there's a nasty virus with no known cure heading your way.
Ask yourself what supplies you'll need....?
If the answer is bullets, your country is fucked.
That's extreme. I hadn't heard about that yet. o_O

I can understand food supplies and whisky . . . for medicinal purposes of course. :D

Some comedy from yore before any of this COVID-19 thing ever existed.

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I love Bill Burr. Hit bit was right about just being as healthy as you can. But, people are over reacting. There is no need to rush the grocery stores, they aren't going to close them. The strategy right now is to slow down the spread of the virus so that our hospitals don't get overloaded.

All this hysteria falls on the heals of our elected leaders that haven't been honest with the American people and haven't given a clear direction of what are the best practices that people can follow. China was a clear example of what would happened if there was no action.

America is days behind what Italy is at right now. We as Americans can slow down the spread of the virus by doing the social isolation.

"According to several data scientists, Italy is about 10 days ahead of Spain, Germany, and France in the
epidemic progression, and 13 to 16 days ahead of the United Kingdom and the United States. That
means those countries have the opportunity to take measures that today may look excessive and
disproportionate, yet from the future, where I am now, are perfectly rational in order to avoid a health
care system collapse. The United States has some 45,000 ICU beds, and even in a moderate outbreak
scenario, some 200,000 Americans will need intensive care."
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/ ... at-we-did/

" France, Spain and Germany are about 9 to 10 days behind Italy in #COVID19 progression; the UK and the US follow at 13 to 16 days. In Italy we waited too long, these countries should really start implementing aggressive containment measures now."

https://twitter.com/SMerler/status/1237492257458204673

Just stay as healthy as you can and try to not spread the virus or to catch it. I guess it's a good time to go on a ride. Since one would be isolated from others.
Attachments
[url]https://twitter.com/SMerler/status/1237492257458204673[/url]
[url]https://twitter.com/SMerler/status/1237492257458204673[/url]
ESx0pkuXQAU-YK0.png (39.67 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, we have the same empty selves problems here. Yesterday we went to Target to drop off my prescriptions and we saw lines of buyers at checkouts with multiple huge packages of toilet rolls. You know the type...36 rolls that equal 72 regular rolls, or 36 rolls that equal 112 regular rolls. People fighting over the last 10 pack of something or other. Really!?
...and of course the shelves were empty again within 10 minutes of the shelves being restocked.
Once these patrons get their supplies they jump in their big SUVs and charge out of the parking lot like someone is chasing them. Pedestrians have to jump out of their way for fear of being run over.

You know what I love about all of this? ...The fact that this local area has bigger churches than most other areas. Yes, their dedication to Christian, Jewish, etc. values really shows. Go to church, pay some money for forgiveness, and then go out and run over people who get in your way at your neighborhood store.

Come on people. We are not in our final days of civilization. Help others. If you have 4 of those huge toilet paper packs, give one to someone who doesn't have any. Ask your neighbors if they need anything at the store. Remember what your parents and preachers hopefully taught you. They even teach those values in third world countries such as Washington D.C.!! :roll: :lol:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Come on people. We are not in our final days of civilization. Help others. If you have 4 of those huge toilet paper packs, give one to someone who doesn't have any. Ask your neighbors if they need anything at the store. Remember what your parents and preachers hopefully taught you. They even teach those values in third world countries such as Washington D.C.!! :roll: :lol:
Just stay as healthy as you can and try to not spread the virus or to catch it. I guess it's a good time to go on a ride. Since one would be isolated from others.
Great advice folks! :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Things flu off the shelves?
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Gil wrote: Just stay as healthy as you can and try to not spread the virus or to catch it. I guess it's a good time to go on a ride. Since one would be isolated from others.
Going for a ride, exactly what I did this afternoon -battle dress on and be outside for a change.

Only thing open here during weekend is pharmacy and shops that sell food.
For the rest no recreational activities (musea, swimming pool, theatre, cinema,...) untill 3th of april (untill further notice) - also no bars and restaurants.

