Windscreen Extension Mod

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Windscreen Extension Mod

Post by RobV »

Now I realize that some of you, who find the aesthetically unconventional indigestible, may think this looks weird but it works! I've only done a short trial run but the little wings cut out 90% of turbulent noise. You get clean air wind noise - like not having a faring, without the wind in the neck :-)
If nothing else it gives me something to play with on long runs. The extension I bought for $35 on ebay. The wings are made of 3mm perspex heated to 150 (Celsius) for 10 minutes then folded over the kitchen bench.
Attachments
IMG_20200307_141912~2_resize_63.jpg
IMG_20200307_141912~2_resize_63.jpg (120.5 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Windscreen Extension Mod

Post by Mel46 »

Hey, whatever works for you is good. However, you might consider where your body will go if you crash, and hope that little item doesn't cut your head off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Oh man you are reading my mind. I was thinking of that the last couple weeks. Will definitely try it now.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Gil wrote:Oh man you are reading my mind. I was thinking of that the last couple weeks. Will definitely try it now.

Cutting your head off?
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

you you wrote:
Gil wrote:Oh man you are reading my mind. I was thinking of that the last couple weeks. Will definitely try it now.

Cutting your head off?

I have tinnitus, so reducing noise while riding reduces the intensity of the tinnitus during and after the ride. I use musicians ear plugs by Alpine, that reduce the volume of the surrounding environment and protects your ears from irreversible ear damage from high noise levels. I recommend them to anyone that would like to protect their ears.

I have on order a spoiler for my current windshield. This one from ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Win ... Ptm9DQrK6g
Attachments
Ebay spoiler.
Ebay spoiler.
s-l1600 (1).jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
alpine ear plugs.jpg
alpine ear plugs.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Gil, I have thought about getting one of those for a little while now. I have the tall Givi windshield but it is just a little short for me, so the wind hits me in my face area. That is still OK when I have my full helmet on. It is just in the hottest part of the summer that I switch to the half helmet with eye protection. That wind deflector would work well then.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

RobV

Post by RobV »

Gil wrote:
you you wrote:

Cutting your head off?

I have tinnitus, so reducing noise while riding reduces the intensity of the tinnitus during and after the ride. I use musicians ear plugs by Alpine, that reduce the volume of the surrounding environment and protects your ears from irreversible ear damage from high noise levels. I recommend them to anyone that would like to protect their ears.

I have on order a spoiler for my current windshield. This one from ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Win ... Ptm9DQrK6g
I've had one of them (screen extension) on a previous bike. It was very good but expensive. It cost me $160 odd. Much more configurable than the cheapie I've got now. Other things to check is noise coming from below. Once you start getting tinnitus it tends to hang around - for life so worth some effort to avoid. I've had some issues, thus it's a sensitive topic for me too. I use custom made silicone plugs which are expensive but re-usable and given that I use them every day, well worth it.
RobV

Post by RobV »

Mel46 wrote:Hey, whatever works for you is good. However, you might consider where your body will go if you crash, and hope that little item doesn't cut your head off.
It does work. The wings are mounted on rubber washers & I can bend them by hand while riding so they're not likely cut anything more substantial than butter. Also the main screen is designed to break away in the event of a crash. I haven't pulled this one apart but all the other bikes I've had had break away screens, so having my head cut off by my screen wouldn't make the top 100 of things I worry about.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think that anyone taller than 5 ft.10 inches should consider one of those, or at least some kind of spoiler. It does make a difference. I created one once, just to see if I could, and it worked great. Eventually I took it off and just used a clear piece of car door edge guard on top of the tall windshield to break up the airflow. It seems to work for me. I am not riding as much now so that is all I need, but if I still took long day trips I would put the spoiler on.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150