Topbox/rack Load

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

solemndawn
Year: 2016
Color: White

Topbox/rack Load

Post by solemndawn »

Hi All,

I've bought a topbox off of a mate, but discovered after that an E360 Monokey weighs 5KG by itself.

I was about to order the Givi SR1136 rack for it, but it is only specc'd for 3KG, same as the Honda OEM rack.

I realise there has to be a factor of safety built in when these things were designed, but I don't fancy my top-box going overboard on me on the highway *cringe*

I'm left wondering what kind of load y'all have gotten away with on a Givi SR1136 Rack? (and if anyone has a pair of calipers handy, how thick is the steel?)

Thanks in advance :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Topbox/rack Load

Post by gn2 »

To give an idea of the strength of the Givi rack, I've lifted the scooter with it.
The problem isn't what weight the rack can cope with, it's the effect of the weight on handling.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I have bought a few big liter top boxes and while super useful just could not get past how it affected handling no matter how much I liked the box.

Some notice it some don't. If you are in it for the " ride" you probably will.

I now ride with a 40 liter top box that is super light.
:geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I traded down from my Burgman I left the larger tail box on the Burgman for a reason. My wife had a PCX, which is what I was trading down to. I put my larger tail box on her bike, loaded it, and went for a ride on the highway (55 mph +). I felt the wind hitting the bigger box, affecting the handling. I put her smaller box on and went for a ride. Much better. Now we have identical bikes with identical tail boxes and they handle as they should at higher speeds.

Knowing this, if you are only traveling locally at in town speeds you may not notice much difference in handling except when cornering.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
AC_ING
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by AC_ING »

Hi, I am new with my PCX and want to buy the DLM30 Givi but the dealer didnt recommend it.

What do you think, too heavy or big for the PCX ?
StillThumps
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: White

Post by StillThumps »

Looking at the DLM30 online, my only concern would be the width of the rectangular DLM 30 topbox..and the fact that it doesn’t seem to quite fit the scooter’s styling. I have a 34L Givi monolock topcase on my 2021 PCX and it works great and fits the scooter’s styling really well for me.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you are worried about the rack itself, it is quite capable of handling heavy loads. Recently I removed my tail box for the day and installed a milk crate so that I could carry our empty gas cans to the gas station for fill up. I have 5 gas containers of varying sizes, probably equaling around 10 gallons. Once full and reloaded onto the bike, off I went with No problems.

I was thinking on the way home with that load that I could really travel a great distance with this much gas onboard! (My tank was full, which is about 1.5 gallons. Add another 10 gallons @ 100 mpg...I could go half way across this country without stopping for gas??!!)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
AC_ING
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by AC_ING »

StillThumps wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:10 pm Looking at the DLM30 online, my only concern would be the width of the rectangular DLM 30 topbox..and the fact that it doesn’t seem to quite fit the scooter’s styling. I have a 34L Givi monolock topcase on my 2021 PCX and it works great and fits the scooter’s styling really well for me.
First, thanks for yours answers.

That's right, but the form factor is why I choose it. All the others are designed primarily for helmets, and I always put mine under the seat.

On the other hand I can accommodate square shape things (like a briefcase) as long as it does not exceed the weight.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:16 pm To give an idea of the strength of the Givi rack, I've lifted the scooter with it.
The problem isn't what weight the rack can cope with, it's the effect of the weight on handling.
Nobody seems to be listening to this. The more you put on the backbox the more it takes the weight of the front wheel. Weight above and behind the rear wheel is probably the worst place it can be.

Keep the heavy stuff under the seat if you can.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

I have ridden with 25lbs, and maybe more in my Top box and the same under the seat, sometimes at the same time. Of course it affects the handling, but you just need to be aware of it and not ride like a fool. The rack and box will hold the weight. Also remember that if you crash and the box comes loose you will have a rather heavy projectile flying off somewhere.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S