Empty roads (well virtually empty compared to other days) was all there was to see. I must admit when I went to the shop this week I bought more then usual - not because of fear of running out of stuff - but I do not want to be in closed spaces with other people if not necessary for the coming time. I even do not buy online anymore as I have to open to door to receive the goods and perhaps give my signature on this device that god knows how many other people have handled...

From now on our front door remains closed - no family or friends come over for visit - we willingly quarantine ourselves for the sake of the general public health. I work at a university and all classes are now suspended, everything goes digitally, in our research labs only one person per room is allowed and working from home is encouraged. Only be in the lab if we need to perform experiments/measurements.

Stay safe everyone!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

On the plus side, my commute into work was great today. There was no traffic at all.

As usual, the situation is blown out of proportion by the news media. Coronavirus is a big deal, is dangerous for the sickly or elderly, but the world will keep turning and society will keep going.

I'm more concerned long-term about the ramifications of the Fed's additional quantitative easing and lower baseline interest rate. Those are going to shatter whatever is left of investor confidence in my opinion. I think the markets will tank more today as a result. I hope I'm wrong though.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Coronavirus is a big deal, is dangerous for the sickly or elderly
When the hospital system is overloaded with Covid-19 cases, its dangerous for everyone because there will be no spare capacity.
Everyone is at risk.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I guess asymptomatic people who've been tested "positive" for COVID-19 don't feel anything bad. A professional basketball player I saw interviewed on TV this morning said basically he could jump right into a game like nothing was wrong. He is recovering appropriately and staying on his own until he gets better.

It's important that the citizenry understand that people who don't feel sick, but have the virus, and haven't been tested, can unknowingly spread it to a lot of people for as long as they have it.

So the "social distancing" and closing of schools and bars and restaurants (and the like) is an important effort to hold the line against infection.

I have to say I've noticed more empty parking places in front of eating establishments and bars just in the last couple of days as I scoot around. :|
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We went out to eat yesterday and the facility still had a lot of patrons even though they told us that business was down. I would have preferred to ride my scooter over to there but it is still rainy season, so it was raining...still...again...as usual. Well, at least the grass is starting to turn green. Oh, and the snakes are coming out of their little hiding places. Saw two dead ones on our street yesterday... little garter snakes, but the copperheads are right behind them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

you are right maddie dog the markets are tanking
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Can you imagine if a world war started.. Geez.. In a months time people will be killing cows, horses, cats and dogs ..next people. People are arming themselves over possibly getting a severe cold.. Nuts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... spartandhp
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:On the plus side, my commute into work was great today. There was no traffic at all.

As usual, the situation is blown out of proportion by the news media. Coronavirus is a big deal, is dangerous for the sickly or elderly, but the world will keep turning and society will keep going.

I'm more concerned long-term about the ramifications of the Fed's additional quantitative easing and lower baseline interest rate. Those are going to shatter whatever is left of investor confidence in my opinion. I think the markets will tank more today as a result. I hope I'm wrong though.

You won’t be. Short term stupidity and frightened people call the shots in times like this.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:Coronavirus is a big deal, is dangerous for the sickly or elderly
When the hospital system is overloaded with Covid-19 cases, its dangerous for everyone because there will be no spare capacity.
Everyone is at risk.

See.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Everyone is at risk.

See.

Grammar is the first casualty.

:lol: :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It was a casualty a long time ago. Heck, I have heard that 'Ebonics' is going to be the next big thing in English classes. I also know that there are some high schools that are turning out graduates who can't read and write proper English. These same graduates get turned down for jobs because they don't "represent what the business wants as personnel who interact with the public."
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I heard on the news tonight that one of the major grocery store chains in my region, the one I usually shop at, has decided to set up special shopping hours for people over age 60.

Although early . . . 6:00AM to 7:30AM . . . it will give elderly a chance to shop in less crowded conditions.

I think it's a nice gesture of the store management and maybe in some way it will save lives for those most at risk during this perilous ordeal we are all going through.

I'll drink to that! :lol: