Our Christmas Gift

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Our Christmas Gift

Post by JohnL »

After months of bushfires, smoke and dust, and seeing nothing but a red sun, it finally rained last night, Christmas Eve. We got over 30mm (1" plus). It has cooled everything down and our lime tree and passionfruit look alive again. :D :D :D

We couldn't wish for a better Christmas gift.

To all members, Merry Christmas, happy holidays or whatever you're celebrating at this time of year.

Peace. :D :D :D
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Our Christmas Gift

Post by NADman »

:D Happy for you and yours. :D
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Great post!
Merry Christmas from Ohio.....
Fish
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Wonderful to hear! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

John, you might want to call that a Miracle.
I smiled so wide when I read your post. God Blessed You and Your Wife this Christmas (and your fruit trees too).
Enjoy Seeing One Another and All that is :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Great news John!

And a Happy New Year to you and your family as well. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think that was a wonderful Christmas gift! While kids think of toys for Christmas they forget how great is is to be able to go outside and play. Brush fires are not their friends, and clean air sure makes life easier. :-)
Here is hoping that your New Year is happy and healthy.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

are you still in the clear John? I know you've been in a nightmare, according to the news its not over yet :x
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

halluinoid wrote:are you still in the clear John? I know you've been in a nightmare, according to the news its not over yet :x
Yes, thank you, we are perfectly safe, the nearest fires are over 100km away. Just learned this morning that a 12-tonne firetruck was flipped on its roof by a fire tornado. The truck has a crawl space behind the main cabin and there were two men inside it. Sadly a 28 year old volunteer was in the space and was killed. He was married last year and his wife is pregnant, it's heartbreaking. The other guy was also badly injured and burnt.

We are in a different world now, and I fear for my grandkids.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

John usually pretty wet here in BC but when it dries out in the summer with the amount of fuel load things can get scary in a hurry.
A few years back drove through a forest fire in the interior of the province, both sides of the road were burning,when I felt safe enough, stopped and got out of the vehicle,
the sound of the draft the fire was creating is something I'll never forget.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

If you've ever been in a tunnel and a train comes through at speed, that's what it sounds like.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: PCX Black

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Happy New Year to you JohnL
As you may know my daughter lives not far from you in North Lakes so I have been keeping a close eye on the terrible events in Oz , Hope when all the fires are put out , the firefighters men and women and those that are volunteers get the recognition they deserve. Brave brave people . Hope the very unfortunate people who have lost homes and loved ones have some good news in the coming months .
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

Every morning Alice and I watch our national broadcaster the ABC, and for the past month, all we have seen for hours are fire reports from reporters based all around Australia. We have never seen such disasters in our 77 years on earth, and we're getting absolutely pathetic responses from our politicians. We are facing a new damaged world and getting nothing but platitudes from our so-called political leaders. Faith alone can not protect us from what is happening, we need leadership and positive action.

Rant over. :( :( :( :(
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Hey John,

If it was me I would have canceled the fireworks in Sydney. And I never outgrew enjoying fireworks displays. But under the circumstances to go on with them was a "cold hearted" decision IMHO.

Kind of reminded me of the movie "Jaws" when they didn't want to close the beaches . . .. :roll:

When I saw the people gathering on the beaches to escape the flames I sincerely felt sorrow.

You speak words of wisdom. You should chime in more often. I sometimes wonder if Rome will fall once again. But this time on a planetary scale. o_O

The leftover Merlot is finished. I think I'll open the Chardonnay. No sense letting that spoil over the Winter. LOL!!!

Spring will come soon enough and the migrating birds will gather again.

A brief scene from "A Perfect Storm". It does make one think . . ..

All that said, Cheers and Hopes that you and your wife will have a Happy New Year. :D

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

Thanks for the kind words OG.

We will be having a happy start to the New Year, as we are sharing a beach house for a week in a safe area with twelve members of our family.

We have a close family of nineteen, including three daughters and one son (all married), and nine grandchildren. Each year my youngest daughter and son-in-law rent a beach house and we gather there for a week or more, and it's a wonderfully happy occasion.

My son-in-law has a boat and he and another son-in-law go fishing most days. The rest of us hang out on the beach, dine out, or the girls go shopping locally. I get to play the clown for my family and we drink moderately (well mostly) together most nights.

This is the highlight of our year and sets us up for whatever lies ahead. :D :D :D :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Hang tough John.

I saw in the news this morning they are sending in more firefighters and the U.S. is sending help too!

Bindi Irwin said her place has treated 90,000 critters so far.

Unbelievable . . .. :roll:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow, things have definitely taken a turn for the worst. Now....Fire tornado's!! WTHell, Looks like Hell!

I Never knew of Fire Tornado's John, then I watched a video taken in Australia of a twister erratically dancing among the blazes...now I Know. I played it again and again! My God! What in the world is happening? No words. The horror, the fear, the loss.......the

Truth, I'm relieved when You post. That tells us you're ok. How else would we know?
You and Your Family matter to your other family....our Family.
I'm happy ya'll all gathered together as usual this time of year. A Beach house, very nice. Distraction, comfort, love needed and welcomed I'm sure.
Be strong be safe Please Keep Posting
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

A New Year's gift to you.
Love this thing....no idea who won.

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Reports here that the area of Australia which is on fire is bigger than the whole of Belgium.
Burnt - Edited.jpg
Burnt - Edited.jpg (569.75 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart

Post by JohnL »

Thank you all for your concern, it's obvious we're facing a new unknown world and I'm not sure how to process the information yet. We have lived through possibly the best period on this earth, and have obviously mistreated this treasure of ours, and am now paying the price.

We will never regain the paradise we have lost, and I grieve for our kids and grandkids, but life will go on. The sad part is this new generation will never know the wonderful place it once was.

Apart from that, I woke up again this morning, so onward we go. :) :) :)