Poor gas mileage with Forza

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Whitestix
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Poor gas mileage with Forza

Post by Whitestix »

I bought a used 2014 Forza with 80 miles on it last year and have maybe put 1K miles on it. At first, I was getting nearly 60 mpg, but the last time I filled up, my mileage had dropped to 48 mpg. I admit to being a bit of a jackrabbit pulling away from stop lights, but this mileage pretty much sucks. My former Reflex, driven in the same manner, got nearly 70 mpg.

Any ideas as to why my mileages is so poor? Thanks
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Re: Poor gas mileage with Forza

Post by davenowherejones »

The front and rear brakes may be dragging. Honda put very little grease on the the brake caliper pins. I wore out a lot of pads until I greased the pins properly.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

In Canada I get poor milage in the winter. Once it gets warm the milage improves. I am not sure why?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:In Canada I get poor milage in the winter. Once it gets warm the milage improves. I am not sure why?

Quicker warm up?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

you you wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:In Canada I get poor milage in the winter. Once it gets warm the milage improves. I am not sure why?

Quicker warm up?
I doubt it, being water cooled the Forza warms up quickly and easily maintains the temperature.

We have different gas in the winter, I am not sure if it makes a difference over summer grade.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Summer gas gets slightly better mpg

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what-i ... -gasoline/
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Winter gas gives a bit fewer MPG. But not that much.
Get your least favorite brother-in-law to grab both brake discs after a good run.....see if they're scalding from dragging pads.

Fish
Whitestix
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Whitestix »

Fish,
I appreciate your sense of humor in my plight to make my scooter more efficient. If I catch your drift, very hot discs might alert me to a sticky brake? Fair enough, that I can check myself. Thanks for chiming in.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

The reason is that most fuel injected engines have a temperature sensor and when the temperature drops, the fuel injection system puts more fuel in to the engine to make it run richer - works similar to a choke.
Calculon
Year: 2015

Post by Calculon »

I'm usually 65-70MPG when going highway speeds or lower, but when I hit freeway speeds, I'm usually in the mid 50sMPG, but that's stl 20MPG better than my car.
Whitestix
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Whitestix »

I have about 1200 miles on the 2014 scooter and just checked my mileage and I am at 54 mpg. The calipers don't seem to be sticking. Research provided by owners shows a range of 58 to 77 mpg, with a mean about 65 mpg, which was similar to that with my Reflex. I can't imagine the air cleaner is clogged, but I got a new K&N High Flow air filter and setting about to figure out how to do the swap.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The other main thing that determines your gas milage is wind. A high head wind will suck gas like crazy, a tailwind improves it. I can go up the Coquihalla Highway from about 100 elevation to about 4000 feet with a tailwind and get better MPG than downhill.

Air speed is king. Going really slow will also get you great mpg because of low airspeed. Going 80 mph will kill your mpg.

Going 60 mph in a 40 zone will get you a ticket on my road. Going 65 theoretically could give you jail time and impound. The nice officer put on his lights and let me slow down to 58 before he punched my ticket.

The best mpg I have is 104.8 Miles per Imperial Gallon. I will let you do the math for your area.
M0T0Geezer
Year: 2015 FORZA 300
Color: RED

Post by M0T0Geezer »

My 2015 Forza with 2500 mils is currently giving me 75+ mpg. Most of my riding is suburban at 40- 65 mph.

THINGS THAT KILL GOOD FUEL ECONOMY:
Jackrabbit starts.
Heavy and frequent braking.
Sustained high speeds.
Dragging brakes.
Dirty Air Filter.
Extremely worn drive belt.
Low Tire Pressure.
Low oil (or dry) gear case.
Stuck or "notchy" Variator.

Review the "automatic transmission" thread in this section. If your Variator has somehow become resistant to moving into "full-high" position then perhaps a good cleaning would be helpful. Yes, Windex works pretty good for that.

If Variator is in "full-high" trim, Your speedo should be indicating 60 mph when your tach is reading 6000 rpm.
2015 Forza 300
All My Motorcycles:
https://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm
Musicians: Some Songs For You:
https://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html
My Domain, Home Page:
https://www.dansher.com/
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

On one of my last Forza runs I got 64 miles per Canadian gallon which is very bad for me.

Today I decided to do an economy run to see if my Forza is broken. I went from Hope to Boston Bar and back to Hope, 140 km.

The tires were slightly over pressure at 37 psi according to my tire pressure monitoring valve caps reporting via bluetooth to my iPhone.

I had a tailwind going up the canyon and a slightly reduced head wind coming back down.

The temperature was about 80 degrees.

I tried to keep the speed at 80 kmph or less. The highway has sections posted at 100 kmph.

I spent almost more time looking in my mirror. I pulled off the road if anyone was behind me. There are lots of paved shoulders.

There was quite a bit of traffic today with lots of giant 30 wheel trucks carrying lumber and wood chips.

I got 97 miles per Canadian gallon. The Canadian gallon is bigger than the USA gallon (4.5 litres vs 4 litres).

I think my Forza is running OK at 134,263 kilometers.

But my body is crap. My feet hurt, my dick is turning outside in, my innie belly button is now an outtie, my stomach muscles are diastatis recti, they hurt always, the back of my head itches all the time, I get tired easily. 61 on Sunday if I live that long. One tired truck driver and we are all dead.

If I had known I would live this long I might have looked after my body a little better and other bullshit.

Party on, Dudes
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

My experience [Forza] has been low 80's in winter/ High 80's in summer.[mpg] Lightly traveled country roads with 30-45 mph speed limits.
Avoiding interstates has allot to do with it. Sure it would be in the 70's [mpg] maybe lower, at higher speeds. Occasionally have spirited
moments. Stop light "gran Prix" with a Tesla [unknown at the time] awhile back. Beat him half way into the intersection...just a blur after that.
More than likely,he gave me a head start...then he was gone. Generally more subdued, most of the time.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The low speeds gets the great mpg.

I wish I could do low speeds always but in the mountains there often is one road and that is a highway with big trucks.

I sure like fuel injection going up the mountain passes. Ours are not that high but even at 5000 feet my DR650 would struggle.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I got 95 mpg Canadian riding through the mountains from Merritt to Princeton on the gravel logging roads at 30 kmph. Too many cattle guards (Texas gates).

I need another Heidenau K66 rear tire soon. I get about 12,000 km out of a rear, not much, they are expensive. The K66 seems to be a good gravel road tire, very stable. More shit on the tires, mostly cows.

Don't eat old sushi while riding a motorcycle. Almost didn't make it.

I had bacon and eggs at 5000 ft in the clouds for breakfast at Zopkios on the Coquihalla Highway. The roadside snow is gone.

I spent $15 on gas to ride all day, not bad. I ate more than that, bad.