Minor crash

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Minor crash

Post by Mel46 »

Just something that I have learned in riding for 50 years: drivers are unpredictable. Be aware, but don't tell yourself that the other driver won't do something. He will.

I have seen drivers turn left from the far right lane.
I have seen drivers at a busy intersection drive into oncoming traffic because their turn was one block away and traffic was moving too slow for their tastes.
I saw someone yesterday come out the entrance to a shopping center, go across 5 lanes of traffic, to get to a street that he could have gotten to much easier if they had just driven to the light! I suspect that he felt that waiting in line was something that he just doesn't do. Because he didn't have a stop sign coming out of the shopping center, since it was an entrance only, he did not stop before proceeding across the busy road. I doubt that he would have seen a motorcycle or a scooter on that busy street. I doubt it would have influenced him anyway.

My point is that you can not account for every possible situation. Drivers are just too unpredictable. Practice is good, but still dress for the crash.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

ABS should go a long ways towards preventing high-side dismounts which are precipitated by the rear tire losing grip - then suddenly regaining it. This can happen when cornering, and when braking.
Simple ABS won't help when cornering too fast - but it will prevent a locked rear wheel in the common panic stop. The rear tire locks (while the front is not locked) and the rear of the scoot starts to slide sideways - the rider eases off the rear brake - the rear tire grabs the pavement while the rear tire is not in line with the direction of travel - and a high-side dismount of the rider occurs.

more reasons for scooters to have two wheel ABS

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

alx123 wrote:I went down when I locked my rear brake, so both brakes should be ABS imo.
You would have been aware of the rear locking because it will happily skid in a straight line but when a front locks the thing usually goes down instantly with no warning at all.
So chances are you locked the front as well without realising.
ABS on both wheels is preferable, but ABS on the front only is a significant upgrade from CBS.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:
you you wrote: I think you might be overthinking it. Learn from it, forget about it and move on.
your'e right, i'm overthinking it.

I should've just said that ABS would be a welcome addition. End of story.

Excellent. Move on. You are better than this.

Get back on and enjoy.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

fish wrote:ABS should go a long ways towards preventing high-side dismounts which are precipitated by the rear tire losing grip - then suddenly regaining it. This can happen when cornering, and when braking.
Simple ABS won't help when cornering too fast - but it will prevent a locked rear wheel in the common panic stop. The rear tire locks (while the front is not locked) and the rear of the scoot starts to slide sideways - the rider eases off the rear brake - the rear tire grabs the pavement while the rear tire is not in line with the direction of travel - and a high-side dismount of the rider occurs.

more reasons for scooters to have two wheel ABS

Fish
I think this is what happened to me.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

gn2 wrote:
alx123 wrote:I went down when I locked my rear brake, so both brakes should be ABS imo.
You would have been aware of the rear locking because it will happily skid in a straight line but when a front locks the thing usually goes down instantly with no warning at all.
So chances are you locked the front as well without realising.
ABS on both wheels is preferable, but ABS on the front only is a significant upgrade from CBS.
Thing is, I did not use the front brake..unless the CBS did its job and activated the front somehow.

I think Honda should just install ABS on both brakes and remove CBS.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

UK 125 cc models have ABS on front brake and no CBS.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Thing is, I did not use the front brake..unless the CBS did its job and activated the front somehow.
I always does, something like 70% to the front and 30% to the rear. I think that's what the approximate distribution is, I know the combined system that Moto Guzzi used on their older MCs used that sort of %s.
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by pxc-in-japan »

Jge64 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:12 pm ]People turning left in front of you and not seeing you, accounts for almost 80% of all the accidents that bikes are involved in. In addition to the couple actions you noted above, I would add some fork lights to the front forks, easy to do, a lot of us here are using the Kawell light off Amazon ....effective and super cheap. You need to get more visible.
Hi.
Any chance of a model name for those lights, please?
And a quick description of wiring them would be great, with a note on how you fastened them to your forks.
Just looked (2022 November) and there are lots of lights of that brand on the site now.
I think these look about right.

Thanks a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL-lights-Of ... 3D&sr=8-13
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image