Newbie Intro - Matt

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

mcgw
Year: 2019 PCX 150
Color: Bronze Metallic

Newbie Intro - Matt

Post by mcgw »

Hello everyone! I'm Matt and I live in Miami, FL. I am originally from Fort Worth, TX and relocated to Miami, FL five months ago. I had been really wanting another scooter (in the past I had a Honda Ruckus). I researched, and researched more, and ended up buying a 2019 Honda PCX 150. I've only had the PCX 150 for a couple of weeks, so I am still getting accustomed as I don't have too much riding experience. I'm enjoying taking it easy and getting acclimated. I look forward to interacting with you all in this forum and continuing to learn. Professionally I am an analyst in the investment business, and I am married to my husband, Jhon, El Colombiano. If you think wives don't let you have any fun, neither do husbands... hehe. I speak English and Spanish and a nice day for me is a day at the beach, and I have loved my two rides so far up and down A1A in Miami Beach. I bought the scooter to enjoy and to run around town on. My confidence increases each time I ride and I am always open to suggestions.

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Newbie Intro - Matt

Post by Jge64 »

Just be very careful around traffic in South Florida. I am right up the road from you in Fort Lauderdale, and unfortunately because there is such a mix of communities and tourists down here, people do not watch where they’re going, do not use turn signals, it is really atrocious.

I suggest you try to stay in neighborhoods and take a look at some maps to plan out where you can go they will keep you off main thoroughfare‘s. I use my bike in my neighborhood and for short errand trips, always trying to stay off main roads and interstates if I can.

A great read and will teach you a lot about how to ride:

https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motor ... 735&sr=8-2
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

welcome to the forum..

Do you guys have the ABS version of the 2019 over there?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
DiogoPT
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by DiogoPT »

Welcome :)
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

alx123 wrote:welcome to the forum..

Do you guys have the ABS version of the 2019 over there?
The ABS version is listed for sale on the Honda website, but the dealer I visited did not have the ABS version. I bought the CBS version.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hello again Miami Matt! L o v e r l y scooter pictured here. Loverly weather too I see.
That's not where I sit, it's 38 degrees here and dropping to 29 this evening. Why oh why did I leave Florida (that sounded like a song :D ) Anywho, as you stated (not quoting but...) you're taking your time getting acquainted. I'm Clapping. Good practice. Have you given thought (serious thought) to signing up for the MSF Course? Basic that is. Perfect time/temps in Florida to do that. You can take a One on one course, or a group course, you have choices. Both will cost you. Google around your town. Taking the course is a huge confidence builder plus the obvious..."learning how-to Ride" by pro instructors.
Hey speaking of Pro instructors, have you ever watched youtube videos of yer fellow Floridian...Ride like a Pro - Jerry Paladino? He has great dvd's on the market too. I have a few. He's an amazing teacher and his Videos are enjoyable to watch. Not ho-hum boring.

Oh yeah, I got a Sample:
Yes. His videos are all taken on manual bikes (mostly Harley's)...but a lot still applies to us scooter-er's ;) pay attention.
Grab yer bicycle...let's ride!

---> Member Glen also mentioned and linked you this book: Proficient Motorcycling. I highly recommend reading that as well.

Enough of me. Let's see and hear more from You :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

Thank you Glen & WhiteNoise for the book suggestion! I've ordered my copy on Amazon. I've also been watching videos and will check out more of Jerry's. I took the basic MSF course in Texas about 4 years ago, so another would be beneficial. Thanks for the warm welcome!
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Practice makes perfect! Ride everyday, and everyday you will get better. It's a good excuse for your husband too. 8)
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

One thing that may not have been mentioned yet is that you really need a helmet. I know that it is not required in some states, but only a fool would ride on public roads without one. Most of us would also suggest a mesh motorcycle jacket, but I know that it gets really hot down there, so I am sure there are many who don't wear jackets because of that. Safety is important.

If you have ever fallen off of a bicycle you know that it hurts. Flying off of a motorcycle or scooter is a guarantee that you will hurt. Even at 25 mph you will be hurt. Wear protection BEFORE the crash.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

Mel46 wrote:One thing that may not have been mentioned yet is that you really need a helmet. I know that it is not required in some states, but only a fool would ride on public roads without one. Most of us would also suggest a mesh motorcycle jacket, but I know that it gets really hot down there, so I am sure there are many who don't wear jackets because of that. Safety is important.

If you have ever fallen off of a bicycle you know that it hurts. Flying off of a motorcycle or scooter is a guarantee that you will hurt. Even at 25 mph you will be hurt. Wear protection BEFORE the crash.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Thanks, Mel46 for the welcome and guidance. I agree. I bought a mesh jacket with protectors, and a helmet after riding for about one week. Just yesterday, this cool wall hook arrived from Amazon to keep the helmet off the floor (space is limited in my small apartment). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777GRNPS/ Are you still liking the Takegawa lowering shocks? I'm not planning on doing anything immediately, but I like the idea of lowering the scooter slightly at some point.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I love my Takegawa Lowering shocks! They are adjustable and they do well at cushing the ride. They only lower the bike an inch or two, but I have them on both of our bikes so that my wife can ride either bike now. To lower it more I could lower the front forks as well, but doubt that I will. I love my bike just the way it is. :-)

I think the best add ons that I have put on my bike are the extra lights. The more visible you are, the better it is for your safety.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
docjones

Post by docjones »

I read with interest your post on lowering your PCX. You wrote that the Takegawa lowering shocks lower the PCX an inch or two.
Do they really lower it an inch or two at the seat? That sounds great to me and my short wife. Are these shocks easy to find? Any more info you can share would be great. My apologies for asking you first before looking on line.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

nice pcx ive got 2700 miles on mine