Idle/Stop problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Idle/Stop problems

Post by Yorkie150 »

I have a 2018 ( first reg July 2018 ) PCX 125cc with the full LED lights / clocks etc.....It is a UK model and is fitted with the Idle /stop system.

It was owned by a close friend of mine who sadly passed away due to cancer and the bike was laid up until Nov 2019 when I purchased it from his widow . Im not sure if it had been on a battery conditioner / charger during the period of no usage but it only had 106 miles on the clock when I took ownership.

I rode it a couple pf times in very cold weather in November , the idle stop system worked ok and then put it inside my un heated garage under a cover connected to an Optimate battery charger/conditioner. I took it out just after Christmas and the idle stop system was verty erratic - The green light would come on every once in a while and the Start stop system would activate at the traffic lights / junctions every other stop..I put this down to the cold....

Now today I went out or a 15 mile ride in temp of +10 deg C ...Dry and cloudy but not icy. I activated the start / stop system after a few miles of up and down steep hills - hoping that the engine was sufficiently warmed up. The green light on the dash came on briefly then went out...The start stop system would not activate.

The battery is fully charged and have checked the voltage which is around 14v...measured on a smart charger ...

All battery terminal connections were tight and I have no other devices / accessories connected - only a fly lead to an optimate

The local dealer says its probably the cold and if its not then dont worry however I like things to work if they are fitted.

The bike has now done 290miles from new....never been left out in the cold etc and always garaged...

My local dealer has gone back on his word stating that although its over a year old they were going to honour the warranty under the circumstances of my friends death and that the bike hasn't been used ....now they say the warranty is null and void...NICE !

So before I start looking further afield does anyone have any ideas as to why the start/stop system will not activate?

thanks in advance :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Idle/Stop problems

Post by you you »

The stop start won’t work until the bike has reached operating temperature and the battery is healthy enough.

I’d be tempted to see how it is with more use....
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I rode it for 15 miles or so and mostly on steep hills and then arriving home I left it in the garage ticking over...I would have assumed it would have reached optimum temperature ?

If its fitted - I like things to work...I appreciate its one or two miles per gallon saving but I would be interested to know why its not working...Battyer seems healthy and is charging / holding charge

:(
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

Honda UK have contacted me to confirm that they will honour the warranty on the PCX....So I will be making arrangements to get the scoot' serviced and also have the dealer repair the faulty Idle/stop under the warranty....as soon as the weather in the UK improves as the alternative dealer is about 20 miles from where I live and we are expecting snow in the UK so the Highways dept will no doubt be turning the roads into salty beaches with grit/salt imminently

** The local dealer who told me to ''live with the fault''. - has lost my future custom :)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Just another expensive PITA problem.. Eliminate it if possible.. Not worth the aggravation. Too many essential variables to keep it sound and operational.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yorkie150 wrote:Honda UK have contacted me to confirm that they will honour the warranty on the PCX....So I will be making arrangements to get the scoot' serviced and also have the dealer repair the faulty Idle/stop under the warranty....as soon as the weather in the UK improves as the alternative dealer is about 20 miles from where I live and we are expecting snow in the UK so the Highways dept will no doubt be turning the roads into salty beaches with grit/salt imminently

** The local dealer who told me to ''live with the fault''. - has lost my future custom :)

Castle?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

Craig’s Honda —— waste of space ——
masator
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Post by masator »

My idle/stop stopped working after the battery got drained. Never an issue before even with heated grips on. I jump started the bike and later charged the battery with optimate which showed it as healthy. Can you ask what was the issue when the dealer fixes it?
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

im going to ty and get it into Padgets Honda in West Yorkshire as soon as the weather improves as its quite a way off from where I live....I will defo' update this post as soon as the scoot' has been repaired
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Yorkie150 wrote:Craig’s Honda —— waste of space ——
Good name and shame them :lol:
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

PCX has been serviced today - first service even though its over a year old - warranty still valid thanks to Honda Customer services UK.....Unable to locate fault con idle/stop function as ''ran out of time in workshop'' ( services are pre booked time slots ) - So back tomorrow ....Possible - wheel sensor / battery / ecu ......Strange thing is that it worked for a couple of miles on the way home...spun straight around and went back..was told that battery had been disconnected for. short while having noticed that the clock was an hour and half out and even stranger the clocks had steamed up while inside the dealer workshop..Now this is a bike that has never been out in wet weather...is kept in a heated garage...and currently has only 400 miles on the clock..

The inside of the clock display is obviously ''wet'' at the bottom where the PCX logo is located and it looks like the interior surface of the clock screen has been wiped with an oily rag as there is a blueish tint like oil on the inside surface ...yet this is apparently a sealed unit...
Dealer advised and photos sent - hope fully to sort out tomorrow...