New PCX 150 Battery keeps going flat

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New PCX 150 Battery keeps going flat

Post by Mel46 »

There are 2 things to keep in mind when you buy a new bike.
1. How long was the battery on the shelf before it was put in the bike?
2. How long was the bike in the shipping container before it was assembled at the dealer?

A battery discharges all the time, whether it is being used or not. Eventually it will go bad, whether you use it or not.

When I purchased my bike it came with mice, already nested and happy. Of course, my bike was part of that nest. Within a week of buying the bike I had to return it to the dealer to have part of the wire harness replaced, thanks to those happy little creatures. I wonder how many times those little creatures were shocked as they chewed into live wires...ouch!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

You obviously have some type of current drain, a PCX operating properly can sit for weeks on end without a problem on the battery. I personally didn’t start mine for six weeks and it started up fine. Take it back to the dealer and tell them you have a current drain somewhere.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Most likely battery is shorted out.. replace battery and go from there.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Jge64 wrote:You obviously have some type of current drain, a PCX operating properly can sit for weeks on end without a problem on the battery. I personally didn’t start mine for six weeks and it started up fine. Take it back to the dealer and tell them you have a current drain somewhere.
+1. Only 3 months old ..... dealer can locate the current drain or if it's a faulty battery on their dime.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

+1. Only 3 months old ..... dealer can locate the current drain or if it's a faulty battery on their dime.
+2

I had an experience a few years ago buying a new battery for one of my motorcycles and it went bad in a month. Charging it up and making sure the terminals were tightened/cleaned properly did not achieve different results. It would be OK for a while and then kaput. It was in warm weather too . . ..

So I went back to my good 'ol reliable brand YUASA, spent the little bit of extra money, and it's still going strong now years later. That said I know they don't last forever. :roll:

Sometimes batteries can short circuit internally.

Sometimes batteries can drain if the ignition is left on and the bike is shut off with the kill switch . . . especially in daylight when you won't notice the headlight on.

For safety sake I urge you to bring it back to the dealer and have the situation resolved ASAP by a skilled technician. It's still on warranty right?.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

These small batteries loose capacity after the first time they are discharged to really low levels. Maybe the battery was let discharge to low levels by the previous owner/dealer. Try and get a warranty replacement. My scooter might have the original battery, at least it looks like the original. It's a 2013 Honda PCX. Also, my scoots has gone weeks without it running and it starts right up. Good luck.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Dose the scoot have a GPS tracker? I fitted one to mine as, where I live in Portugal I can't get theft insurance. It's fine in the summer when I use the scoot most days, but in winter I have to put it on a trickle charger as if not used for about five days it will flatten the battery.
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Not just recent PCX's, there are lots of unhappy 'Forza' people on FB as many of the new Forza's the past few years have battery problems - some dealers don;t squabble and replace them, some try and so a consumable not covered. Thing is, there are many poor quality batteries now being fitted by Honda across the range - far too many.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

the list of ''exclusions'' in my 2018/19 pcx 125 warranty booklet does not include the battery....which surprised me....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

It’s still under warrantee so the dealer should be doing the diagnostics. If the battery’s bad so be it but if there’s a battery drain they should identify and repair it.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i think mine might be going bad it wouldent start yesterday left it sit for 20 minutes and it fired up its 4 years old im going to replace it dont want to get stuck